St. Francis 24, Whitmer 0

CatAlum

Over on the women's basketball board, there has been a week-long discussion of Gilmour's 108-1 victory last week.

A 24-0 score seems to be to be a bigger margin than 108-1 in basketball.

Any blowback from Whitmer? Is there any tradition in hockey for "calling off the dogs"? Is it even possible in hockey to go into some sort of stall? I suppose you could just order your players not to shoot? Is there a mercy rule (apparently not)?

Eye-popping score for hockey.

St. Francis appears to have taken a 1st round bye, and Whitmer played their way into this one. In the Toledo district it actually appears there were three teams seeded below Whitmer, with another team (Springfield) being co-seeded 9th (out of 14) with them.

Over on the women's basketball board, there has been a week-long discussion of Gilmour's 108-1 victory last week.

A 24-0 score seems to be to be a bigger margin than 108-1 in basketball.

Any blowback from Whitmer? Is there any tradition in hockey for "calling off the dogs"? Is it even possible in hockey to go into some sort of stall? I suppose you could just order your players not to shoot? Is there a mercy rule (apparently not)?

The four corners stall offense in basketball can be used in hockey as well. Why they put up 24 is a real question. They have four lines why not play only the last three lines and let the first to take time to rest? Why not use the back up goalie for a while?

Well, that score doesn't seem THAT out of line. I mean, were they still throwing deep late in the 4th quarter? Did they go for 2 on their last touchdown? Did they not take a knee on their last possession?

We are talking a football score, here, right?

Hard for me to see how those type of games and scores are going to prepare St. Francis for meeting a really good team, e.g., Bowling Green.

Butt's still hurting over in Cleveland I guess. What was St. Edward's score in the sectional final last year? Their website says 18-0. Typo?

Toledo area has sent quite a diversity of schools to the state, it's not like one or two teams here are sucking the talent from 3-4 million people. ;) You should admire the underdog, we do not really have the type of depth you have in such a densely populated area.

Looking at their roster, they are not exactly what you would call big players. They've had competitive games against other private schools and Bowling Green (even lost to them). I guess we won't know until one of our teams meets up with one of yours if our local teams are down or if SFS particularly up but right now, they're not exactly a lock to even get out of this corner of the state.

I'm not complaining (necessarily) about SF running up the score. I AM pointing out that there appears to be a different reaction in this sport to a huge blowout...basically no reaction.

Toledo area has sent quite a diversity of schools to the state, it's not like one or two teams here are sucking the talent from 3-4 million people. ;) You should admire the underdog, we do not really have the type of depth you have in such a densely populated area.

Over the last 10 years, NEO schools who have made the frozen four...Ignatius, Ed's, US, Shaker, Gilmour, Padua, Rocky River, Lake Catholic.

Has a school, other than Bowling Green that came from south of Interstate 90 ever won a state title? (admittedly, I don't know on what side of 90 St. Francis and St. John are)

Only one school has ever won a title from central/southern Ohio...Centreville back in the early 80's.

As to your question, two other schools were north but not north of the Ohio Turnpike...Findlay won a few in the 80's and Kent Roosevelt won one.

By the way...

I was told by a buddy who is a hockey parent that Ohio does have a hockey mercy rule that kicks in a running clock when you are up 6...at some point...and that the games that SF was involved in (24-0 and 17-0) would have ended after two periods.

Has a school, other than Bowling Green that came from south of Interstate 90 ever won a state title? (admittedly, I don't know on what side of 90 St. Francis and St. John are)

Centerville is the only school south of Findlay or Route 224 to win a title. St Francis and St Johns are both north of I 90. St Francis by a solid 8 to 10 miles and St Johns by about a mile and a half.

By the way...

I was told by a buddy who is a hockey parent that Ohio does have a hockey mercy rule that kicks in a running clock when you are up 6...at some point...and that the games that SF was involved in (24-0 and 17-0) would have ended after two periods.

They must have changed the rule it was 10 goals and began a running clock. Still 42 goals in 108 game play minutes is still quite impressive.

I would agree that St Francis and Iggy are the two strongest teams heading to Columbus and the winner would be a definite favorite. How large a favorite would be arguable though .

The " South" Central District has had uphill battles at this stage as the teams and programs in both the Catholic and Public schools in the north are stronger no doubt. More kids play hockey up there with the proximity to Michigan which is a much stronger hockey players producing state.

Coffman the only public left is the unquestionable underdog here. The transitive property shows that Coffman beat Bowling Green earlier in the season 3-2 and University school beat them last night 4-2 , so looking at this very small and not really relevant at this point of the season dynamic , it may suggest Coffman at least belongs on the same ice as these guys in the Semi-Final .

Coffman also played Iggy and lost 3-1 much earlier in the season , so not a horrible result but there is no question top to bottom the favorites are situated in the Northeast and West .

Coffman who I saw last night and some this season has a nice group of players and Senior leaders and is a tight group and certainly won't be intimidated on Thursday and I expect a good effort .

Should be a fun Thursday, Coffman - US face of at 4PM and the two favorites square off at 7 at Nationwide arena I would encourage any hockey fans in the area to check it out high school hockey in this state has gotten much better the last decade and these game could be very exciting and is at a great venue

No doubt that Columbus high school hockey is much improved in recent years and the south/central Ohio representative isn't a pushover anymore.

The Ignatius/Coffman game was a scrimmage so I don't know what to think of that score. Coffman clobbered Lake Catholic early in the year, but, based on scores, Lake was a very bad team early in the year...looks like they got better.

Yes that was early in the year and I missed the scrimmage notation full game likely wouldn't have been that close but as you mentioned teams ebb and flow throughout the year .

Coffman was not the best Central District team earlier on but over the last month despite never beating ST Charles and they didn't have to play them last night as UA took care of them last week , they were most thought the team playing the best and are peaking at the right time. They were the better team last night for sure , but will have to play better on Thursday than they did last night in order to beat UN and advance .