St. Edward 2022-23

If any of you watched the matches at Fargo this past week, the future is very bright. The line up will be very strong and should be able to compete with most teams across the country. The Eagles will be on the road this winter with stops in Indiana, Pa, Michigan and IL. Those stops will find the Eagles wrestling many of the top 10 teams as ranked today. The match in late Jan against Blair will tell us where the Eagles stand heading into the state duals.

I can see at least 1 AA from Fargo not making this line up. Which is just amazing. I don't think we will see the "real" St. Ed's team until Jan 7th or 13th. (Assuming the football has the run that is expected) The line up could be missing as many as 5 potential starters.

The wrestle offs scheduled for Nov 23rd should be incredible. This team is very young, very talented and very deep at almost every weight.
Only 133 days until the season kicks off in the Eagles Nest with a quad. Going to be a very interesting year.

If any of you watched the matches at Fargo this past week, the future is very bright. The line up will be very strong and should be able to compete with most teams across the country. The Eagles will be on the road this winter with stops in Indiana, Pa, Michigan and IL. Those stops will find the Eagles wrestling many of the top 10 teams as ranked today. The match in late Jan against Blair will tell us where the Eagles stand heading into the state duals.

I can see at least 1 AA from Fargo not making this line up. Which is just amazing. I don't think we will see the "real" St. Ed's team until Jan 7th or 13th. (Assuming the football has the run that is expected) The line up could be missing as many as 5 potential starters.

The wrestle offs scheduled for Nov 23rd should be incredible. This team is very young, very talented and very deep at almost every weight.
Only 133 days until the season kicks off in the Eagles Nest with a quad. Going to be a very interesting year.
It's entirely possible a state placer from last season may not be in the line up either. Or at the least fighting to find a spot. Strength of weight class clearly a factor.

You can be the second best kid in the state and not make the line up. With that said, if you are attending St. Edward HS solely to wrestle, you may have made a life choice that may not work out. St. Edward HS does have a great academic curriculum if you choose to follow it. The International Baccalaureate program is top notch!

What a stressful weekend. A great job by the coaching staff and support staff getting those kids ready to wrestle and have the correct mindset. All 12 of those wrestlers contributed to another title for the Eagles. I can't remember the last time the Eagles were this young. The future is very bright and we will need to continue to work hard to keep ahead of the competition. Which will be fierce the next few years.
So, time to look ahead to next year. projected line up.

6 Timar/Incoming freshman
13 incoming freshman
20 Manns
26 Butler
32 Brown
38 Bennett
44 Eaton
50 Goldberg/O'brien Androsik
57 incoming freshman
65 Miller
75 Miller
90 Delsanter/Waugh
15 Slapper/Greggory
hwy Regovich/Kilbane
Jarell, the state runner up last season, plans on going 75?

You can be the second best kid in the state and not make the line up. With that said, if you are attending St. Edward HS solely to wrestle, you may have made a life choice that may not work out. St. Edward HS does have a great academic curriculum if you choose to follow it. The International Baccalaureate program is top notch!
Agree , however we really won't know if "you're the second best kid in the state " unless you competed in the state tournament, but I get your point. I've seen a few probable "placers" over the years not make the line up, as for state runner ups though likely very rare. St Ed's has over the years found ways to get the best kids in the line up, though maybe not the weight class they wanted.

Agree , however we really won't know if "you're the second best kid in the state " unless you competed in the state tournament, but I get your point. I've seen a few probable "placers" over the years not make the line up, as for state runner ups though likely very rare. St Ed's has over the years found ways to get the best kids in the line up, though maybe not the weight class they wanted.
Gus Sako was behind Jamie Clark his freshman year, and most likely was a top 2 kid had he been in the lineup.

Their 106 this year, Timar, was probably a possible finalist as well. Not a guarantee by any stretch, but also not a stretch to say he could have placed top 4 either.

There are probably a good couple dozen high state placers - finalists from St Ed's, that did not start from the get in that program.

Last edited:
Not to go off thread.... but Tucker Armstrong might have something to say, State champ for SPG, not in line up next year. Think he went to JV events? ?‍♂️

Not to go off thread.... but Tucker Armstrong might have something to say, State champ for SPG, not in line up next year. Think he went to JV events? ?‍♂️
Won Super 32 that fall, lost 2 wrestle offs lol, one to a freshman. A shame neither he or Neibert could make 119.

St Ed’s is going to have another really good backup or 2 at 106 this year. A few good kids for that lowest weight and only one spot.

Wrestle offs are 19 days away! On December 3rd you will see several new faces wrestling for the Eagles. The line up be much different come Dec 29th or Jan 7th. Some of the younger Eagles will get a chance to wrestle in December.

Can't say that I don't blame Ed's for dropping out of Beast, it's in enemy territory, a Blue state plus powerade is a just as good if not better and closer
Crown Point tourney should be quite good too, not as good or as big as Beast or Ironman, but quite a few ranked teams for a 16 team tournament. Brownsburg, Crown Point, Davison, Marmion, Lowell, Graham, etc heck half the teams in the tournament are probably nationally ranked.

Let me ponder that for a minute and get back to you
If bigger is better, Beast is best. 160+ teams.
Most of the top teams have bailed on Beast. Blair, Sem, Stillwater, STED, Crown Point, Detroit CC, Buchanan, Gilroy, Poway, Perrysburg, Edmond N, Waverly-Shell Rock. All top 15 teams.

Beast is a grind. Sat. weigh ins at 6:30am, last session over @ 9:00pm and then back at 7:30am for Sun. weigh ins. Not team friendly.
The top teams have other options now and many have chosen them as opposed to Beast. IronMan, Powerade, Doc B, Journeyman Dual, Brecksville...

Still a great tourney and I'm sure I'll tune in to watch.

If bigger is better, Beast is best. 160+ teams.
Most of the top teams have bailed on Beast. Blair, Sem, Stillwater, STED, Crown Point, Detroit CC, Buchanan, Gilroy, Poway, Perrysburg, Edmond N, Waverly-Shell Rock. All top 15 teams.

Beast is a grind. Sat. weigh ins at 6:30am, last session over @ 9:00pm and then back at 7:30am for Sun. weigh ins. Not team friendly.
The top teams have other options now and many have chosen them as opposed to Beast. IronMan, Powerade, Doc B, Journeyman Dual, Brecksville...

Still a great tourney and I'm sure I'll tune in to watch.
While Blair is gone, St Eds left long ago.....There are still many of those East Coast teams with top individuals that you wont see anywhere else but the Beast. Throw in Wyoming Seminary...Lake highland prep...Great bridge, Don Bosco. Malvern Prep... Mcdonogh school and ......many others. As you mentioned the Grind is the most difficult tourney in the country without doubt. Plenty of PA and NJ up and comers will be knocking off ranked guys, I've seen it many times there. The overall wrestling ability there is the best and certainly the deepest IMO.

While Blair is gone, St Eds left long ago.....There are still many of those East Coast teams with top individuals that you wont see anywhere else but the Beast. Throw in Wyoming Seminary...Lake highland prep...Great bridge, Don Bosco. Malvern Prep... Mcdonogh school and ......many others. As you mentioned the Grind is the most difficult tourney in the country without doubt. Plenty of PA and NJ up and comers will be knocking off ranked guys, I've seen it many times there. The overall wrestling ability there is the best and certainly the deepest IMO.
Many of the top teams aren't going. It's too big, too long you can't bring in food or drinks. It's simply more about the money. If it wasn't it wouldn't have 160+ teams. If it was the best tournament in the country, the best teams in the country would want to participate.
No argument against it having tough competition. I'll defer to the experts though...

Many of the top teams aren't going. It's too big, too long you can't bring in food or drinks. It's simply more about the money. If it wasn't it wouldn't have 160+ teams. If it was the best tournament in the country, the best teams in the country would want to participate.
No argument against it having tough competition. I'll defer to the experts though...
Eds left long ago, MANY BEST teams are there, and individuals. Everything doesnt begin and end with Blair and St Eds . Several teams at Beast would give them a run for their money this year. Wyoming Seminary is there this year also...along with 7 of the top 30 guys P4P in the country. I doubt any tournament has as many ranked guys top 30 P4P...let alone the size of the brackets to win. As for deferring to the "experts" you're going to get several different opinions, many biased for a variety of reasons. I Will say this.....several "experts" will say Beast ....lol

How long does it take for the footballers who also wrestle to get in shape? Funny, just coming off a football season but not in wrestling shape! Ha! Hopefully 2 more weeks of FB!
Go Eagles!