St. Thomas Aquinas Disaster?

Does anyone actually know what’s going on here? Instead of this conjuncture
St Thomas goes in cycles. They hire somebody from Canton and then a hand full of players goes to St. Thomas then that person leaves and the players stop going to St. Thomas and the ones there transfer out. Been there done this about 3 maybe 4 different times in the past 20 or so years.

I am hearing they are losing a ton of players. Kids going back to McKinley and other schools. They may not have enough for a football team next year this kid who is on the team told me yesterday. Anyone hear this? Sounds crazy. Weren't they kinda deep in the playoffs?
I had a direct source. There were doubters but now it is all proving to be true. If they have a team it will be incredibly borderline with the necessary number of players. It will be one of the worst teams in the state.

I hate the transfer game. It kills McKinley but I've waved the white flag of surrender on this topic. I've learned not to lose sleep over things I can't control in something as simple as sports. Same with the playoffs and the amount of schools that qualify per region. IMO the best playoff games was when 4 teams per region qualified. IMO transferres in or out and the playoff system as it is set now ruined high school football for myself personally.
Just remember? Usually when a kid transfers, it's for a specific reason. The OHSAA is doing what it can to prevent transferring. If the parent(s) feel a transfer is the best for the kid(even for football) then they have the rights to do so. You can't keep a kid "locked up" to a specific rule. Especially in high school.

STA has bigger fish to fry than just their football program. According to the Diocese of Youngstown website, they have about a half dozen teaching positions available in addition to several coaching positions and the principal position. I would be surprised to see them have a formidable team come fall, but crazier things have happened.

I hope they can right the ship over there, but it would appear to me they have some other issues to correct before addressing their athletic programs.

Starbuck, I didn't realize it was that bad for STA trying to fill teaching positions. I wonder if they will cut class offerings if they can't find teachers. It's not like it was when I was in school. You just can't have a nun or a priest teach a class.
Hopefully they will get some teachers who have discipline. It sounds like discipline has been lacking.

STA has bigger fish to fry than just their football program. According to the Diocese of Youngstown website, they have about a half dozen teaching positions available in addition to several coaching positions and the principal position. I would be surprised to see them have a formidable team come fall, but crazier things have happened.

I hope they can right the ship over there, but it would appear to me they have some other issues to correct before addressing their athletic programs.
Unfortunately, private schools have staff overturn all the time. Gone are the days where you have priests and nuns, or even older teachers that have been there for 40 years, teaching at these schools. Most are young teachers who stay for a couple of years before they jump ship for higher pay at a public school.

Or is this all just a " smoke screen " as they are entering a new league??
Not at all. There coach left a week ago, they had 21 boys signed up for football before he left, those are facts.
Screenshot_20210525-154517_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, private schools have staff overturn all the time. Gone are the days where you have priests and nuns, or even older teachers that have been there for 40 years, teaching at these schools. Most are young teachers who stay for a couple of years before they jump ship for higher pay at a public school.
You're absolutely correct that there is a lot of turnover, but traditionally not in the high schools here in Stark County. St. Thomas is now on their third principal in the past six years or so, their third football coach in as many years, second or third AD as well, and coupled with the staffing turnover it doesn't look good for them. I truly hope they right the ship there, but as many others have posted, there are legitimate concerns with this program moving forward.

Regardless of the status of the football program, there appears to be instability in the school system itself and I hope they fix that so that Catholic education continues to thrive here in Stark Co.

You're absolutely correct that there is a lot of turnover, but traditionally not in the high schools here in Stark County. St. Thomas is now on their third principal in the past six years or so, their third football coach in as many years, second or third AD as well, and coupled with the staffing turnover it doesn't look good for them. I truly hope they right the ship there, but as many others have posted, there are legitimate concerns with this program moving forward.

Regardless of the status of the football program, there appears to be instability in the school system itself and I hope they fix that so that Catholic education continues to thrive here in Stark Co.
Same with JFK, very little turnover. Usually when there are that many people jumping ship, consistently, over a period of time, there is something underlying going on. I have no idea what it is but I too would like to see them get straightened out.