St. Edward (4-0) @ Massillon (3-1)

It's good that IUDevice gave us the full WX report, before signing off... but I don't think the weather is going to matter for this one... my prediction: Ed a LOT (35-45 range) to Washington a little (7).

Elder did not seem to have a run game. To me every play was a pass.
Elder got away with a nice screen but only called the play one time.
I feel the play calling hurt Elder.
Ed knew what was coming
True, Elder didn’t run much; only 15 rushes for 69 yards. Despite intense pressure from the Eagles, Hambleton completed 26 of 36 passes for 259 yards. That suggests to me that Elder's play calling and execution was pretty good overall. The three interceptions and porous defense killed their chances.

I actually don’t think we will know where this team is at until after the Fitch game. This is a game to prepare us for the talent we might see in the final 4 or champ game.
Yeah I agree that’s probably a little more accurate. I don’t know about championship game but you never know

True, Elder didn’t run much; only 15 rushes for 69 yards. Despite intense pressure from the Eagles, Hambleton completed 26 of 36 passes for 259 yards. That suggests to me that Elder's play calling and execution was pretty good overall. The three interceptions and porous defense killed their chances.
So elder offenses got 4.6 yards per carry. That didn't run much.

I always like to watch a game a year at Massillon……great venue.Hope they can keep this game competitive.SE has some monsters upfront and very good skill across the board. This game may truly show the difference between division one and division two.Good health to both teams.

Massillon wants the game at home. Last year they played all their regular season games at home. They have 3 road games this year. they have played 7 road games in last 3 seasons

Game like this, win....lose....or get hammered, are what makes a season fun, I love playing St. I....St. Ed....Pick Central. It challenges you as a player, makes you focus more. It gives you something to be excited about and look forward to as a player and a fan. Some schools play average to below average league foes, and that's ok....you can only play who is in your conference, but when given the opportunity to schedule at least one capable non conference opponent, they fail to do so and schedule mostly lower division average, to below average teams.

Last edited:
The 2004 game was in Massillon.

St. Edward 37
Massillon. 7
That's not true, it was definitely at Lakewood. The 2000 game was pretty incredible. Justin Zwick led late drive that culminated in like a 52 yard field goal to win it as time expired. Controversially, there was a play on that drive that was ruled an incomplete pass that Eagle fans swear he threw sitting down. Seems like ages ago but the playoffs had just expanded to 8 teams per region and Ed's had not made them since 1996 with a lot of mediocre teams in the late 1990s. They had been blown out by Ignatius in the Holy War the week before something like 37-0 and it looked like Ed's needed a win against Massillon to secure the playoff birth. The Eagles missed like 3 FG's and an extra point from what I remember which set the stage for the late game dramatics.

In 2004 Ed's rocked Massillon, I think it was Shepas' last year. The year before wasn't that close either, something like 27-6 with the only Tiger score coming on an Eagle defender running the wrong way on an INT. No chance in the '04 game, the Eagles had their way with them at Lakewood Stadium. Still shocked that the next year in the '05 state semifinal at the Rubber Bowl that Massillon beat St. Ed's in another thrilling game, coming from down 17-7 in the 4th quarter to win 21-17. How a team that had been beaten so soundly the previous two years changed and developed that much still seems crazy but that's why you play the games. Probably Gibbon's best team at St. Ed's in 2005.

That's not true, it was definitely at Lakewood. The 2000 game was pretty incredible. Justin Zwick led late drive that culminated in like a 52 yard field goal to win it as time expired. Controversially, there was a play on that drive that was ruled an incomplete pass that Eagle fans swear he threw sitting down. Seems like ages ago but the playoffs had just expanded to 8 teams per region and Ed's had not made them since 1996 with a lot of mediocre teams in the late 1990s. They had been blown out by Ignatius in the Holy War the week before something like 37-0 and it looked like Ed's needed a win against Massillon to secure the playoff birth. The Eagles missed like 3 FG's and an extra point from what I remember which set the stage for the late game dramatics.

In 2004 Ed's rocked Massillon, I think it was Shepas' last year. The year before wasn't that close either, something like 27-6 with the only Tiger score coming on an Eagle defender running the wrong way on an INT. No chance in the '04 game, the Eagles had their way with them at Lakewood Stadium. Still shocked that the next year in the '05 state semifinal at the Rubber Bowl that Massillon beat St. Ed's in another thrilling game, coming from down 17-7 in the 4th quarter to win 21-17. How a team that had been beaten so soundly the previous two years changed and developed that much still seems crazy but that's why you play the games. Probably Gibbon's best team at St. Ed's in 2005.
I think you've got your 2000 and 2004 games confused.

Anyone want to set things straight?