St. Ed's Results in IL

I agree that Perrysburg has a legitimate shot to win. I believe going in they have more wrestlers with a higher probability of scoring points. There's way more uncertainty with Eds. They can possibly place 14, or under perform at every single weight. If I had to bet, I would go with Eds though.
Agreed . Ed's will get plenty of bonus points too, 120 is very thin weight this year so Butler likely makes finals with a couple of bonus point matches. I doubt they'll place 14 unless the talent is pretty low all weights this year......I've seen them wrestle 3 x in person this year they're decent but get exposed when wrestling above average opponents. They probably need to place at last 9-10 to win it.

Agreed . Ed's will get plenty of bonus points too, 120 is very thin weight this year so Butler likely makes finals with a couple of bonus point matches. I doubt they'll place 14 unless the talent is pretty low all weights this year......I've seen them wrestle 3 x in person this year they're decent but get exposed when wrestling above average opponents. They probably need to place at last 9-10 to win it.
I was looking at past results from the state tournament and I don't think Eds is a 200 point team. Maybe 160 to 175? They don't have the 2 ( that's probably the average over the last 20 years) state champion sure shots they usually have. I can see Wadsworth, Brecksville, and Perry picking away at them as well. That's what will have to happen for Perrysburg to win.

Last edited:
I was looking at past results from the state tournament and I don't think Eds is a 200 point team. Maybe 160 to 175? They don't have the 2 ( that's probably the average over the last 20 years) state champion sure shots. I can see Wadsworth, Brecksville, and Perry picking away at them as well. That's what will have to happen for Perrysburg to win.
Yep.

175 is the weight where things may come down too. Takats vs. Miller. This is similar to last year where Bennett was able to upset Takats after losing to him 2-3x prior.

I think Eds really can place all 14 wrestlers this year, with many coming into the 5-8 range but hey, those are valuable points. Peterson at 157 is currently at 12 or so according to Boro, but I think he's capable of beating several guys ranked ahead of him.

Baugh at 215 also a wildcard. A good tough wrestler, I just haven't seen him enough to make a fair assessment but with the guys around him he's capable of being top 8 where I think Russo and Vanadia are the only 2 locks.

175 is the weight where things may come down too. Takats vs. Miller. This is similar to last year where Bennett was able to upset Takats after losing to him 2-3x prior.

I think Eds really can place all 14 wrestlers this year, with many coming into the 5-8 range but hey, those are valuable points. Peterson at 157 is currently at 12 or so according to Boro, but I think he's capable of beating several guys ranked ahead of him.

Baugh at 215 also a wildcard. A good tough wrestler, I just haven't seen him enough to make a fair assessment but with the guys around him he's capable of being top 8 where I think Russo and Vanadia are the only 2 locks.
I think Baugh has a really good shot to place. Outside of Vanadia and Russo, the weight is pretty thin. Baugh is obviously not Delsanter, but he is not THAT far behind, tbh.

Peterson, I wouldn't call a "weak link" but he is definitely the one guy I worry about. Although, after the top 3 guys in that weight, there is a pretty big drop off, so he could definitely be a top 8 guy. It is a pretty competitive district though, so it would be devastating to Ed's if he didn't get out somehow.

I think Baugh has a really good shot to place. Outside of Vanadia and Russo, the weight is pretty thin. Baugh is obviously not Delsanter, but he is not THAT far behind, tbh.

Peterson, I wouldn't call a "weak link" but he is definitely the one guy I worry about. Although, after the top 3 guys in that weight, there is a pretty big drop off, so he could definitely be a top 8 guy. It is a pretty competitive district though, so it would be devastating to Ed's if he didn't get
Going back 25 years there's only one division 1 team that has won a state title with only one champion, that being 2015 St Eds. I am a huge St Eds fan and am rooting for them to win the title. I am just not sure this team has the recipe to win it all? History is on Ed's side. Perrysburg appears to have the recipe to win. The only thing I am sure of is that this will be a great state tournament.

Going back 25 years there's only one division 1 team that has won a state title with only one champion, that being 2015 St Eds. I am a huge St Eds fan and am rooting for them to win the title. I am just not sure this team has the recipe to win it all? History is on Ed's side. Perrysburg appears to have the recipe to win. The only thing I am sure of is that this will be a great state tournament.
All these eds people trying to not pretend like Ed’s is a serious favorite are blowing my mind. There’s a reason they have 43 of them big old gold trophies. They are a significant favorite to win in March.

All these eds people trying to not pretend like Ed’s is a serious favorite are blowing my mind. There’s a reason they have 43 of them big old gold trophies. They are a significant favorite to win in March.
I believe they're the favorite. Just stated a fact. I want them to win. I just believe it's going to be a battle

I wish Vegas could place odds on it.. I promise you it would be close. By no means a 50 point margin.

Last edited:
I wish Vegas could place odds on it.. I promise you it would be close. By no means a 50 point margin.
Who is their best shot at a title Timar? ? Bennet? They lost to a #17 nationally if they were to place 14 obviously that proves Ohio is thin this year in talent overall. . It would be different if they were a top 5 team nationally , which theyre NOT.

Who is their best shot at a title Timar? ? Bennet? They lost to a #17 nationally if they were to place 14 obviously that proves Ohio is thin this year in talent overall. . It would be different if they were a top 5 team nationally , which theyre NOT.
I think you’re getting really hung up on losing a dual to a very good LHP team without their best wrestler and another starter, they’re a borderline top 10ish team with 0 senior starters. Their best shots at a title are Timar at 106 and Miler at 175 imo.

I think you’re getting really hung up on losing a dual to a very good LHP team without their best wrestler and another starter, they’re a borderline top 10ish team with 0 senior starters. Their best shots at a title are Timar at 106 and Miler at 175 imo.
I think my "hang up" is legit, they also recieved 12 points via FF's. And lost 9 out of 12 wrestled bouts against a very good team albeit, but #17. My only point is those that say they will or can place all 14 at states means Div 1 isn't as tough this years as previous years, across the board. Of course there are still some top individuals on the usual suspects/ challengers teams...Brecksville, MP, Perrysburg....but overall SQ wise must be somewhat thin. I could see Timar losing along the way, it's difficult to beat the same opponent's 3 x in a row ....I'd still give Ed's the edge overall.

Good question. Timar is St. Edward's only wrestler ranked at #1. I think he will have a battle with Seacrist but right now I would favor Timar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown emerge out of the 113 loaded weight class, Bennett at #3 will give VanDyke and Ayoub fits, and Miller at 175 is right there with Takats. So no overwhelming favorite for Eds this year, but the depth is their strength.

I can see the semi finals being a really tough round for many of the Eagles, but that's why wrestlebacks are also so important.

Good question. Timar is St. Edward's only wrestler ranked at #1. I think he will have a battle with Seacrist but right now I would favor Timar.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Brown emerge out of the 113 loaded weight class, Bennett at #3 will give VanDyke and Ayoub fits, and Miller at 175 is right there with Takats. So no overwhelming favorite for Eds this year, but the depth is their strength.

I can see the semi finals being a really tough round for many of the Eagles, but that's why wrestlebacks are also so important.
(y)

I think my "hang up" is legit, they also recieved 12 points via FF's. And lost 9 out of 12 wrestled bouts against a very good team albeit, but #17. My only point is those that say they will or can place all 14 at states means Div 1 isn't as tough this years as previous years, across the board. Of course there are still some top individuals on the usual suspects/ challengers teams...Brecksville, MP, Perrysburg....but overall SQ wise must be somewhat thin. I could see Timar losing along the way, it's difficult to beat the same opponent's 3 x in a row ....I'd still give Ed's the edge overall.
I mean the 2 weights that LHP forfeited are their weakest weights apparently so St Ed’s wins those anyway, to me that’s their strength, no holes in the lineup. I mean I certainly am not predicting Ed’s to get 14 placers, though it would have been much more likely with Kilbane and Delsanter at the back of the lineup. I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the 14 place though and 14 qualifiers is a rare thing and that’s absolutely on the table. I predicted right after last years 176 points 12 qualifiers and 11 placers that they’d beat all of those this year. I’m still feeling like that has decent shot of happening despite a few bumps in the road at the back of the lineup and no seniors starters.

I mean the 2 weights that LHP forfeited are their weakest weights apparently so St Ed’s wins those anyway, to me that’s their strength, no holes in the lineup. I mean I certainly am not predicting Ed’s to get 14 placers, though it would have been much more likely with Kilbane and Delsanter at the back of the lineup. I wouldn’t be surprised if any of the 14 place though and 14 qualifiers is a rare thing and that’s absolutely on the table. I predicted right after last years 176 points 12 qualifiers and 11 placers that they’d beat all of those this year. I’m still feeling like that has decent shot of happening despite a few bumps in the road at the back of the lineup and no seniors starters.
If this Ed's team gets 14 placers, I will know for sure the field ( State Qualifiers) is weaker than normal end of story. There is no other way to see it, there have been way better Eds teams who have 7-8 placers .

If this Ed's team gets 14 placers, I will know for sure the field ( State Qualifiers) is weaker than normal end of story. There is no other way to see it, there have been way better Eds teams who have 7-8 placers .
Ed's scores 187... Not placing 14... If Perrysburg kids get the same respect as Eds they're right there with them.

I mean you have a 13th ranked freshman placing? Why can't Perrysburg lower ranked wrestlers place as well?

I think Ed's best shot at a state champion is at 138. I think Brecksville catches up with Ed's at 106. I also think Perrysburg will take 175.

Not sure what this might mean but almost half the State Champs and State Runner ups return from last year in D1 maybe Top Heavy but not as deep as some years.

Not sure what this might mean but almost half the State Champs and State Runner ups return from last year in D1 maybe Top Heavy but not as deep as some years.
Likely some truth to being "Top heavy" but lacking in depth, especially since Ed's is only favored in 1 weight class for a champ. They also could very easily get zero champs, not a lot has to go wrong for that to happen. (y)

I mean you have a 13th ranked freshman placing? Why can't Perrysburg lower ranked wrestlers place as well?
Absolutely they can, they just have more of them. Going by Boro’s rankings which has Gregory in for Kilbane at 285 but does still have Delsanter at 215, St Ed’s 2nd lowest ranked wrestler behind Peterson is Jonny Slaper at 7 at 190. Given that he’s a 2 time top 6 placer before his junior year I give him more benefit of the doubt that he’s going to get it done come state tournament time than most #7 ranked wrestlers.

Perrysburg meanwhile has 2 unranked weights at 215 and 285 while also being 14th at 195, 12th at 113, and 10th at 138.

The field is weaker—no doubt in my mind. That’s just my view. I don’t even need to see Ed’s get 14 placers for proof. That is just where Ohio is at.

The field is weaker—no doubt in my mind. That’s just my view. I don’t even need to see Ed’s get 14 placers for proof. That is just where Ohio is at.
Eds isn't placing 14.... They will.be lucky to have one state champ...If they win the title without a champion it will be a first