St. Edward Hockey 2020-2021

St. Edward defeated Upper Arlington 3-1 in December. In January’s overtime contest, the Eagles somehow lost despite outshooting the Bears 57-13. Anyway, those games are nothing more than history. The Green and Gold will have to play hard and smart on Saturday to earn a victory over a tough UA team and advance to the final.

I think it will be another close game. I believe it will be played at the same rink Upper Arlington won their District Final in. The Eagles are good but will need to work for it and as crazy as it sounds, I feel like we aren't a great scoring team. I think we will win a tight one.

They do seem to pepper the net a ton, consistently putting twice (or more) as many shots on goal than their opponents. But as you mentioned, the key is getting it IN the net. Still, have to like the odds if we win the SOG category.

Eagles advance to the championship with a 3-0 win over UA. Will take on St. Francis. Played twice early on this year, a 3-3 tie and 6-3 victory. Should be a good one.

Sunday’s 11:00am championship game will feature the state’s top two ranked teams in the final coaches’ poll, #1 Lakewood St. Edward (22-3-1) vs. #2 Toledo St. Francis (27-3-2). The two teams met twice in the regular season. In November, the outcome was a 3-3 tie. In December, St. Francis took a 3-2 lead about three minutes into the third period, but St. Edward came storming back to win 6-3.

For the Eagles, 19 of their 26 games (73%) were against top ten teams. They won 16 of those 19 games (84%), with a 3.1 average goal differential (4.7 scored, 1.6 given up).

For the Knights, 16 of their 32 games (50%) were against top ten teams. They won 12 of those 16 games (75%), with a 1.7 average goal differential (3.9 scored, 2.2 given up).

The statistical edge goes to St. Edward. St. Francis, however, played the Eagles even-up (5 goals apiece) through five periods in their two previous meetings, until things got away from the Knights in the third period of the second contest.

Those stats may be interesting, but they will have no bearing on the outcome of tomorrow’s championship game. I expect both teams to give it their all in a hotly-contested, close match. May the better team win!

Great season, love what Tim Sullivan has done in two years. A District runner up when we had not been to that round in 2 years and then a state final run with a great team. I think the future looks bright for St. Ed's hockey.

Gave up just 3 goals in playoffs, just 1 at even strength, and didn't come away with the championship. Tough break, but still a great season to be proud of.