St. Ignatius basketball 2022 - 2023

I was shocked as to the Lincoln West score last weekend. Anybody there have a breakdown of what happened? As a Mentor fan who will see them play both teams this season, I’m curious about both.

I was shocked as to the Lincoln West score last weekend. Anybody there have a breakdown of what happened? As a Mentor fan who will see them play both teams this season, I’m curious about both.
Lutheran West is legit. I wasn't surprised that they beat Ignatius but didn't think it would be by 20.

I've been following LW since the summer and expected them to be a big time player for the D2 state title.

They went undefeated at the Locked In Summer League (beat Garfield Heights, Glenville twice and Massillon Jackson there). They knocked off Lima Senior and Gahanna Lincoln at the Midwest Live event in Sandusky. In the regular season so far, they have wins over Maple Heights, Ignatius and Ottawa-Glandorf.

I'd put them right there with Buchtel as the top D2 in NEO... and right now, I'd have LW a little above Buchtel.

That's a long way of saying that losing to Lutheran West isn't necessarily a blemish. Now, losing by 20 (when Ignatius is a team with D1 state tournament aspirations) isn't great, but I think it's more a testament to how good LW is.

Lutheran West is legit. I wasn't surprised that they beat Ignatius but didn't think it would be by 20.

I've been following LW since the summer and expected them to be a big time player for the D2 state title.

They went undefeated at the Locked In Summer League (beat Garfield Heights, Glenville twice and Massillon Jackson there). They knocked off Lima Senior and Gahanna Lincoln at the Midwest Live event in Sandusky. In the regular season so far, they have wins over Maple Heights, Ignatius and Ottawa-Glandorf.

I'd put them right there with Buchtel as the top D2 in NEO... and right now, I'd have LW a little above Buchtel.

That's a long way of saying that losing to Lutheran West isn't necessarily a blemish. Now, losing by 20 (when Ignatius is a team with D1 state tournament aspirations) isn't great, but I think it's more a testament to how good LW is.
Did Lutheran West really just lose to Holy Name? What is going on?

Did Lutheran West really just lose to Holy Name? What is going on?
Holy Name is also really good. They were flying under the radar because the schedule hasn't been great so far, but they notched some pretty impressive wins over the summer (and did beat a very good Tiffin Columbian team in a game-rules scrimmage a couple weeks ago).

Holy Name held them to like 0-14 from 3 and 34 percent from the field and forced LW into tough shots most of the night. HN shot 10 for 23 from 3 and broke the LW press for a bunch of easy baskets in the 2nd half.

The game results in NE Ohio so far may be a combination of some degree of parity in talent amongst the top 25 in the Cleveland.com rankings and inconsistency of performance during this early part of the season as teams evolve.

In Ignatius’ case, coach Joyce is playing a minimum of 12 kids each game, each getting about equal or very similar playing time, plus 5 more kids getting time on the court depending on the point spread in the 4th quarter. For those 12, that would translate to around 1-1/2 quarters per game. Plus, the mix and combination of players on the court seem to be different within a game as well as game-to-game. So, continuity isn’t there and there are unforced turnovers, missed assignments and a lot of fouls.

In the game vs. Walsh, the Warriors had a 12-0 run at the beginning of the game and again a 12-0 run at the start of the 4th quarter. In the Lutheran West game, the Longhorns started with an 21-8 lead in the 1st quarter and, I recall, getting the first 13 points of the 4th quarter. So, there have been stretches that are mind boggling. That being said, both Walsh and Lutheran West are very good teams

Who would Mentor see? It could the Ignatius team of last season’s regionals -or- it could be the Ignatius team that the Cards blew out by 25 in 2021. Who knows? 🤷‍♂️

Ignatius beats a very good Columbus Africentric (and Mr. Basketball candidate, Dailyn Swain) 68-60
Buckner with 18 pts

I caught a good portion of the STVM game on your live feed. What a heckuva job by the Ignatius staff! Great broadcast. Of course, it helped that it was a great game, too! Congratulations to the Wildcats on the win.

Last edited:
I don't watch a ton of Ignatius basketball, and the two times I have they have been waxed.

I'll take the heat for this- I don't see a well coached team for Ignatius.

I did with Eds.

Tom Lombardo was the analyst on the St. Ed’s livetream and here are quotes of his initial comments at halftime.

“Ignatius is not making shots, they are not defending, they’re not rebounding, they’re not coming up with loose balls and we’re doing all those things and that’s why we have a 25 point lead”

“Let’s face it. St. Ignatius isn’t that bad. They’re just not ready to play. You cannot say it any other way.”

“I would be mad at myself for more how I had them prepared. I don’t know what they expected. It was from the get-go. Loose balls, finishing around the hoop. Nothing was happening. Right off the cuff”

No sugar coating, Lombardo was absolutely right in calling that way.
Unfortunately, this is not the first time it has happened this way during the last several seasons.

I feel like I could say this elsewhere too.....how are you not prepared to give it your best against your rival?

Ok — can we all finally agree that Cam Joyce is not a very good game day coach ? That he is inexperienced and perhaps over his head ? He is a great recruiter It seems. Garnering transfers and assembling a very talented roster — likely the deepest roster in the state. Lombardo said what Igantius people will not admit . His team was not prepared. Period. His team - ranked #3 in Ohio in pre-season, was blown out by LW, Walsh and Eds. And they won a very tight game at home against a down SVSM (they list to Walsh by 7 or 8). In his tenure, have they ever beat a “better” team with approach and team work and game plan ? The answer is NO. His offense is atrocious — all one n one - little ball movement— lending itself to very selfish play by his team. Turnovers at the rate SIHS produces them at this stage of the season, with that talent is COACHING. Shot selection ? Awful. You play with no sense of urgency and with no energy against your biggest rival ? He has 5 or 6 coaches on the bench and what adjustments are made ? None that I saw. Do players ever sit to give another a chance ? No. They are so talented they will blow out weaker teams and look good doing it. But the lack of any sort of team work, chemistry and approach will continue to haunt them. Against a good quality team with a good coach — they will always struggle.

Looks like they responded well to that ugly loss with a dominating win over a good Mentor team. Clearly the Cats are as talented as any team in the area. Why they haven't been able to play to their full capability consistently is the issue that needs to get resolved. Plently of time left to do that and make a run in March.

Well, Ed's made us miserable and we did the same to Mentor.

Seems to me that, when you play St. Ed's (especially at their place) they are going to be up in your face...tough, tough, tough. I didn't see the game, but that's how St. Ed's always plays. It's been mentioned, and basketball is an awful lot about flow and athleticism, but in games like that, you need a structured offense now and then to help you along...and we don't seem to know how to do that at the moment...didn't last year either.

Team seems to lack consistency. Run out of gym by Eds, beat mentor, beat Huntington, lose to Lutheran East

Team seems to lack consistency. Run out of gym by Eds, beat mentor, beat Huntington, lose to Lutheran East
Ok — can we all finally agree that Cam Joyce is not a very good game day coach ? That he is inexperienced and perhaps over his head ? He is a great recruiter It seems. Garnering transfers and assembling a very talented roster — likely the deepest roster in the state. Lombardo said what Igantius people will not admit . His team was not prepared. Period. His team - ranked #3 in Ohio in pre-season, was blown out by LW, Walsh and Eds. And they won a very tight game at home against a down SVSM (they list to Walsh by 7 or 8). In his tenure, have they ever beat a “better” team with approach and team work and game plan ? The answer is NO. His offense is atrocious — all one n one - little ball movement— lending itself to very selfish play by his team. Turnovers at the rate SIHS produces them at this stage of the season, with that talent is COACHING. Shot selection ? Awful. You play with no sense of urgency and with no energy against your biggest rival ? He has 5 or 6 coaches on the bench and what adjustments are made ? None that I saw. Do players ever sit to give another a chance ? No. They are so talented they will blow out weaker teams and look good doing it. But the lack of any sort of team work, chemistry and approach will continue to haunt them. Against a good quality team with a good coach — they will always struggle.

C98 - agree. Lutheran East is a good team and McCullouch showed why he's a recruit of Michigan St, Indiana, Alabama, tOSU.
However, the struggles to get an inbound pass when pressed and not having a set of plays to go to when the clock is running down continue to haunt this team.

C98 - agree. Lutheran East is a good team and McCullouch showed why he's a recruit of Michigan St, Indiana, Alabama, tOSU.
However, the struggles to get an inbound pass when pressed and not having a set of plays to go to when the clock is running down continue to haunt this team.
Agree.. end game mgmt a problem.. wasted last time out in a tie game with 33 seconds left.. had no options after that.. And again with turnover after turnover.. and no offensive structure other than let buckner handle the ball.. friery needs more shots

I think the range of outcomes for this group in playoffs is immense. Will be interested to see what they show in Eds rematch

Highlights from Saturday's game between Buchtel and Ignatius. I was at the game last night and Iggy did a great job to rally despite being down by double digits.

Looks like Ignatius will be hosting some special guests at tonight's Eagles vs Wildcats game
Go Cats!

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 3.42.35 PM.png