St. Edward Hockey 2020-2021

sehs

The Eagles return a really strong team full of Seniors and Juniors. As a program, they began a U16 team for this season too and are maintaining their two Varsity teams that they have had the past few years. 2nd Year with Coach Sullivan, I would say they exceeded expectations last year by making the District Final, beating both Holy Name and Rocky River along the way. A tough pill to swallow was the 9-0 defeat to St. Ignatius in the final.

Started the season off strong winning the Cold Turkey Tournament in Toledo by beating Findlay, Olentangy Liberty and Bowling Green and tied Toledo St. Francis. They continued their winning ways by going down to Columbus to beat Liberty again and then University School. Big tests this week against Gilmour and St. Ignatius. I think those two games will be a good measuring stick to see if the gap has closed with the Wildcats. In looking at the schedule, it seems there will be a ton of really good hockey being played all season against really quality Ohio programs. I'm excited!

Ignatius is a very young team and graduated what was likely the best class in program history. They aren’t close to the team of the last few years, although they are getting better game by game. I’d expect a very competitive game with the Eagles.

I would expect it's back to parity or as close to it, like it was before. I think that's best for the two programs over the long term.

I would expect it's back to parity or as close to it, like it was before. I think that's best for the two programs over the long term.

Certainly best for us, but I imagine the Wildcat faithful wouldn't mind seeing the recent trajectory of the programs continue.

Stealing a phrase from the 90's in regards to Wildcats football. We don't rebuild, we reload. Someone else is due to rise up and Ed's draws from the same group of kids the Cats draw from. Thank goodness we still are playing. The HS hockey narrative this year should be competitive and entertaining.

5-1 over US and 6-0 over Gilmour. Can't remember the last time we put it on those two schools like that. Big one today.

Eds looked great vs Gilmour. Eds looked fast and focused. Big matchup today if I am not mistaken. Already had my sons morning PW matchup at Winterhurst get double booked and canceled after showing up. Hope the older boys dont have that happen. :giggle:

7-0 over the Wildcats tonight! Tremendous game for St. Ed’s! Definitely special for the Seniors who haven’t come close to beating St. Ignatius in 3 years. Padua Holiday tournament coming up next?

Eagles seemed to have cemented their position as the number one team in the state after the come-form-behind win against St. Francis yesterday. They are putting a lot of pucks in the net lately, but it looks the defense and goalie platoon are the catalyst for success at this early point in the season.

They had another big win against Upper Arlington 3-1 Sunday afternoon. They have a tough tournament against some real great competition this coming weekend, I think that will show a lot but so far the early season returns have the Eagles as the team to beat in Ohio.

The Eagles have defeated University School 3-1 and lost to Chicago area power New Trier 2-1 in the Fr. Welsch Showcase this week. They play Sylvania Northview today. Unsure if they will being playing St. Ignatius or not this week, it is St. Ignatius' tournament and they are in it too.

Results this week for St. Ed's: Defeated University School 8-1 on Wednesday, never really looking back after taking the lead and then beating St. Ignatius 8-2 last night. The second game with Ignatius had a bit of drama as the Eagles were down 2-0 early in the first period. They closed the period losing 2-1 and then reeled off 7 more goals. This is a good team St. Ed's has!

This weekend's results saw the Gold team fall to Upper Arlington 3-2 in OT although they outshot them something like 55-10 in the game. They then defeated St. Charles 7-0 and Gilmour 3-1. They play Walsh Jesuit this Friday in a league game. The loss to UA is their first loss to an Ohio team this year, they drew with St. Francis earlier in the season. I don't think losses are bad, especially when it looks like we could have easily been the victors too. The response to that opening loss was great with the big wins over St. Charles and Gilmour! I'm curious to see how the 3 goalie rotation starts to figure itself out for the coaching staff as we get closer to tourney time.

Quite frankly, as an Ignatius grad, I'm amazed at how quickly Ed's has turned its hockey program around. Is it the new coach ,or some other reason?

Quite frankly, as an Ignatius grad, I'm amazed at how quickly Ed's has turned its hockey program around. Is it the new coach ,or some other reason?
I'm an SI alum... my take is that Eds has always been about as good as they are this year. The difference is that SI lost a class of kids who was the best in our history.

Ed's was always going to have a strong team this year, I think they knew this group had a chance to be special with the talent in the Senior and Junior classes. I would agree that St. Ignatius had an exceptional class of talent and a lot of them that graduated last year, but if things are going back to the status quo, I don't remember the last time Ed's beat the Wildcats by such large margins in a year. I thought the 7-0 win early in the season was a mix of the Eagles losing 9-0 in the District Final last year and a number of Wildcat players not having a ton of Varsity ice time yet. I really wanted to see the second game as I felt that would be a more telling game. It was a dream start by St. Ignatius but 8-2 for the final really showed the quality St. Ed's has. I know that the Cats are moving players or have moved a lot of players around their teams and should be more competitive if/when they play again, especially with that sophomore goalie, but on paper the Eagles seem to be a head and shoulders better team.

In the lower competitions for JV and U16, the games have been more competitive which should be a sign of things to come. I think the talent coming into both programs is pretty close now again.

I'm an SI alum... my take is that Eds has always been about as good as they are this year. The difference is that SI lost a class of kids who was the best in our history.
No it's far more than that. Ed's has done a great job getting kids to buy into the "program". When you are as dominate as Iggies has become over the last decade (along with some internal things) parents see a chance to play for an upcoming program and a solid coach.

The Eagles split their games last weekend, with a big win over Holy Name 10-1 and a 3-2 OT loss at Gilmour, they trailed most of that game before tying it in the third and then gave up the OT goal. They play Shaker Heights this Friday and then they will have the Cleveland Cup after that.

Thanks for the updates. shutout.com appears to only be tracking their home team, Cleveland Heights, this year.

Well one more update, the game against Shaker has been canceled tonight. St. Ed's will be playing in the Cleveland Cup and I think hear their OHSAA bracket in the coming week. I would expected them to be the number 1 seed in both. I would expect St. Ignatius to be the #2.

Eagles got a couple monkeys off their back, finally winning a Cleveland Cup and prevailing in an OT game this year. On to the state tournament where we should be the favorites, but the other group of contenders appear to have closed the gap that existed earlier in the year.

The Eagles beat Avon 10-0 on Saturday. It was nice that we avoided Upset Saturday as St. Ignatius, US, and Gilmour all lost. St. Ed's plays Rocky River on Saturday in the District Final (River beat St. Ignatius 5-2 and it seemed really owned the ice all game). I do not believe we played Rocky River this year. In last year's playoffs, St. Ed's won 6-1 in the District Semifinal. I'm worried that this will be a tricky game for the Eagles.

The Eagles beat Avon 10-0 on Saturday. It was nice that we avoided Upset Saturday as St. Ignatius, US, and Gilmour all lost. St. Ed's plays Rocky River on Saturday in the District Final (River beat St. Ignatius 5-2 and it seemed really owned the ice all game). I do not believe we played Rocky River this year. In last year's playoffs, St. Ed's won 6-1 in the District Semifinal. I'm worried that this will be a tricky game for the Eagles.

Certainly shouldn't take any team lightly at this point. I was somewhat stunned at the results this past weekend with those three powerhouse programs all losing.

Eagles get a chance to avenge the 3-2 OT loss to Upper Arlington from earlier this year and their first loss to an Ohio team. What’s everyone’s take on the rematch?

I think it will be another close game. I believe it will be played at the same rink Upper Arlington won their District Final in. The Eagles are good but will need to work for it and as crazy as it sounds, I feel like we aren't a great scoring team. I think we will win a tight one.