St. Edward @ Massillon

Status
Not open for further replies.
This. Gedeon in particular. He doesn’t have the prototype size that Kilbane brings to the table, but he is insanely relentless. The game against Massillon last year where he chased a running back down from behind about 50 yards downfield was one of the best effort plays I have ever seen.
Gedeon has a great motor and gives great effort, to be sure. But his natural gifts coupled with his weight room and training commitment have produced an explosive, fast athlete. We're talking a 4.52 40, an 11.0 100 @ 232 pounds. Think of the monsters on the Eds roster, yet Wyatt is their strongest player to go with that speed. Kilbane and he may be the greatest edge tandem in Ohio history. Certainly, from an Eds perspective, since Cousineau and Hornik in '74 they've not had two dudes like them in the same defense.

Gedeon has a great motor and gives great effort, to be sure. But his natural gifts coupled with his weight room and training commitment have produced an explosive, fast athlete. We're talking a 4.52 40, an 11.0 100 @ 232 pounds. Think of the monsters on the Eds roster, yet Wyatt is their strongest player to go with that speed. Kilbane and he may be the greatest edge tandem in Ohio history. Certainly, from an Eds perspective, since Cousineau and Hornik in '74 they've not had two dudes like them in the same defense.
No doubt Gedeon has elite physical tools, just noting that he doesn’t have the length Kilbane has and will not be a defensive end at the next level. I’d have to do a deep dive to see where Gedeon and Kilbane would stack up in the pantheon of Ohio football, but the argument for the best defensive bookends in St. Edward history is quite strong. However, I don’t think you have to go back to ‘74 to find a duo that can compare to them. Deontae Gibson (Northwestern and NFL) and Darryl Render (Pitt) in 2010 were a pretty nasty duo.

No doubt Gedeon has elite physical tools, just noting that he doesn’t have the length Kilbane has and will not be a defensive end at the next level. I’d have to do a deep dive to see where Gedeon and Kilbane would stack up in the pantheon of Ohio football, but the argument for the best defensive bookends in St. Edward history is quite strong. However, I don’t think you have to go back to ‘74 to find a duo that can compare to them. Deontae Gibson (Northwestern and NFL) and Darryl Render (Pitt) in 2010 were a pretty nasty duo.
I've known all the guys mentioned in this discussion, except Hornik and Pittman. But saw them all play a lot. Greg McMullen and LaTroy Lewis at Hoban were another of the freak show bookends we've seen in Ohio high school football. I'm convinced in terms of actual production on the football field, that both Kilbane and Gedeon are better players than everyone else mentioned, as good as they all were. Gedeon's lack of height and length will likely necessitate a move to the second level either next year or three years after that. In my opinion, his comp is Tedy Bruschi, who played on the line at Arizona despite also being only 6'1". What Gedeon lacks in length he more than makes up for with speed and tenacity. He's already faster than the vast majority of NFL linebackers. It will be interesting to see the counter punch the Tigers employ to try to neutralize these guys tonight. They had 7 sacks between them against Elder last week. (I think Deontae Gibson had that many by himself against Elder once). It should be both a great game and chess match.

Um Gibson and render on the state title team went to Pitt and northwestern.

Some of my favorite de pairs: Allman & Crable, James & Dickerhoof, and going back several years Mummertz & Hodgson. All were 6'5" range.

Anyhow, looking forward to seeing this St. Ed pair, even though I will be cursing the plays they blow up. Hopefully not too many of those!

John Favret and Chris Hovan for Ignatius back in the 90s was the most fearsome edge duo I have seen.

You're not saying hs recruits are at all generous with their heights and 40 times are you? ;)

Bottom line is he is GOOD and everyone knows it. Should be fun.
Lol just like how Massillon has two kids that run 4.3s 😂

The kid is a great player I’m not saying he isn’t. He will likely dominate the game tonight

Hopefully we can nullify him like we did Billy Price all those years ago lol.
That will be a tough task. Price isn’t/wasn’t as good defensively as this dude. No disrespect at all. Also just my opinion. But you’re right we completely eliminated Price that night. Hopefully tonight we can keep that young man from having his way.

My pregame assessment. First off, what a great place to be in as a program. To be able to assess ourselves against the top programs in the state, have we arrived????
We all know of their defensive prowess. If we can throw the short crossing patterns we can be successful. Slaughter is going to have to run also. We won't be able to pound off tackle with out Slaughter being on. Hopefully coach Wood will help us there.
Defensively, we should be able to hold our own, but a "street fight" close game in the 4th favors those guys. If we can jump on them early and get a few breaks we could win. I think Ed's is 2 tds better than Massillon overall. I'm thinking 31-14.

Certainly been a disgusting start to the game. I counted 6 mistakes in a row. KO return for TD, penalty on ensuing return, fumble snap, fumble, offsides on d, facemask, 5 yard drive for td. 14-0.

Status
Not open for further replies.