St.V-St.M 2022

Hoban is absolutely loaded and resembles a big time D1 program. The Irish off season participation is full of effort but the reality is STVM is closer to a D4 program than D2 (Hoban). When the Irish powers to be let a talent like Corigall go to Hoban when his brother was a All Ohio talent for the Irish. You begin to see the problem. The talent level between the two programs is light years apart. This does not fall on former coach Nichols. He was a one man recruiting show with minimal financial support. While Hoban is offering and Walsh are offering $100 per month tuition rates it doesn’t take a Einstein to see the trends. You also have Hoban and Walsh putting up huge funds into their collegiate level strength and training programs to widden the gap. These issues have been around since the 2014-15 seasons. Hoban retooled and the STVM powers to be were oblivious. Coach Wattley did a great job but also ran into the same issues Coach Nichols faced. So the Alumni and fans need a reality check. The days of Frank Stams Parris Campbell Dante Booker are long gone. Coach Cistone is working his tail off to rebuild this program but it is going to require a TEAM effort including the Support of the Board, President, Principal, Admissions ’AD office and funds. Hoban has built a dynasty with a 6 team Pee Wee Travel program. The powers to be are funneling the talent from Akron Pee Wee into the Hoban program. Walsh has reached out to a 5 county area to cultivate their talent pool. The days of players just showing up at the Maple Street doorstep because of Irish legacy are gone. This program needs a team effort from all persons mentioned above including the assistant coaches to rebuild this once great program back to the expectation level.!

Hoban is absolutely loaded and resembles a big time D1 program. The Irish off season participation is full of effort but the reality is STVM is closer to a D4 program than D2 (Hoban). When the Irish powers to be let a talent like Corigall go to Hoban when his brother was a All Ohio talent for the Irish. You begin to see the problem. The talent level between the two programs is light years apart. This does not fall on former coach Nichols. He was a one man recruiting show with minimal financial support. While Hoban is offering and Walsh are offering $100 per month tuition rates it doesn’t take a Einstein to see the trends. You also have Hoban and Walsh putting up huge funds into their collegiate level strength and training programs to widden the gap. These issues have been around since the 2014-15 seasons. Hoban retooled and the STVM powers to be were oblivious. Coach Wattley did a great job but also ran into the same issues Coach Nichols faced. So the Alumni and fans need a reality check. The days of Frank Stams Parris Campbell Dante Booker are long gone. Coach Cistone is working his tail off to rebuild this program but it is going to require a TEAM effort including the Support of the Board, President, Principal, Admissions ’AD office and funds. Hoban has built a dynasty with a 6 team Pee Wee Travel program. The powers to be are funneling the talent from Akron Pee Wee into the Hoban program. Walsh has reached out to a 5 county area to cultivate their talent pool. The days of players just showing up at the Maple Street doorstep because of Irish legacy are gone. This program needs a team effort from all persons mentioned above including the assistant coaches to rebuild this once great program back to the expectation level.!
These are some of the reasons I don't go to games anymore.

What about Bob?
Boy does that name, bring back memories. Any of you oldtimers remember a guy by that name, that was THE sportscaster for WAKR. He’d be calling a HS basketball game, and just start continuously shouting “How about that !” Didn’t know if somebody stole the ball and ran out of the gym, the bleachers collapsed, or what was going on. He was the voice of Akron, like Jim Muzzy was to Canton.

Last edited:
Boy does that name, bring back memories. Any of you oldtimers remember a guy by that name, that was THE sportscaster for WAKR. He’d be calling a HS basketball game, and just start to continuously shouting “How about that !” Didn’t know if somebody stole the ball and ran out of the gym, the bleachers collapsed, or what was going on. He was the voice of Akron, like Jim Muzzy was to Canton.

I remember his “coffin corner” calls

Good morning everyone I would like to go back in time in 2018 when stvm was looking for a head football coach after wattley's departure. being a former player then I don't know if anyone else knows this but I actually knew each candidate they were interviewing. it was between three coaches Nickol, Martin Poder (out of stow) and Nick hart. At first it wasn't going to be nickol it was going to be a guy by the name of Nick Hart (Gibson southern head coach) who was a great candidate very young, 104-20 over a 10 year span with the same team whom he brought relevancy to the program again, won ten conference championships, and recently won the schools first state championship title in 2021. for your information also his worst season was 7-4 never had a down year. now why he didn't get the Job I was told by one of the people doing the interviews that "he didn't have a valid reason to really be here". would anyone would have preferred this over Coach Nickol?

Last edited:
Good morning everyone I would like to go back in time in 2018 when stvm was looking for a head football coach after wattley's departure. being a former player then I don't know if anyone else knows this but I actually knew each candidate they were interviewing. it was between three coaches Nickol, Martin Poder (out of stow) and Nick hart. At first it wasn't going to be nickol it was going to be a guy by the name of Nick Hart (Gibson southern head coach) who was a great candidate very young, 104-20 over a 10 year span with the same team whom he brought relevancy to the program again, won ten conference championships, and recently won the schools first state championship title in 2021. for your information also his worst season was 7-4 never had a down year. now why he didn't get the Job I was told by one of the people doing the interviews that "he didn't have a valid reason to really be here". would anyone would have preferred this over Coach Nickol?
Hiring committee's make mistakes all the time. When Walsh Jesuit passed on Dan Larlham in favor of Scott Beigie it sent the program into a tailspin. Meanwhile Dan turned CVCA around and put very competitive football teams out every year once he built a good foundation. Hiring a coach is 50/50. Especially younger unknown ones.

Nichol was 22-13. Not great, not awful. The last 5 or 6 years, given Hoban's ability to attract a large portion of the top talent, it would have been tough for any coach at SVSM.

Nichol was 22-13. Not great, not awful. The last 5 or 6 years, given Hoban's ability to attract a large portion of the top talent, it would have been tough for any coach at SVSM.
but the thing is hart has had teams who had limited ability than the teams that nickol coached, in the last 10 years as head coach he has won conference championships since he was hired and has beaten his rival 7 out of the 10 years I think he would of been a good fit for the program and he ran the same defensive system as wattley.

St. V. has more than enough talent to compete at D3. 4 players on o-line from last year's team will ultimately play college ball. Coach Cistone will get back to physical football.

I agree King. Even though VASJ is D4, and Springfield D3 - the Vikings are a better team and offer the hope of many more 2nd level points as opposed to the Spartans.

***NOT OFFICIAL***
week 1 Glenville
week 2 Springfield Wildcats
week 3 Barberton
week 4 Buchtel
week 5 Sandusky
week 6 Warren g Harding
week 7 Ursuline
week 8 Hoban
week 9 Cleveland heights
week 10 Walsh

Hiring committee's make mistakes all the time. When Walsh Jesuit passed on Dan Larlham in favor of Scott Beigie it sent the program into a tailspin. Meanwhile Dan turned CVCA around and put very competitive football teams out every year once he built a good foundation. Hiring a coach is 50/50. Especially younger unknown ones.
Walsh didn't make a good hire when they passed on Larlham. However, things worked out just fine for the Warriors.
If they hired Larlham they likely wouldn't have gotten Nick Alexander in 2019.
Alexander has won more playoff games than Larlham (4-3) in half the years.

Wow, that schedule leaves you scratching your head in projecting wins and losses. It could be as ugly as 3-7 or could be as good as 7-3.

Walsh didn't make a good hire when they passed on Larlham. However, things worked out just fine for the Warriors.
If they hired Larlham they likely wouldn't have gotten Nick Alexander in 2019.
Alexander has won more playoff games than Larlham (4-3) in half the years.
What Coach Alexander has done at Walsh is great but it's much more difficult across Wyoga Lake Rd. In regards to football. I could go into the many reasons why but I believe the majority of Summit county high school football fans would agree that building a winning football program at CVCA is a bit more difficult than a traditional power like Walsh Jesuit.