St. Ignatius hockey 2020-2021

clevelandcane

The Cats beat Erie Cathedral Prep this afternoon at OBM, 8-3.

They rolled about 25 kids out there today including 3 frosh. Seem strong all the way around. Of course Chuckie Wilson and Erik Galauner will lead them but they have lots of depth.

Here's to a safe season.

Last edited:

And now the prep team roster is up.

ignatiuswildcats.com/hockey

A couple of frosh, lots of sophs, and a nice balance of juniors and seniors.

Last edited:
And now the prep team roster is up.

ignatiuswildcats.com/hockey

A couple of frosh, lots of sophs, and a nice balance of juniors and seniors.
Please explain to me what Ignatius does with its hockey program. Does it have a prep roster that plays a junior hockey like schedule? Does it then have a high school roster that plays high school teams? Does the prep roster then play in the state playoff and can you explain why they did this? I am genuinely curious as I have a nephew that is in ninth grade and plays in a club program and my son has a friend that plays for a high school club program also. I live in SWO.

Thanks

SI currently has 5 teams. Prep, Blue, Gold, U16 AA, and U15 AAA.

The prep team is equivalent to a varsity team. They are not a true prep team. All the kids attend SI and are local. They just happen to get a lot of good players and that makes some folks mad. There is no reason they can't play in the OHSAA playoffs so they do.

The Blue team is made up of older players (usually Sr and Jr) who didn't make the prep team. The Gold is the same - maybe a few younger kids but not quite the blue team.

The U16 AA team is just that - mostly sophomores and many will join the prep team next year.

The U15 AAA team is made up of frosh (with a couple of young sophs mixed in). They come from the Barons, Jr Jacks, lots of Team OH kids this year. They play a AAA schedule but against mostly (my words here) lower level AAA teams. They're not playing Honeybaked or Little Caesars... played the CBJ AAA team last year but didn't fare well.

Bottom line... lots of recent success, big school, lots of players in the program (about 100 kids this year) and they try not to cut anyone.

You can see the schedule and roster for the prep team at ignatiuswildcats.com.

The other teams' rosters and schedules can be found at clewildcats.com. They are technically not a "St. Ignatius" team but all kids attend St. Ignatius.

Thanks for that explanation. I really never fully understood what was going on in the Ignatius program. I remember a few years back when the only Ohio team they played before the playoffs was St. Edward. The team was traveling all over Michigan and Canada. I think that the team should play before threir parents and classmates. Last year they seemed to adopt that position. I think with the Covid issue traveling beyond Ohio will be prohibited. (This is all based on the assumption that there will be a season this year.)

They played mediocre today and had to tie the game with about 5 seconds left vs. Olentangy Liberty, 4-4.

They're still working out the lines and who is going to play.

Goalies are mediocre. The D gave up some odd man rushes leading to goals. Same old forecheck looked okay.

This is a young team that will develop throughout the year. Getz and Zahoranski are impressive and of course Galauner, Wilson and Conway will have to lead the team as they improve.

Thanks for that explanation. I really never fully understood what was going on in the Ignatius program. I remember a few years back when the only Ohio team they played before the playoffs was St. Edward. The team was traveling all over Michigan and Canada. I think that the team should play before threir parents and classmates. Last year they seemed to adopt that position. I think with the Covid issue traveling beyond Ohio will be prohibited. (This is all based on the assumption that there will be a season this year.)
The kids who left were special. Best class in SI hockey history without a doubt. I think ORourke scheduled to give them competition because local OH teams couldn't do it. This year, while very good, they're nowhere near as good as the last few years.

Scrimmage.

They lost to US today in another scrimmage, 3-1. I think they are getting the lines in order but it appears their youth is going to hurt them this year.

My wife's family is from Rocky River (shout out to the Pirates). She has a friend that is a high school ref and he helped fund raise for the upgraded Rocky River facility (locker room, etc..). he is really connected to the local hockey scene. He said that anybody who is anybody in the greater Cleveland area who is a hockey player tries to get into to Iggy's to play hockey. This was not always the case. Ed's was pretty popular too until just recently. With the Prep team's travel into Michigan, Illinois and Wisconsin, I just thought they were trying to provide a more junior hockey experience without the boys having to leave home. I am fascinated by the different levels of Hockey. When the southern Ohio teams play the Northern Ohio teams it is like boys versus men. When the northern Ohio teams play in Canada, it is the same way except that the Canadian teams kick the heck out of the Ohio teams. I thought Iggy's was trying to rectify some of that.

Gonna be a rebuilding year for the Cats unfortunately. Lost 3-1 and 8-5 to St. Ignatius in Chicago.

First game had McLaughlin in net. He played really well but no O. Today saw Mohr in net. Lots of O... but that was it.

This team is half frosh and sophs. O'rourke still playing with the lines but these kids are just too young and they aren't as good as the sophs that just graduated when they first started on varsity.

Plenty to look forward to... just have to be patient.

Good game for the young Cats yesterday as they tied Gilmour, 2-2. The Cats had a slow start but really played well in the 2nd half of the game and OT. I think McLaughlin is G1 based on the few games I've seen.

Nice win for the Cats today beating Gilmour, 2-1. Solid netminding by Mohr today. Galauner and Larcy with the goals.

Cats seem to be improving a little each game. Being so young, that is expected.

Nice win for the Cats today beating Gilmour, 2-1. Solid netminding by Mohr today. Galauner and Larcy with the goals.

Cats seem to be improving a little each game. Being so young, that is expected.
I'm excited to watch this team grow, as well. Some real gems with the youngsters. Glad they have excellent leaders like Conway and Galauner to provide examples of how it's done.

The Cats played and beat Gilmour again, 4-3. They were up 4-1 until Gilmour pulled the G. Gotta finish strong. Played well. McLaughlin in G. Goals by Galauner (2), Piazza, and Wilson.

Pittsburgh Predators up next - AA version.

Coach didn't play any of the frosh or sophs in either varsity game yesterday. I think they were playing in some U16 tournament. It appears the goal for this year is to move kids all around just so they can play competitive games - which I'm sure is a huge challenge for the schedulers/ad.

I didn't see any results for the U16 games. Anyone?

The young Cats are playing well this year. Eds has obviously been the class of the state, but the Cats can play with anyone else. The young kids are starting to score more. Kids like Rodgers, Zahoransky, and Zawadzki are starting to contribute more. The roster is still a work in progress as the bottom 3rd shifts from game to game. Another encouraging sign is the soph G, Jack Utrup, has two starts with the varsity and has played extremely well. He could be your starter down the stretch and/or for next year.

Good weekend for the Cats. Beat SJJ, 7-0. Were up on SFS, 3-1, until last couple of minutes. Ended in a tie. Interesting that Coach started the soph Utrup in net in the biggest game of the weekend. I would think he'd start in the important playoff games. Not much energy today, but still beat Northview, 3-2 giving up a last second goal in this game as well.

Go Cats!!!

Man, what happened to the hockey program this year? Obviously we lost a great class and the team is young, but surprised at the results.

You said it. They played a bad game but were outplayed by RR. They are young, very young. I've never seen them play 3or 4 freshman in a year along with 7 sophomores.

They beat RR 2x this year but RR came to play and we didn't yesterday.

My opinion is Utrup should have started in goal. I think the soph is already better than the two seniors.

Scoring was a huge struggle this year and I hope that changes next year. Kids like Rodgers, Getz, Savarino, Baker, and Bartone all need to double their output next year in terms of scoring.

The D is solid. Zahoransky can give you a solid puck mover and some O. Basile and Bratton are solid. Tabol and Nadzam will offer depth.

I see a better team next year assuming regular growth but Conway, Galauner, and Wilson will be missed.

Go Cats!

I was surprised by the results Saturday too. Only saw part of the game but RR seemed to outplay St. Ignatius. I was worried that St. Ignatius was peaking at the right time of the season with their recent results but Saturday was definitely a shock. Of course other teams lost too that were surprising with Gilmour and US losing too.

Big game on Saturday at 1;00 pm vs. St. Edward for what I believe is the Regional title (could be wrong abut that). Cats are 2-0 vs. Ed's this season but I think each victory was by a single goal.

At some point I think the OHSAA needs to explore seeding the entire playoff field. No reason these two teams should continually have to play each other for a trip to Columbus when they are consistently among the top four teams in the state.