St. Edward 2012-2013

EagleFan

Fan of Eagle
The schedule.

Fri 11/23 A St. Michaels College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto
Sat 11/24 A Ashbury College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto
Sat 11/24 A Upper Canada College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto
Fri 11/30 A Upper St. Clair (PA) @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY
Sat 12/1 A Serra Catholic @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY
Sat 12/1 A Glenbrook South (IL) @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY
Sun 12/2 A TBD @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY
Sat 12/8 H Lake Catholic @ Winterhurst
Fri 12/14 H St. Ignatius @ Winterhurst
Sat 12/15 A Strongsville @ IceLand
Fri 12/21 A Olentangy @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand
Sat 12/22 A Toledo St. Francis DeSales @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand
Sat 12/22 A Sylvania Northview @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand
Sun 12/23 A TBD @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand
Thu 12/27 H TBD @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst
Fri 12/28 H TBD @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst
Sat 12/29 H TBD @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst
Sat 1/5 A Walsh Jesuit @ Kent State
Fri 1/11 H Shaker Heights @ Winterhurst
Sat 1/12 A Gilmour @ TBA
Fri 1/18 A TBD @ Meadville MLK Tournament
Sat 1/19 A TBD @ Meadville MLK Tournament
Sun 1/20 A TBD @ Meadville MLK Tournament
Fri 1/25 A University School @ The Pond
Sat 1/26 H Strongsville @ Winterhurst
Wed 1/30 A Lake Catholic @ Mentor
Thu 1/31 H University School @ Winterhurst
Sat 2/2 A St. Ignatius @ Brooklyn
2/3 - 2/10 Baron Cup (for last time? :( )
2/10 - 2/23 Sectionals @ Brooklyn
2/24 - 3/2 Distrocts @ Brooklyn
3/9 - 3/10 State Tournament @ Nationwide Arena

The schedule.

2/3 - 2/10 Baron Cup (for last time? :( )

It will be a sad day when there is no Baron Cup. That is one of my favorite high school sporting event of the year, ahead of the hockey state tournament and right up there with the Ironman and wrestling state tournament. Dingy little Brooklyn is the perfect setting for it.

I also like the Baron Cup but the move to a new league was needed. It really doesn't change much and I hope some day the GCHSHL can incorporate the Baron Cup as the "All-Cleveland" championship, not just champions of their league. The Eagles won a game this past weekend up at Canada and competed in all but one against pretty good competition.

Fri 11/23 A St. Michaels College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto, L:5-1
Sat 11/24 A Ashbury College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto, W:3-1
Sat 11/24 A Upper Canada College @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto, L:6-0
Sat 11/24 A Academie Saint-Louis @ Upper Canada College Tournament in Toronto, L:2-1
Fri 11/30 A Upper St. Clair (PA) @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY, W:5-2
Sat 12/1 A Serra Catholic @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY, W:11-3
Sat 12/1 A Glenbrook South (IL) @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY, W:8-0
Sun 12/2 A University School @ Jamestown National Invitational in Jamestown NY, L:3-2 OT
Mon 12/3 A Shaker Heights @ Thornton Park, W:2-1
Sat 12/8 H Lake Catholic @ Winterhurst, L:4-3
Fri 12/14 H St. Ignatius @ Winterhurst, L:3-1
Sat 12/15 A Strongsville @ IceLand, W:10-0
Fri 12/21 A Olentangy @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand, T:3-3
Sat 12/22 A Toledo St. Francis DeSales @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand, W:8-2
Sat 12/22 A Sylvania Northview @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ IceLand, L:4-2
Sun 12/23 A Olentangy @ Padua Holiday Tournament @ Iceland, T: 2-2
Thu 12/27 H Dublin Coffman @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst, W:4-3
Fri 12/28 H Meadville (PA) @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst, L:2-1
Fri 12/28 H Loyola Academy (IL) @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhust, W:5-3
Sat 12/29 H University School @ Eagle Classic @ Winterhurst, W:2-1
Sat 1/5 A Walsh Jesuit @ Kent State, L:4-2
Fri 1/11 H Shaker Heights @ Winterhurst, L:4-3
Sat 1/12 A Gilmour @ TBA, L:3-2 OT
Fri 1/18 A Upper St. Clair (PA) @ Meadville MLK Tournament, W:4-3
Sat 1/19 A North Allegheny (PA) @ Meadville MLK Tournament, W:6-3
Sat 1/19 A Bethel Park (PA) @ Meadville MLK Tournament, W:3-2 OT
Sat 1/19 A Jamestown (PA) @ Meadville MLK Tournament, W:12-0
Sun 1/20 A St. Ignatius @ Meadville MLK Tournament, L:4-2
Fri 1/25 A University School @ The Pond, W:2-0
Sat 1/26 H Strongsville @ Winterhurst, W:7-0
Wed 1/30 A Lake Catholic @ Mentor, W:2-0
Thu 1/31 H University School @ Winterhurst, L:5-3
Sat 2/2 A St. Ignatius @ Brooklyn, W:5-2
2/3 - 2/10 Baron Cup (for last time? ), X
Sat 2/9 A DeMatha (MD), W:3-1
Tue 2/19 Districts v. Garfield Hgts. @ Brooklyn, W:13-1
Sat 2/23 Districts v. Amherst @ Brooklyn, W:9-2
Wed 2/27 District Semi v. Holy Name @ Brooklyn
Sat 3/2 District Final v. Rocky River @ Brooklyn
3/9 - 3/10 State Tournament @ Nationwide Arena

Last edited:
Looks like the state tournament is going to be wide open with no clear favorite. I would add that hockey of all the sports might be the most damaged by a split between the publics and privates. I can't imagine a state title being worth spit without the participation of Ed's, Ignatius, University School, and St. Johns.

Looks like the state tournament is going to be wide open with no clear favorite. I would add that hockey of all the sports might be the most damaged by a split between the publics and privates. I can't imagine a state title being worth spit without the participation of Ed's, Ignatius, University School, and St. Johns.

Some would argue that a sport like hockey is the reason publics and privates should split. Not me.

If a split occurs high school sports as we know them will change forever. Huge mistake. OSHAA will lose more revenue. We all know that won't happen!

Public/private split not a positive thing for the state in any sport. I would argue that your Cats are the favorite come post season tournament time. A tad less pressure this year going into the tourney not having that undefeated string looming in the background like 2012... I think your athletes will play "looser" than they did year end 2012.

But I am still going to root for my Eagles to win both the Baron and state tourney(s).

Eagles screwed out of Baron Cup spot

http://highschoolsports.cleveland.c...nament/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

If they didn't make the Final in Meadville, wouldn't be an issue. If they didn't schedule Walsh, wouldn't be an issue. Who's at fault here?

The athletic department has to take the blame. They knew the regular season limit rule before making this schedule and took the risk of exceeding the limit come Baron Cup time. My question is, why not forfeit a game following the Meadville Tourney when it was apparent that they would go over the limit? Was that not an option? If so, someone really dropped the ball.

The athletic department has to take the blame. They knew the regular season limit rule before making this schedule and took the risk of exceeding the limit come Baron Cup time. My question is, why not forfeit a game following the Meadville Tourney when it was apparent that they would go over the limit? Was that not an option? If so, someone really dropped the ball.

Blame should be on Michalko. Second time this has happened in the last couple years with the hockey team.

Also on his watch the football fiasco a while back when the team had to forfeit games because he didn't have all his T's crossed and I's dotted.

Sketchy situation this past June with the baseball resignation (Ali forced out?) hiring (Ducic in Plain Dealer), resigning of Ducic a few weeks later (health reason given, but he coached varsity football), another hiring never reported in the news (someone with a total of 20 games of coaching experience anywhere as a JV assistant first base coach) coaches already leaving and kids not wanting to play baseball for this staff, transferring, etc.

I love the quote "we'll deal with the consequences". No, the kids will be the one's that really have to deal with missing out on the Baron Cup, not the AD.

Could it be time to cut Michalko loose and bring in a real St. Edward alum to be the AD? I have serious doubts about Michalko being right for the school.

Last edited:
The gaffes on the AD's watch may be one thing, but this seems more like a coach's mistake. It's a sport with an uncertain number of games (unlike football or basketball); the coach would be best informed to make the decision on number of games and putting together a schedule. As for forfeiting a game after Meadville...the schedule seems to indicate that all of St. Ed's remaining games were league games. Tough choice at that point.

CatAlum is correct - Every game following Meadville was a league game.

It really boggles my mind how this can happen - especially twice in three years. Another thing I don't understand is how this issue did not even arise until just this week. Don't you think they would have realized this weeks ago? Article says Gray knew playing fifth game in Meadville would be consequential. Then why didn't he bring this issue up before they seeded the Baron Cup? Now there are three Red North East (formerly Red South) teams in the bottom half of the bracket, and Hudson comes in late and gets the #2 seed.

None of it makes sense, and it's quite unfortunate.

I agree on all counts. Baron Cup committee deserved better. The players deserved better. Both AD and head coach have responsibility here.

This was the last Baron Cup for the Eagles and they can't play. Sad.

Michalko is doing a great job as AD

Under the leadership of Paul Michalko St. Eds athletic department has accomplished more under his guidance than any other AD. Our only football championship came under his leadership, our first and only track championship, two baseball championships, several wrestling championships. Also basketball has been doing outstanding under his reign. He may be somewhat to blame as for as hockey is concerned but coach Troy Gray should have a better picture of how many games Eds has played. Incidently, St. Eds is very lucky to have Troy as their coach, he is probably the only hockey coach in history to have taken his team to the championship game in both of the years he has coached. JMO

Some would argue that a sport like hockey is the reason publics and privates should split. Not me.

I guess I should be careful how I word this, but the situation for high school hockey seems to me to be infinitely worse than the one that exists in almost any other sport. It has much to do with the structure of youth hockey in Ohio, the costs of the sport, and lack of overall parody that has existed for the past two or three decades which attracts players to a very limited number of schools. I wouldn't go so far as to advocate for a split, but there are big issues and clearly schools like Solon, Mentor, and Strongsville (all of which have otherwise solid athletic departments) are not really playing the same game as schools like St. Ignatius, St. Edward, and University School.

Shaker Heights is a unique situation, but clearly an outlier as far as public schools go in the world of high school hockey.

I guess I should be careful how I word this, but the situation for high school hockey seems to me to be infinitely worse than the one that exists in almost any other sport. It has much to do with the structure of youth hockey in Ohio, the costs of the sport, and lack of overall parody that has existed for the past two or three decades which attracts players to a very limited number of schools. I wouldn't go so far as to advocate for a split, but there are big issues and clearly schools like Solon, Mentor, and Strongsville (all of which have otherwise solid athletic departments) are not really playing the same game as schools like St. Ignatius, St. Edward, and University School.

Shaker Heights is a unique situation, but clearly an outlier as far as public schools go in the world of high school hockey.

You started out with a rather definitive statement. Then you took it down with specifics. Why is Shaker a "unique situation"? And why can't Mentor or Strongsville compete in this sport (assuming they have a rink)? I realize that this is a private dominant sport at the moment, but does it necessarily have to be that way? Just as girls' basketball in the Cleveland area appears to be in an ere where a couple of public schools are on the rise, why can't that happen in hockey? Is it because a lot of hockey players are Catholic high school oriented people (I actually DO think that's part of it)?

You started out with a rather definitive statement. Then you took it down with specifics. Why is Shaker a "unique situation"? And why can't Mentor or Strongsville compete in this sport (assuming they have a rink)? I realize that this is a private dominant sport at the moment, but does it necessarily have to be that way? Just as girls' basketball in the Cleveland area appears to be in an ere where a couple of public schools are on the rise, why can't that happen in hockey? Is it because a lot of hockey players are Catholic high school oriented people (I actually DO think that's part of it)?

A) In hockey, it is not terribly difficult to predict which middle school level (Pee Wee) players are going to be successful at the high school level. This is not like football, track, wrestling or perhaps even basketball where next star player may be walking your hallways and just needs a little encouragement and development. No one picks up hockey in 9th grade and turns into a big-time contributor by 11th grade.

B) Coaches don't have to uncover every stone to know where to find the best players and some take advantage of this situation. (And public schools are usually playing defense in trying to keep their best players in the system.)

C) Players that want to play at the highest level of the sport in high school have very limited options.

Shaker is in its own class because it has a long-standing tradition at the high school level and arguably the best city-based youth program in the state. It also doesn't hurt that the high school has a decent academic reputation. Despite all of these advantages, the program still has had more lengthy down periods in recent years than the best four or five private schools have.

All I'm saying is that hockey is really a different animal and the current structure is more heavily titled in favor of private schools than just about any other sport I can think of. I usually agree with you almost 100% on these types of issues, so I am curious to read what you think. All of this is simply based on my years growing up playing youth hockey in the CSHL, at the high school level at Benny, and what I'm hearing now from folks currently involved in the sport at both levels.

I guess that, yes, I do believe that open enrollment will dictate that this remain a private dominated sport in the coming years.

Hope the Eagles don't overlook Holy Name tonight, St. Ignatius was upset by Rocky River 3-1 last night.