St. Edward Hockey 2021-2022

sehs

The Eagles are coming off a state runner up finish last year, tough loss to St. Francis in a weird year after being wildly successful throughout the season. They return a good group although graduated some firepower. Two key contributors are still playing football and hopefully will not be back until early December. They open today against Walsh Jesuit and then have a showcase out in Toledo next weekend. Should be a lot of fun and I am curious to see what this coaching staff does with a majority of their program being players they have brought in.

At a big picture level, this is the second year for their U16 team and the JV's had a good season last year. Developing players should equal to sustained success in the next few years. I think the varsity will have some more downs this year than last but should be competing at a high level come February.

Eagles open up GLHL play with a resounding 7-1 win over Walsh Jesuit! Took advantage of a lot of Walsh mistakes and poured it on.

St. Ed's went up to Jamestown, NY to partake in a showcase. Lost to North Allegheny 5-0 out of Pennsylvania, beat Glenbrook South from Chicago and lost 3-2 in OT in their final game against Franklin Regional from Pennsylvania. In the Sylvania Turkey Shootout Thanksgiving weekend, they beat BG 4-1, tied Findlay 2-2 and lost to St. Francis 4-2. Big weekend coming up with their first home game against Toledo St. John's and away against St. Ignatius.

The Eagles split this past weekend, defeating Toledo St. John's 5-2 at Winterhurst and then losing to Ignatius 3-1. The St. John's game they were down 1-0 before a flurry of goals in the 2nd and 3rd periods had them up 5-1 when St. John's got their second.

The St. Ignatius game was 1-1 going into the third period. The puck didn't bounce the Eagle's way when Ignatius scored the winning goal and then banged in a poor clearance within a minute. I actually thought Ed's was more physical and played better than the Wildcats but the quality of their shots on goal was lacking compared to Ignatius'. Ed's plays Gilmour this afternoon before playing in the Padua tourney this weekend.

A lot of good things from hockey over the past month and a half. I believe they placed 3rd in the Padua Holiday tournament, with wins over Shaker Heights, Olentangy Liberty and Sylvania Northview, they also lost to Upper Arlington I think 3-1. After the Christmas holidays, they then beat University School 4-1 and 3-2 and Shaker again this past Wednesday 5-0. They will travel to Meadville for the MLK long weekend today to play in that tournament.

Man I miss the Meadville Tournament! Used to look forward to our annual trip to the Firehouse Tap & Grille as well as a trip over to the Safari Bar at the Hailwood Golf course for barley pops and dinner.

Eagles win the Meadville tourney! Wins over Medina, Peters Township and ties against North Allegheny and Bethel Park before beating Meadville in the final. Big game this Friday against the Wildcats.

Tough 2-1 loss to the Wildcats. Gave up the go ahead goal with less than 2 minutes remaining.

Eagles skated well. Close game...Eagles enjoyed 27 shots on goal vs. the Cats who delivered 26. Eagles demonstrated significant improvement over the earlier 3-1 loss to Ignatius. They played with greater physicality and skated with more energy during this second contest. Continue to improve St. Edward in advance of tournament play.

Go Eagles!

I thought it was a great game! Honestly a tie I think is what both teams deserved but oh well. You are right, we are in a good position to probably compete with Ignatius and in all probability play them again in March's District Final. But a lot of hockey to be played between now and then. Eagles bounced back with a 3-0 win at Shaker Saturday.

Eagles win the Great Lakes Hockey League after going 2-0 on this weekend. Wins over Gilmour, 6-1 and Padua, 3-2. They are the top seed in the GLHL tournament in Strongsville this coming week.

Eagles repeat as GLHL Tournament champs. Wasn't easy with tightly contested games against Padua and Gilmour. The Bruins have played us very tight the past two matchups and look to stand in our way of a rematch with Ignatius in Brooklyn.

Seems all the worry was for nothing, Eagles exploded for 10 goals against Padua yesterday to advance to the District Final. 10-1 was the final. We are playing the Wildcats at 1pm on Saturday.

Seems all the worry was for nothing, Eagles exploded for 10 goals against Padua yesterday to advance to the District Final. 10-1 was the final. We are playing the Wildcats at 1pm on Saturday.
Seems like it. That was an offensive onslaught. Two guys with hat tricks. Multiple short-handed goals. Going to need a lot of shots on net next week against a great defensive Ignatius team.

Any thoughts on Saturday's district final? Eagles went 0-2 in regular season play and were held to a goal in each game.

First game this year Ed's was early in December right after the football state title. Second game was at the end of January I think. Both were close but the second game St. Ignatius scored with like a minute left to win 2-1. I'd say we are right there with a great shot. The team's are even and the arena will be packed.

First game this year Ed's was early in December right after the football state title. Second game was at the end of January I think. Both were close but the second game St. Ignatius scored with like a minute left to win 2-1. I'd say we are right there with a great shot. The team's are even and the arena will be packed.
Well said, Eagles with 2-1 victory to advance to the Frozen Four next weekend. They will join 12 Eagle wrestlers who qualified for the state tournament, all in Columbus.

Huge win for St. Ed's! Really seemed to get stronger as the game went on and kept up a fast and physical pace. Taking down the top team in the state is a big deal, even bigger when it is your rival. They will play Gilmour on Thursday in Columbus, another tough team but I guess they all should be tough the rest of the way.

What you gonna say but "see you next year". I'm gonna have to start a new thread for US Hockey because my boy eschewed the hallowed halls on 30th and opted for the comfy confines of Moreland Hills. Good luck to the Eagles. The Team O boys coming in as freshman are straight up goons who can really skate, Eds is gonna be loaded for awhile. Lot of good 07's and 08's coming to all these schools.

Tough loss, 2-0 to Gilmour. I think it is the reverse of what happened when we beat Ignatius. Hard to beat a team 3x, well Ignatius couldn't do it to us and we couldn't do it to Gilmour.

Tough loss, 2-0 to Gilmour. I think it is the reverse of what happened when we beat Ignatius. Hard to beat a team 3x, well Ignatius couldn't do it to us and we couldn't do it to Gilmour.
Not bad losing to state champs.

I agree, no shame in losing. I still feel St. Ed's outplayed Gilmour on Thursday but that's how it goes sometimes.

Are players with some sick flow this year?
Lets Go Sport GIF by NHL

Just realized St. Edward left the local hockey league. What up with that? And only playing the Golden Tornado once?