St. Xavier vs. Lakota West (Week 1)

Colerain vs StX (X leads series 24-16)
1984 X won 19-14 (Steve Rasso HC StX and Colerain HC ????)
1985 X lost 28-21
1986 X won ????
1987 X won ????
1988 X won ????
1989 X won 21-0
1990 X won 34-7

1991 Kerry Coombs becomes head coach at Colerain
1991 X won ????
1992 X won ????
1993 X won ????
1994 X lost 21-7
1994 X lost 9-0 Regional Finals at Nippert Stadium
1995 X lost 26-7
1996 X lost 14-6
1998 X won 42-14
2000 X lost 35-30

2004 Steve Specht becomes head coach at StX replacing Steve Rasso
2005 X won 7-0 Week 1 Crosstown Showdown at Nippert Stadium
2005 X won 12-9 2nd Round at Bengal's Paul Brown Stadium
2006 X lost 24-7 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium

2007 Tom Bolden replaces Kerry Coombs as head coach
2007 X won 29-14 Regional Final at Nippert Stadium
2008 X lost 13-8 Week 1 at Nippert Stadium
2009 X won 16-0 Week 1 at Nippert Stadium
2010 X won 24-23 1st Round at Nippert Stadium
2011 X won 17-14 Week 3 at Colerain
2011 X won 28-15 2nd Round at Nippert Stadium
2012 X lost 31-28 Week 3 at Ballaban Field
2012 X lost 35-14 1st Round at Colerain
2013 X lost 31-19 Week 2 at Colerain
2014 X won 31-12 Week 2 at Ballaban Field
2014 X won 29-21 2nd Round at Hamilton Virgil Schwarm Stadium
2015 X lost 13-10 (OT) Week 2 at Colerain
2015 X lost 42-14 2nd Round at Dwier Field in Mason
2016 X lost 20-14 (OT) in Week 2 at Ballaban Field
2016 X won 29-23 (OT) 2nd Round at Hamilton Virgil Schwarm Stadium
2017 X won 20-17 (OT) Week 2 at Colerain
2017 X lost 21-14 Regional Final at Dwier Field in Mason
2018 X lost 14-12 in Week 2 at Ballaban Field
2018 X lost 35-9 1st Round at Colerain

2019 Shawn Cutright replaces Tom Bolden at Colerain
2019 X won 21-14 in Week 2 at Colerain
2021 X won 42-7 in Week 2 at Colerain

Mostly spot on. Under Coombs, Colerain only faced St.X once during the regular season. In Herby, they usually were matched up against Elder, since they were the power in R4 before Specht. And then Colerain had their "neighborhood" match-up with LaSalle (before they started recruiting ?).

St. X and Colerain squared off 3 times in the Herby before Specht and Bolden decided to make it a home/home since Herbstriet wanted to expose the best teams to more match-ups. St. X and Colerain had 4 consecutive contracts expiring in 2019. Which is when the contract was then signed with LW, since it was all about Specht and Bolden.

Interesting Facts about the 2 coaches:
Specht started in 04 and Bolden 07. Since then they've played eachother in 14 of Bolden's 15 seasons (only year was Bolden's first at LW). 6 of the last 7 non-covid years, the two coaches have played eachother in the regular season and playoffs.

They have an 11-11 record with Bolden having a 6-5 record in the regular season and Specht having a 6-5 record in the playoffs. Specht won 7 of the first 11 meetings and Bolden has won 7 of the last 11 meetings.

It seems like every time these two make scheme changes, it's always tailored to just beat the other team because they always believe they'll meet in the playoffs.
So ReLoad's post does a better job of encapsulating what I didn't want to look up. First, you refer to the Herbie when I think you meant the Crosstown Showdown. Not sure they ever met in the Herbie as the Herbie almost always pitted the local teams vs. out of town or out of state teams.

As you can see from the ReLoad's post, there were many regular season Colerain/X match-ups early in Kerry's career (and a few postseason games too). Looks like those regular season match-ups ended in 2000. Between 2001 - 2007, it appears the only match-ups were in the playoffs except the 2005 game (could have been Herbie, could have been Showdown - not sure - but I do remember that game).

2008 and 2009 were Showdown games (I believe) as were many of the others (technically) thereafter, although they were played at on-campus sites. Starting in 2011 it appears it was all home and home which ended last year. It is unlikely it will ever return.

Like Princeton/Moeller in the 70s/80s it was great while it lasted, but it has run its course...

ReLoad coming with the receipts. Great info there. L Hand, agreed that it was the end of a great rivalry.

For this game, you can basically chalk up scouting reports and returning starter reports. Both coaches will come out with new looks they've been cooking up all off-season.

West should be stout on defense even though they lost a lot. X lost a ton on defense but they aren't stranger to that and will reload at a high level.

X will probably be a little further behind on offense with a new starting QB and will probably rely on a ground and pound running game that Specht has hinted on. Can West stop this? We know they can stop the pass.

West brings back talent at QB and WR, but will a new line give them time to throw. The 3-3-5 and its different looks it can present in will give an inexperienced line fits. Also, West has an unknown at RB.

Predicting low score. 10-7 type in a coin flip

X will probably be a little further behind on offense with a new starting QB and will probably rely on a ground and pound running game that Specht has hinted on. Can West stop this? We know they can stop the pass.
X roster just released.
Can't believe how much bigger the StX OLinemen have gotten since last year roster
OLine Updated Wt (L to R): 275-*288-283-292-308
*may be in rotation with a smaller LG (235lb)

So ReLoad's post does a better job of encapsulating what I didn't want to look up. First, you refer to the Herbie when I think you meant the Crosstown Showdown. Not sure they ever met in the Herbie as the Herbie almost always pitted the local teams vs. out of town or out of state teams.

As you can see from the ReLoad's post, there were many regular season Colerain/X match-ups early in Kerry's career (and a few postseason games too). Looks like those regular season match-ups ended in 2000. Between 2001 - 2007, it appears the only match-ups were in the playoffs except the 2005 game (could have been Herbie, could have been Showdown - not sure - but I do remember that game).

2008 and 2009 were Showdown games (I believe) as were many of the others (technically) thereafter, although they were played at on-campus sites. Starting in 2011 it appears it was all home and home which ended last year. It is unlikely it will ever return.

Like Princeton/Moeller in the 70s/80s it was great while it lasted, but it has run its course..

When the OHSAA expanded the playoffs to 16 teams in a region, that practically guaranteed every GMC school would qualify. That was the green light for the conference to go to a full round-robin in football. No need to hunt for Harbin points outside the conference, so there is only one open date per team (the first week). Smart move by the GMC. You can't play everyone outside the league.

When the OHSAA expanded the playoffs to 16 teams in a region, that practically guaranteed every GMC school would qualify. That was the green light for the conference to go to a full round-robin in football. No need to hunt for Harbin points outside the conference, so there is only one open date per team (the first week). Smart move by the GMC. You can't play everyone outside the league.
The other thing it changed was that a good-decent GMC school playing a GCL school was very unlikely to harm that team's chances of making the playoffs where in the past, the almost certain loss for GMC teams not named Lakota West - nee Colerain made GMC - GCL regular season match-ups (other than the Colerain/Lakota West ones) few and far between.

While, I don't mind the GMC going to a nine game schedule as that is their prerogative, it would have been nice if Moeller/Sycamore could be a regular match-up, not to mention Colerain/LaSalle and maybe Oak Hills/Fairfield/Princeton v. Elder. And while it is true that most of those games would likely be a W for the GCL school, I still think it would help the GMC schools get a better idea of the baseline they need to play if they want to advance in the post season (rather than just get there every year). Not to mention, the value of neighborhood rivalry games being good for the kids and the fans.

Offensively Lakota West is led by 3 year varsity starter #7 senior QB Mitch Bolden (6’1” 195lb)
His stats from 2 games vs X last season is underwhelming: 81 rushes for 162 yards; 12 for 33 for 126 yards 2 TDs and 2 INTs

This year’s running back is #26 junior Jiovionni Wilson 5’9” 150lb

Last year’s leading receiver returns: 3 year varsity starter and Army recruit #4 Trent Lloyd (51 catches for 612 yards and 8 TDs)

The OLine is led by senior center #75 Alex Key (6’3” 270lb) and senior left tackle #72 Tony Curtis (6’1” 250lb
The strength of this Firebird team is it’s defense led by 3 D1 commits.
Look for Hartford and Ben Minich to play receivers on offense on passing downs.

LW Defense
LE #90 Elijah Davis Jr. 6’2” 265lb
NG #95 Jonas Griffith Jr. 6’0” 250lb
RE #97 Gabe Flores Jr. 6’2” 230lb
LB #44 Micah Markley So. 6’1” 205lb
MLB #5 Michael Brankamp Sr. 6’1” 210lb
LB #11 Jacob Asbeck Jr. 6’1” 185lb
FS #1 Malik Hartford Sr. 6’2” 175lb Ohio State commit
SS #13 Ben Minich Sr. 6’1” 180lb Notre Dame commit
S #10 Drew Minich Jr. 6’2” 175lb
CB #12 Bukari Miles Jr. 6’1” 180lb
CB #2 Josh Fussell Sr. 6’0” 180lb Northwestern commit
Small correction. Drew Minich does not start on this team. Bennie-Powell will start at Corner not Miles he is out for the year with an injury.

This defense will have their hands full stopping the run vs X.

Small correction. Drew Minich does not start on this team. Bennie-Powell will start at Corner not Miles he is out for the year with an injury.

This defense will have their hands full stopping the run vs X.
Small correction to both of you. Drew Minich is the starting CB alongside Fussel while Bennie-Powell is the starting hybrid backer/nickel.
Taebron Bennie-Powell is 6’2-6’3 195lb. He will wear 3 this year.

Got my tickets and looking forward to watching a good Chess Match. Lot of talent on both teams. I might give the edge to LW at this point but somehow I feel like these two teams will play again later in the season.

Just heard Lakota West Trent Lloyd is not playing in this game? Can someone confirm? ST X will be smiling in Finneytown. That will effect the offense if true.

I will be watching this game on Youtube Stream tonight does anyone know if its a free stream or you have to pay?

Just heard Lakota West Trent Lloyd is not playing in this game? Can someone confirm? ST X will be smiling in Finneytown. That will effect the offense if true.

I will be watching this game on Youtube Stream tonight does anyone know if its a free stream or you have to pay?
Not sure about Lloyd, if he plays big + for West, if not it hurts but they have scrimmaged and 7 on 7’d without him all summer so his backup shouldn’t have the “deer in headlights” effect that bad. I know Lakota west is streaming free on YouTube through there student broadcast team.

Yeah, usually game 3 or 4 of the season. The relationship between Bolden and Specht was probably the deciding factor in which GMC team X would play, since that conference has its 9 game schedule now.
Unfortunately, after Bolden left Colerain, the Cards have fallen into mediocrity. But it was more of a Bolden vs Specht friendly rivalry, regardless of what team. Although I am an X homer, this game is up for grabs. There's no way to see how this will turn out. The winner will be the team that makes the least mistakes.

Lakota West 16
St Xavier 13

Final

West was the better team; congrats to West!

Surprised by Hartford's antics, unnecessary roughness-targeting-ejected, taunting and taking a helmet off; all on the same play- Dumb, dumb and dumber.

Lakota West 16
St Xavier 13

Final

West was the better team; congrats to West!

Surprised by Hartford's antics, unnecessary roughness-targeting-ejected, taunting and taking a helmet off; all on the same play- Dumb, dumb and dumber.

Stop it. He did NOT take his helmet off. His helmet fell off when he hit the WR. It was a vicious hit yes. It's hard to say if he was even taunting.

If they had review, I wonder if they would have even called targeting.

I imagine the posters making ignorant comments about Hartfords hit had to be in attendance. Because if you were watching on TV it’s blatantly obvious how clean and awesome that hit was. Grumpy GCL dads are whining while Ohio State absolutely loves it.

I do get that if I was an X fan and in attendance I would probably think it was a cheap helmet to helmet hit on a defenseless WR. Watching on the live steam, it looked like it might not have been targeting. Hard to tell because it was a very quick hit and happened fast.

If Hartford used his helmet to initiate contact on the WR then it is targeting. If he hit the WR with his shoulder/body it is not targeting. I'm not sure if defenseless WR comes into play or not in high school.
I saw it on TV replay 20 times. It’s as good of a hit as you can have. Head is off to the side and the strike is via shoulder straight across the numbers. Film reveals all.

Why? That’s a completely legal big boy hit in a big time
Wrong, he got ejected for targeting. But it wasn't the hit. It was the taking the helmet off. Taunting the kid as he's writhing around. Taunting the crowd as he walks off.

And yeah, he's 17. Bolden has to be the one with the stones to take responsibility and bench the kid, but we know Tommy Boy won't.