St. Xavier Football 2021

I think it is important to note the $1MM donation is being used to set up an endowment for the football program so moving forward the football program will always be funded. More than likely the football program will never have to use any of the school money to fund or purchase anything. Basically the StX football program is now funded for life.

I've heard that too - although it was very possible it was from you and it was on here. :) Regardless, if we are willing to cough up stadium naming rights for 1,000,000 and lots of schools (including Elder) have much better video boards than we do, should be time to revisit that issue.
I agree completely. I think the current St X leadership are more open to that type of upgrade.

The new scoreboard we have is really slick. It has scoreboard options for every sport and can run replays/ads/video full screen then switch back to scoreboard mode. We just haven't utilized it to its capabilities (yet - that I have seen).

I think it is important to note the $1MM donation is being used to set up an endowment for the football program so moving forward the football program will always be funded. More than likely the football program will never have to use any of the school money to fund or purchase anything. Basically the StX football program is now funded for life.

If you think a $1MM endowment is enough to ensure everything the football program ever needs will always be funded, then I've got a bridge to sell you (or at least give you naming rights for). Frankly, I thought $1MM sounded a little light for permanent naming rights - but I don't have the slightest idea what to compare it to.

Regardless, I assumed (and hoped) this is just the start of setting up a booster endowment fund like colleges have that will eventually grow to a much more significant amount - one where really big ticket items, like overpaying really good coaches (in particular, assistant coaches who might have to take a pay cut to be a head coach somewhere else - and yes, I am currently thinking of a specific offensive coordinator) and the aforementioned scoreboard could be covered as well.

The new scoreboard we have is really slick. It has scoreboard options for every sport and can run replays/ads/video full screen then switch back to scoreboard mode. We just haven't utilized it to its capabilities (yet - that I have seen).

What do you mean new? How new? At the very least, the one we had last time I was at the stadium should be twice as big.

What do you mean new? How new? At the very least, the one we had last time I was at the stadium should be twice as big.

Not sure what you do for investment advise, but the $1MM is plenty.

StX is going to put the money in an endowment that is going to make 6 to 8 percent interest a year. That alone is $60,000 to $80,000 on average and obviously the endowment amount will grow. The program is still going to make money on selling tickets, advertising, etc during the season. In a 5 to 7 year period the endowment is going to be well over $1.5MM plus. StX won't even have to dip into endowment if they just keep doing what they have been doing with ticket sales, concessions, etc.

It is pretty simple math

Not sure what you do for investment advise, but the $1MM is plenty.

StX is going to put the money in an endowment that is going to make 6 to 8 percent interest a year. That alone is $60,000 to $80,000 on average and obviously the endowment amount will grow. The program is still going to make money on selling tickets, advertising, etc during the season. In a 5 to 7 year period the endowment is going to be well over $1.5MM plus. StX won't even have to dip into endowment if they just keep doing what they have been doing with ticket sales, concessions, etc.

It is pretty simple math

Not sure what you know about running football programs, but 60 - 80k per year doesn’t go that far particularly if you want to use money to help pay significant portions of coaches salaries (not to mention facility upgrades).

I agree that the math is simple, you just don’t understand the numbers. 1 million is a nice start but it is a long way from what I would be looking for.

I understand the numbers and how everything works... plus the guys at StX are pretty smart dudes. They wouldn't do anything foolish. It all works pretty well.

I understand the numbers and how everything works... plus the guys at StX are pretty smart dudes. They wouldn't do anything foolish. It all works pretty well.

I am not sure I understand your point. I never said anything to the contrary about the guys at StX being "pretty smart dudes." All I have said is that this is a nice start to a football endowment. I doubt anyone (other than you) thinks it is the end.

I would imagine that St X approached Bronson Trebbi for a donation, like they do many well to do alumni. The conversation led to the idea of buying the naming rights to the stadium and they settled on a dollar amount. Since there was not a specific need related to the stadium they decided to fund an endowment to support the football program. I don't think this will change how St X normally goes about funding the football program, but it does provide them with some flexibility for program needs that fall outside of the norm. I don't think this was intended to fund the program in place or how it was historically been funded

I would imagine that St X approached Bronson Trebbi for a donation, like they do many well to do alumni. The conversation led to the idea of buying the naming rights to the stadium and they settled on a dollar amount. Since there was not a specific need related to the stadium they decided to fund an endowment to support the football program. I don't think this will change how St X normally goes about funding the football program, but it does provide them with some flexibility for program needs that fall outside of the norm. I don't think this was intended to fund the program in place or how it was historically been funded

Totally agree. But if this starts the endowment for the football program where none existed before, then it is great seed money and a good start (and, as you noted in other posts, seems to represent a change in the school's historical approach/attitude).

So does anybody know when season ticket applications will come out? I'm assuming that it will be back to SOP starting in the fall, but haven't heard definitively yet.

MaxPreps names the 3 most followed Football Programs in Ohio:
1. Massillon
2. St X
3. St Ed”s

Agree?
Hard to disagree since it is based on page views from their site. That is predicated in part on how often teams show up on the MaxPreps pages. The fans of Massillon are truly loyal as they probably get less MaxPreps press than a number of other Ohio schools.

On their site they had a list of schools that have had multiple appearances in the MaxPreps top 25 since 2010. The top three schools were:
DeLasalle (Ca.) 9 times
Bishop Gorman (Nv) 8 times
Central (Miami) 8 times.

As for the Ohio schools here are the numbers

4 x - St Eds
2 x - Moeller, St X, Hoban, Pick Central
1 x - LaSalle, Mentor, Ignatius

So does anybody know when season ticket applications will come out? I'm assuming that it will be back to SOP starting in the fall, but haven't heard definitively yet.
Answer - today. Just got the email in my in-box for season tix renewals. Getting closer ...

With Jr Rob Fogler looking like a big time tackle prospect all of the sudden, I wonder if Koch moves to guard. If so, that line is going to average 275+. Yikes.

2021 StX Football Schedule
08/06 H Mason (Scrimmage)
08/12 H Massillon Washington (Scrimmage) 2pm
08/20 H West Chester Lakota West
08/27 A Cincinnati Colerain
09/03 A Powell Olentangy Liberty
09/10 A Mishawaka Penn (IN)
09/17 A Cincinnati Archbishop Moeller at Nippert Stadium
09/24 H Cincinnati Elder
10/01 H Louisville Trinity (KY)
10/08 H Cincinnati La Salle
10/16 A Cleveland St. Ignatius 2pm
10/22 H Eagles Landing Christian Academy (GA)
Game Time 7pm unless noted otherwise

Last Updated 7/1/2021

Massillon making the trip to Cincinnati for a Thursday afternoon scrimmage
Anybody know where the Ignatius game will be played? Byers in Parma? John Carroll U? Lakewood Stadium?

Last edited:
2021 Projected Lineups
Last Updated: 7/1/2021

Bomber Offense
QB #15 Brogan McCaughey Sr. 6'2” 195lb / #10 Kyle Fitzgerald Jr 6'3" 190lb / AJ Golden So. 6'1" 190lb / Mac Rueve So. / Chase Herbstreit Fr.
RB #20 Charles Kellom Sr. 6'0" 196lb / #31 Luke Vrsansky Sr. 5'8” 175lb / #23 Chase Eary Sr. 6'0" 195lb
TE1/WR2 #18 Max Klare Sr. 6’4” 220lb
TE2/WR2 #88 Joey Wassler Jr. 6’4” 200lb / #85 Cade Czarnecki Sr. 6’3” 195lb
WR #13 Ryan Nolan Sr. 6’3” 195lb / #40 Tyler Nicholson Jr.
Slot Receiver #8 Terrell McFarlin Sr. 6'0" 177lb / #34 Robert Houston Jr. 5'10" 165lb
LT #74 Cameron Collins Sr. 6’4” 265lb / #62 Jack Larsen Sr. 6'2" 270lb
LG Evan Fleetwood Jr. 6'3" 280lb / #63 Kyle Lamping Sr. 6'1" 221lb
C #75 Brian Parker Sr. 6'5” 285lb / #64 Jordan Ruther Sr. 6’1” 226lb
RG #61 Nick Uhl Sr. 6'0” 215lb / #52 Rob Stineman Sr. 6'2" 242lb / Jackson Kattus Fr.
RT #79 Brody Koch Sr. 6’2” 255lb / #66 Robert Fogler 6'7" 300lb So.
PK #21 Mason Rohmiller Sr. 6’1” 155lb

Bomber Defense
LE #95 J.J. Dollenmeyer Jr. 6'4" 235lb
NG #97 Braylon Adams Jr. 6'0" 268lb
RE #91 Sam Buerkle Sr. 6'4” 250lb
OLB (Will) #11 Marque Cummings Sr. 6'1" 210lb / Dijon Harris Jr. 6'1" 221lb
ILB (Sam) #43 Grant Lyons Sr. 6’3” 225lb / Pete Rose III Jr
OLB (Jet) #48 Sean Reilly Sr. 6’1” 202lb
FS #29 Brennan Bareswilt Sr. 6’1” 180lb
Adj #24 Max Bonner Jr. 6’1" 205lb / Alex Devine Jr. 5'11" 190lb
SS #4 Eli Kirk Sr. 6'0” 185lb / Gus Folke So. 6'0" 180lb
CB #14 Alex Kemper Sr. 5'11" 177lb / #17 Amare Leslie Sr. 5’10” 155lb
CB #19 Josh Anderson Sr. 6'0” 188lb / #34 Robert Houston Jr. 5’10” 165lb
P #18 Max Klare Sr. 6’4” 220lb

Last edited:
I hear a lot of mixing and tweaking happening on both sides of the ball. Another to watch is SS/Adj Gus Folke 6' 180lb So.

Should be a fun season!

Everyone knows there are 6 very difficult holes that need to be filled, there have been 2 7 vs 7 games where is reload with updates on who is stepping up???

7 x 7 will not tell you much about your offense or Defense because the RB position is basically not a part of the equation at all. Defensively the same thing is in place, you know the team is going to throw the ball every down so it doesn't mimic a game situation. It does help the coaches get a little timing down in the passing game and pass defense game; however nobody we play will be a pass first offense unless something has changed drastically year over year. Can someon post the 7 x 7 schedule or scrimmage schedule. Thanks

July 28 10am Milford 7v7
Aug 6 7pm Mason Scrimmage
Aug 12 2pm Massillon Scrimmage

Go Bombers!
Today's Matchup in the MVFCA Social Justice event at 4pm in Dayton's Welcome Stadium
7v7 vs Troy and Springfield

I believe that Milford, Mason and Massillon are at St X.

Today's Matchup in the MVFCA Social Justice event at 4pm in Dayton's Welcome Stadium

I love that the AD and coaching staff are always seeking challenge, even in the 7v7's and scrimmages. Will be interesting to see how much Springfield has progressed, and how each team's secondaries match up to the outside skill players.

The Springfield vs X 7v7 was entertaining.
Te'Sean Smoot to Anthony Brown was unstoppable.
Smoot, 6'0" and 170lb, has a dozen D1 offers (Kentucky and all the MAC schools) but he's hoping for Power 5.
Brown, just 5'10" 160lb, has offers from Michigan and Penn State but is holding out for an offer from the Buckeyes.
In last years state semifinal Bomber win, Brown had 5 catches for 131 yards and the Wildcats lone TD.
Smoot ran for 150 yards and threw for 200.
If this season goes according to plan, these 2 teams have a semi rematch and this time fans will be in the stands

The Bomber passing attack in both 7v7 was impressive.
McCaughey was pretty much spot on connecting with 5 receivers.
McFarlin and Klare were targeted half of the time.
Klare, headed to Duke, is a lot like Marshall Lang (2019 grad at Northwestern)
Both are big basketball players (6'4" 220lb) who are mobile, have good speed, great hands that can go up and get the ball.
McFarlin managed 45 catches and 534 yards (5th in the GCL) last season while in the shadows of Liam and Jalen.
McFarlin is primed for a breakout season and at 6'0" 180lb with decent speed and great moves should earn a D1 schollie.
The RBs Kellom and Vrsansky had several grabs as did TE/WR Wassler who like Klare can run a deep route and go up after it.
McGaughey will likely be throwing @30 times a game, targeting Klare and McFarlin 8-10 times each and Kellom, Vrsansky and Wassler 4 times a piece.
Kellom will probably get around 20 rushes a game with Vrsansky and Eary combining for an additional 10 carries.
Looking forward to the Mason scrimmage in a couple weeks at Ballaban field.

Last edited: