1999:31-14 Massillon
2000:28-27 Massillon
2003:27-6 St Edward
2004:37-7 St Edward
2005:21-17 Massillon
2020:24-23 St Edward
2021:35-18 St Edward
2022:?

Unfortunately, the edchoice voucher/ scholarship, ha! Program, has solidified parochial dominance in Ohio.
Even when we play within the rules we are at a hugh disadvantage.
All that aside, Our Tigers will fight to the last tic. We might just get lucky.

Last edited:
The Tigers can’t afford to start out slow !
Moeller 13-0
Pick Cent 7-0
St Ed’s 14-0

Ed’s is huge on both lines and I know our plan is always to establish the run but we are going to have to start out somewhat balanced, if not use the short passing game a lot early on to keep them honest. This team is not GO, Mansfield or Warren obviously, so we are probably going to have to play close to a perfect game with no to’s and few penalties and even then will need a few breaks from Ed’s.
I believe this game will be close into the 4th qtr.

Who is Massillon's QB? Last year I believe a freshman qb played the second half against St. Ed's and was chucking it all over the field.

Cherry Creek has high level Division 1 talent on the defensive line. They were effective against Eds because of that.

If we can throw the ball around like we did last night, and have 0 turnovers, then we'll have a shot. I know the passing game won't come as easy next week though, or the running game for that matter. Also shouldn't have the jitters we did in week 1, so who knows anything could happen.

St Ed’s lines make them such a tough matchup. No idea where you find that many kids that big in high school. If Massillons D line can handle their own they have a chance. Like most people have already said… gonna need the ball to bounce their way a couple times. Skill wise Massillon is probably a little ahead of St Ed’s. Their lines though…that’s huge in high school.

If we can throw the ball around like we did last night, and have 0 turnovers, then we'll have a shot. I know the passing game won't come as easy next week though, or the running game for that matter. Also shouldn't have the jitters we did in week 1, so who knows anything could happen.
Also, and I think this is the most important aspect to Massillon being in this game throughout....Massillon has to avoid, AT ALL COST....the usual Big Game....early self inflicted error. I don't want them playing cautious, but if it means going somewhat conservative for a couple of drives to avoid that so be it. Avoid the early turnover, avoid the early personal foul, avoid the early miscommunication that allows a receiver to run free. Going down early against teams like this is very hard to recover from, for anybody.

Slaughter took another step last night. As the passing game continues to develop Hartson will have a chance to shine without having to face 8-9 in the box every play. He’s still been great against game plans focused on shutting him down.

Banks was great last night. Toles was excellent and I think Wiggins is ready to break out. This young Tiger team is progressing nicely. The coaches are doing a great job!

Slaughter took another step last night. As the passing game continues to develop Hartson will have a chance to shine without having to face 8-9 in the box every play. He’s still been great against game plans focused on shutting him down.

Banks was great last night. Toles was excellent and I think Wiggins is ready to break out. This young Tiger team is progressing nicely. The coaches are doing a great job!
Hypothetical 3rd and long....at this current point in the season....I'm looking for Toles.

I haven't seen Massillon play, but I think Massillon has the players to pull the upset based upon what they have coming back from last year. To win though, you guys are going to have to outscore them. If you're held under 21, you will lose something like 37-20. If you guys can put points on the board and control the game, I'll take you guys 38-34.

I haven't seen Massillon play, but I think Massillon has the players to pull the upset based upon what they have coming back from last year. To win though, you guys are going to have to outscore them. If you're held under 21, you will lose something like 37-20. If you guys can put points on the board and control the game, I'll take you guys 38-34.
IMO Massillon’s best chance for victory is if it’s a low scoring game. Scoring 30+ against Ed’s is going to be almost impossible.

IMO Massillon’s best chance for victory is if it’s a low scoring game. Scoring 30+ against Ed’s is going to be almost impossible.
I think it will be a low scoring game. St Edward has struggled with the passing game so far this year. That's due (in part) to a new quarterback who still needs to settle down and let the game come to him. He will be fine, but it will take time. Eds has played a challenging schedule to date with Toledo Central Catholic, Pittsburgh Central Catholic, Denver's Cherry Creek and Cincinnati Elder. All quality opponents with winning records.
St Edward, under Coach Tom Lombardo, takes the long view in these games, looking to week #11. He uses these challenging opponents (and Massillon is a very challenging opponent) to get his players ready for the close games that come in the playoffs. It's why under his leadership Eds has emerged as a top D1 power.

So we had 4 turnovers yesterday and still managed to pull out a win. I don't think we would have won against that quality opponent (Elder) if the game was at the PIT, but I'll take it as a learning opportunity for the St Edward kids.

So this will be another tough matchup with the storied Tigers in Massillon. St Ed fans love going to Massillon. We love the tradition and passionate fans. Hopefully the Eagles come away with a win, but I'm very aware of Massillon's talent.

Here's a recap of the Eds/Elder game. The video gives some insight into how Lombardo the the kids approach these games.

Eds has struggled to throw the ball consistently the past 2 weeks. Granted, both opponents have quality defenders.

Eds O line is massive but they have lapses where they aren't as dominant as they will be with more experience

Massillon should try and attack Eds with the pass. The real issue for the Tigers is Gideon and Kilbane. Two studs. Best DEs in the state.

I'll be so happy when those 2 finally graduate.

Ed’s always seems to scheme up a handful of plays to get some guys wide open even when they don’t necessarily have game breakers on the outside. If Ed’s is struggling to pass right now then Massillon definitely can’t afford any lapses in coverage that give up easy points.

Ed’s always seems to scheme up a handful of plays to get some guys wide open even when they don’t necessarily have game breakers on the outside. If Ed’s is struggling to pass right now then Massillon definitely can’t afford any lapses in coverage that give up easy points.
In '20 Massillon had them beat and they used that HB pass against our aggressive safetys. Seven points there that made a difference.

Eds has struggled to throw the ball consistently the past 2 weeks. Granted, both opponents have quality defenders.

Eds O line is massive but they have lapses where they aren't as dominant as they will be with more experience

Massillon should try and attack Eds with the pass. The real issue for the Tigers is Gideon and Kilbane. Two studs. Best DEs in the state.

I'll be so happy when those 2 finally graduate.
Agree that passing the ball is the way to beat this defense right now. Banks is going to be a problem for us. Aside from Hutton on the one corner spot, I don’t think we have anyone in the secondary over 5’10. I would put Banks in the slot and let him work the middle of the field. Massillon absolutely has the horses to win this game.

Status
Not open for further replies.