St. Edward Hockey 2006-07

Edge86

How many returning starter's this season?
What will be the stength of this team?
How are the Eagles chances for a state title in 2007?

I saw the Eagles only play Ignatius once... is this because the Wildcats got bounced from the Red North?

JazzyJeff said:
I saw the Eagles only play Ignatius once... is this because the Wildcats got bounced from the Red North?

I would assume so. And I'm pretty sure that one matchup is a non-league game because there is no interdivisional play between the Red North and Red South/West teams. But if memory serves me correct, the Wildcats and Eagles oftentimes play in a lot of the same tournaments. There could be a few additional matchups between these teams that way.

Bennies'01 said:
I would assume so. And I'm pretty sure that one matchup is a non-league game because there is no interdivisional play between the Red North and Red South/West teams. But if memory serves me correct, the Wildcats and Eagles oftentimes play in a lot of the same tournaments. There could be a few additional matchups between these teams that way.

Is there anywhere to view the divisions for next season?

Nevermind...

East

Benedictine
Hudson

North Olmsted

St. Ignatius

North
Lake Catholic
Padua

Shaker Hts.

St. Edward

Trinity

University School

South
Avon Lake[FONT=tahoma, verdana, arial]
EC
Normandy
Strongsville

[/FONT]

JazzyJeff said:
Nevermind...

East

Benedictine
Hudson

North Olmsted

St. Ignatius

North
Lake Catholic
Padua

Shaker Hts.

St. Edward

Trinity

University School

South
Avon Lake[FONT=tahoma, verdana, arial]
EC
Normandy
Strongsville

[/FONT]

As usual, the each Red North team will play the other Red North teams twice, for a total of 10 games. Each Red South/East team will play everyone in their division twice, and then one cross-divisional game with every team in the other division, also totalling 10 games. The Baron Cup will reserve four spots for teams from the Red North, one from the Red East, one from the Red South, one wild card for the second-place team from the Red South or East with the better record, and lastly one for the team with the best record in the White East or White West...I think. Or maybe the White Division has their own Baron Cup. I can't remember at the moment.

Ignatius has kind of suffered from a case of bad timing. Last year was the first year that they decided to have promotions/relegations between the Red North and Red South/East. So because St. Ignatius happened to end up in last place last year, they were relegated and replaced by Trinity who had an outstanding year in the Red East. This will last for two seasons, or after the 2007-2008 season, I think. This is not to say that St. Ignatius is still one of the top teams in the area, because they're not anymore. But they probably deserve better than to be stuck in the Red East, although we'll have to wait and see. Also, St. Ignatius almost left the GCHSHL altogether, but decided against it. My guess is that a major re-alignment could be right around the corner.

Bennies'01 said:
Ignatius has kind of suffered from a case of bad timing. Last year was the first year that they decided to have promotions/relegations between the Red North and Red South/East. So because St. Ignatius happened to end up in last place last year, they were relegated and replaced by Trinity who had an outstanding year in the Red East. This will last for two seasons, or after the 2007-2008 season, I think. This is not to say that St. Ignatius is still one of the top teams in the area, because they're not anymore. But they probably deserve better than to be stuck in the Red East, although we'll have to wait and see. Also, St. Ignatius almost left the GCHSHL altogether, but decided against it. My guess is that a major re-alignment could be right around the corner.

If St. Ignatius had left the GCHSHL, where would they have gone or would hockey have been fazed out at the school?

Edge86 said:
If St. Ignatius had left the GCHSHL, where would they have gone or would hockey have been fazed out at the school?

They would have simply done what Gilmour did a few years ago when they thought they were snubbed: gone "independent" and schedule whomever they please. St. Ignatius have would still been eligible for the OHSAA playoffs, they just wouldn't be able to play for the Baron Cup.

Edge - They would have played an independent schedule like Gilmour does. Gilmour left the GCHSHL for the same reason Ignatius considered leaving. They figure Red North is the only place to be. You have to play that kind of competition to be ready for February hockey...

If memory serves me

If I am correct, last year many of the schools in the whole leauge complained about the dominance of the Red North. So initially the league was going to eliminate the Red North and have stricktly East and West for Red, White, and Blue. Well the Red North teams wanted none of that. For example, that would eliminate Eds playing US or Shaker for the regular season. There were rumors that the Red North teams would break off and form their own league.

Well to attempt a settlement, they came up with this relegation/promotion system. Ignatius happens to be the first to fall. However, when someone said "how far have they fallen" I think that could be said about any of the Red North teams had they finished last. I think (as well as many others) think that the Red North is a cut above all other Cleveland teams (look at the typical playoff results). Well, now that Ignatius has fallen, I think the promotion will get nixed, especially since a lot of people have said Trinity is not that good this year and the only reason they won and were promoted was because of a strong senior class that is now graduated.

My guess is one of two things. Either the old Red North is restored or they break away and form their own league, possilby with Benedictine and maybe another school (since all but Shaker and US are Catholic and US is private, maybe Walsh or Trinity or even Gilmore). If Ignatius would leave because of this, then I dont think it would be far for the others to follow. The lower teams will again complain that they do not get the exposure of Red North or get to play the top teams week in week out preparing them for the playoffs, but if they lose these teams, who will they be complaining to. Anyways, that is all from what I recall, but they may be slight errors in what I just listed.

The whole Red North vs. Red East/West debate is really broken down to the following:

1) If you are an elitist then you want the old formula where the so called best schools pick who can come and go in a higher level Red North. This way you get the best playing the best and some players and coaches believes this gives the better programs the best way to showcase their programs and players to the next level(s).

Pro: The best play the best and you get some really good hockey.
Con: Snobbish and keeps the game from growing in popularity beyond the same core group.

2) If you are an egalitarian you want the proposed expanded Red East/West type set up that was vetoed two years ago. This way you get more programs and players involved in a better brand of hockey.

Pro: Grows the sport past the same old same old and gets some really good new rivalries going.
Con: Some lopsided initial games as the new Red teams get used to a better brand of hockey.

I fall in the 2nd camp and believe in the long run that HS hockey needs to grow as a sport in Cleveland or else it will really get relegated to the back pages of the sports section. I hear all these Red North fans complain about the lack of coverage yet you cannot blame the PD if it is only a handful of the same guys playing for the premier title. Also I want to see some good rivalries start to developed; how about St. Edward v. Avon Lake twice a season? Strongsville v. Padua, Mentor v. Lake Catholic, Benedictine v. Shaker Hts., & US v. Gilmour would all be great series. Yes the 1st few years there would be some blow outs but down the line the level of hockey would rise up and then the next tier of growing programs, the White Leagues, will be ready to enter into mix and you have a growing sport.

I think the "Red North" should be expanded, but not to more than 8-10 teams. I think Benedictine is on the cusp of belonging, and Gilmour is already well past that point. Throw in Trinity and perhaps Avon Lake along with the six of the "traditional Red North," and that's your league. As other teams prove themselves, things could be realigned. But right now, Auggie, there are some teams that you mentioned that simply do not belong, and perhaps never will no matter how high the level they are playing at.

I think Bene should be added to the Red North. The Red North is not what it was 2 or 3 years ago, it is down in general, and has less room for condescention. Bene, as said, is on the cusp, and playing a Red North schedule could help them out, they will be elite soon. Trinity had a good group the last couple of years, but I don't think that that group's results are indicitave of the program. They graduated how many players last year? Wasn't it 17 or 18? They will struggle mightily this year.

The intent of shuffling the top RE/S team with the bottom RN team was to open up the possibility of a team like Bene becoming elite, but it's not necessarily the best way. Not sure what is, though.

Re-alignment system

I don't think Benedictine is Red North ready...yet. From what I gathered they lost the two point leaders in the entire red division to graduation,but there program is bringing in ten to fifteen kids every year now and in won't be long before this program is in the Red North.They are no longer a east side alternative program and are bringing in west side kids now.Trinity I feel should be in the Red South this year and the I think the Move up/Move Down system is flawed anyway. I think the Red North coaches should vote on what team they want in the Red North and what teams they don't. Its not long until the once dominant program at Shaker falls into the Red South. Since there state title run it has been all down hill and it 's not getting any better this year. They only have one or two red north caliber players on this years team and this season could prove to be a long one for Shaker.

At this point, it's really hard to say what would be the best system.

On the one hand, I truly do sympathize with the roughly four (some years five) elite teams in the Red North. It is in their best interests to be taking on the best area competition that they can in the limited number of games that the OHSAA allows. They shouldn't be forced to "waste" a lot of games on wiping the floor with lower competition. I believe this is why Cleveland has been so successful over the years in the state playoffs.

On the other hand, I wish that there were a better system for the up and coming programs to get a chance to play and compete with the elite, because I know this will only make them (and hockey in this area in general) better. The current two-year relegation/promotion plan doesn't really help that situation.

Hey, I apologize to the St. Edward fans for taking this thread quite a bit off topic. But to get it back on topic, I was wondering where the Eagles were playing this weekend? What about the rest of the Cleveland area big boys? I thought I heard that the MetroPlex has been closed, so I guess no more Turkey Bowl (or whatever they called that big tourney).

I thought I saw some box scores that St. Edward played in a Turkey Bowl and got crushed by Bethel Park 7-0. Bethel Park had 58 shots on goal. The Championship was played and Padua crushed Bethel Park. I was hoping that the Eagles team was the JV's playing in a varsity tournament. Can anyone tell me anything about this past weekend?

I am hearing that the Eagles sat the varsity team against Bethel and played JV's. Any truth to that WD?

whidden will gave eagles ready

Iggy may have beaten them this time but trust me if they meet in the state playoffs i would take st eds by at least two goals.

They have played real well since that Turkey Bowl tourney where they apparently sat some players.
They are tied for first with Padua at 3-0 in the Red North.
12/1: W 3-2 OT vs Lake Catholic
12/8: W 7-0 vs Trinity
12/9: W 2-1 at University School

Padua's Holiday Tournament is up next.
Participants: Padua, Eds, US, Lake Catholic, Northview, Findlay, St. John's Jesuit, and Strongsville

They could play Padua in the championship game on 12/17, then will play them in a Red North game on 12/22.