St. Ed's Results in IL

Box Score?
Like to see it as well.....but NOT GOOD against a #17 . Additionally 12 of St Ed's points came off 2 forfeits it appears. So they lost 9 out of 12 matches. Quite frankly I'm not too surprised a few that lost who look great against average opponents.

Box Score?
This is all I could find
Bradley Eaton loses 14-7
Aiden Peterson loses 9-5
Ty Miller loses 4-1
Bobby Hopkins loses 11-4
Johnny Slaper loses 4-2
Ethan Timar wins 4-2
Karson Brown wins 13-9
Khimari Manns loses 3-2
Adam Bulter loses 3-0
Kade Brown wins 7-5
Ryan Bennett loses 7-4
Lucan O’Brien loses 5-1

Lake Highland Prep 27 St. Edward 21 (9-5 matches)
152: Claudio Torres LHP 14-7 Bradley Eaton
160 Josh Boykin LHP 7-4 Aiden Peterson
170 Omer Barak LHP 4-1 Ty Miller
**182 Ronan Tracy LHP 11-4 Bobby Hopkins**
195 Daniel Williams LHP 4-2 Johnny Slaper
220 Behlen Waugh FF (LHP did not have a kid here all day, but the kid they normally have is not good at all)
285 Nathan Gregory FF (LHP did not have a kid here all day, but the kid they normally have is less than not good)
106 Ethan Timar 4-2 Liam Davis
113 Karson Brown 13-9 Charlie Desena
*120 Ethan Rivera LHP 3-2 ot Khamari Manns
*126 Colin Kacena LHP 3-0 Adam Butler
132 Kade Brown 7-5 Zeno Moore
138 Eligh Rivera LHP 7-3 Ryan Bennett (17 over 15 nationally per MatScouts)
145 Ethan Mojena LHP 7-3 Lukan O'Brien

So basically, the .J.R. Miller absence decided the dual in the broadest sense, since it's likely Miller is able to win by bonus against a weaker spot for LHP, whereas St. Edward was forced to put in a backup 157 (Ohio weights) who weighed in over 160+allowance. The 170 and 195 results would be characterized as mild upsets in favor of LHP as well.
St. Edward also had a backup in at 120 with Butler bumping to 126 to cover for Sanderfer, though it's less a sure thing that win/loss gets changed.

STED wrestlers, I believe, we expect to look great against average opponents...

Last edited:
Lake Highland Prep 27 St. Edward 21 (9-5 matches)
152: Claudio Torres LHP 14-7 Bradley Eaton
160 Josh Boykin LHP 7-4 Aiden Peterson
170 Omer Barak LHP 4-1 Ty Miller
**182 Ronan Tracy LHP 11-4 Bobby Hopkins**
195 Daniel Williams LHP 4-2 Johnny Slaper
220 Behlen Waugh FF (LHP did not have a kid here all day, but the kid they normally have is not good at all)
285 Nathan Gregory FF (LHP did not have a kid here all day, but the kid they normally have is less than not good)
106 Ethan Timar 4-2 Liam Davis
113 Karson Brown 13-9 Charlie Desena
*120 Ethan Rivera LHP 3-2 ot Khamari Manns
*126 Colin Kacena LHP 3-0 Adam Butler
132 Kade Brown 7-5 Zeno Moore
138 Eligh Rivera LHP 7-3 Ryan Bennett (17 over 15 nationally per MatScouts)
145 Ethan Mojena LHP 7-3 Lukan O'Brien

So basically, the .J.R. Miller absence decided the dual in the broadest sense, since it's likely Miller is able to win by bonus against a weaker spot for LHP, whereas St. Edward was forced to put in a backup 157 (Ohio weights) who weighed in over 160+allowance. The 170 and 195 results would be characterized as mild upsets in favor of LHP as well.
St. Edward also had a backup in at 120 with Butler bumping to 126 to cover for Sanderfer, though it's less a sure thing that win/loss gets changed.
Thanks for the breakdown.

Like to see it as well.....but NOT GOOD against a #17 . Additionally 12 of St Ed's points came off 2 forfeits it appears. So they lost 9 out of 12 matches. Quite frankly I'm not too surprised a few that lost who look great against average opponents.
I tend to agree with this assessment. They are young—so we will see how they develop…but not sure where the full blown superstars are gonna come from.

I tend to agree with this assessment. They are young—so we will see how they develop…but not sure where the full blown superstars are gonna come from.
The "standard" set for Ed's best teams obviously is a very high bar. They've had plenty of mediocre teams compared to that bar the last several decades, obviously every parent thinks little Johny Jr High champ, or even second placer at the McDonald's tournament is the next "Big" thing, especially those parents that know little about that reality. They're " young" but there have been several "young" Ed's teams with better resume's . Such as Cadet Champs, world team members, national champs etc etc. This is a good "young" team, but not a top ten team by any stretch for St eD'S ...and theyre already finishing up their sophomore season, they've had plenty of time to get some Ironman placements , finalists, etc. after 2 seasons. They don't have any superstars agreed ..........having a 25 and 5 record sounds pretty good unless you're comparing that to some of the best Ed's teams, who have had SEVERAL top 10 guys in their lineup nationally. As far as them "developing" sure they'll be even better next year......but compared to Ed's but young teams of the past who have had several young guys place top 6 in Ironman as freshman sophomores ...not even close.

The "standard" set for Ed's best teams obviously is a very high bar. They've had plenty of mediocre teams compared to that bar the last several decades, obviously every parent thinks little Johny Jr High champ, or even second placer at the McDonald's tournament is the next "Big" thing, especially those parents that know little about that reality. They're " young" but there have been several "young" Ed's teams with better resume's . Such as Cadet Champs, world team members, national champs etc etc. This is a good "young" team, but not a top ten team by any stretch for St eD'S ...and theyre already finishing up their sophomore season, they've had plenty of time to get some Ironman placements , finalists, etc. after 2 seasons. They don't have any superstars agreed ..........having a 25 and 5 record sounds pretty good unless you're comparing that to some of the best Ed's teams, who have had SEVERAL top 10 guys in their lineup nationally. As far as them "developing" sure they'll be even better next year......but compared to Ed's but young teams of the past who have had several young guys place top 6 in Ironman as freshman sophomores ...not even close.
Essentially that is what I said. I just don’t see the superstars on this team.

Essentially that is what I said. I just don’t see the superstars on this team.
The Miller twins likely will end up better than any of the current upperclassman, and are the best of the fresh/soph group. 106 was not very deep or strong last year compared to many other years, Butler was a huge 106 last season, he's still big at 120 he's at the right weight again to place high since other than the foregone champ in Blaze the competition is unusually thin at this weight. Timar and Mans will make some noise the next couple of years ...Bennett will place high ( 1 more year) but never a certain repeat champ. Perrysburg has a real shot of beating them at state this year ...it will be a stretch but doable, bracketing will play a big part in the team race.

Man , I would really like to be at a Face to Face conversation with you two when this happens! Ledgends!
Forum legend(s)? I'm not nearly the most frequent poster here.....people disagree sometimes when they feel threatened by another post(er) ...I get plenty of disagreement lol. I'm wrong at times on assessments on competitors , teams ..like ALL others are ....but I like my odds here. I've been fortunate to have the late great Doug Blubaugh stay at my home several times. and share and compare theories knowledge on the sport ........along with a few other true legends ;)

If we are being 100% transparent here how many as you say "full blown superstars" are in this area? Not many IMO. I think those days are gone. We have several very good top notch wrestlers in the greater Cleveland area. Superstars? Not many. The population in greater Cleveland has shrunk a lot over the last decade. You just don't have the number of wrestlers you had 10 20 30 years ago. The elite tend to go off to Blair, Wyoming or Oklahoma. It's just a different atmosphere in terms of wrestling. I think everyone would agree Shuemate would have been classified as a "superstar" in high school. As many of you know, not only has his super star status not surfaced at OSU, he may not even finish his career at OSU. That is just to name one.

If we are being 100% transparent here how many as you say "full blown superstars" are in this area? Not many IMO. I think those days are gone. We have several very good top notch wrestlers in the greater Cleveland area. Superstars? Not many. The population in greater Cleveland has shrunk a lot over the last decade. You just don't have the number of wrestlers you had 10 20 30 years ago. The elite tend to go off to Blair, Wyoming or Oklahoma. It's just a different atmosphere in terms of wrestling. I think everyone would agree Shuemate would have been classified as a "superstar" in high school. As many of you know, not only has his super star status not surfaced at OSU, he may not even finish his career at OSU. That is just to name one.
"Superstar" High school versus college are two completely different comparisons. MANY superstars continue to be VERY GOOD in college. Some lose the desire and have different priorities. Mikey K is doing great things at Wrestling Factory, the "superstar" while rare, is far from gone.

"Superstar" High school versus college are two completely different comparisons. MANY superstars continue to be VERY GOOD in college. Some lose the desire and have different priorities. Mikey K is doing great things at Wrestling Factory, the "superstar" while rare, is far from gone.
You just confirmed what I wrote. Desire, want and priorities applies to the high school level as well. We will agree to disagree. The quantity of superstars has been gone for some time. Not sure why you brought Mike into this. He has nothing to do with this topic.

You just confirmed what I wrote. Desire, want and priorities applies to the high school level as well. We will agree to disagree. The quantity of superstars has been gone for some time. Not sure why you brought Mike into this. He has nothing to do with this topic.
Mike is one person EXTREMELY capable of developing superstars with a pipeline to St ed's, which is on topic ....thats why.

"Desire" level in high school is much easier to uphold at 14-18 years of age, it's pretty easy to figure out why.

That is my point. It doesn't matter where the superstars are or go off to--they don't seem to be on this Ed's team. I am not making an indictment on the program--just my point regarding the existing talent on this specific team. I am not bashing the program--nor am I making excuses for it. Just making an observation.

Lastly, by the way, the Greater Cleveland Population today is pretty damn close to where it was 12 yrs ago.....just sayin'.

Cleveland Metro Area Population by Year
2022 2,065,967
2012 2,064,776

WTF are you even talking about - may not finish his career at tOSU ?

Last edited:
15ish years ago the highlight of the season would always be the dual with Blair. I wasn't around during the Walsh days) Teams weren't stacked like they were now. Ironman wasn't as strong, Eds may have had "weaker" teams in the 2000's but the overall landscape of wrestling was weak, an it made the TEAM look dominant.

Counter that with the rise of SPG, prep schools other than Blair forming super teams, Ironman increasing across a national landscape; This of course would make Eds look vulnerable. I like it though. You have many exciting and close duals and tourneys throughout the whole year and you aren't going to Columbus with the expectation of will they break their individual state champ or team scoring record? Bring on the competition. Eds continues to develop state champs and send kids to wrestle in all levels of college. They may finish 5th at Ironman and lose a few duals, but it always makes for a very exciting March and they always seem to break through.

Having such a young team where everyone can return next year is exciting. Now is the time to really turn it up and prep to defend their title. I am excited to see how the rest of the season plays out.

The Miller twins likely will end up better than any of the current upperclassman, and are the best of the fresh/soph group. 106 was not very deep or strong last year compared to many other years, Butler was a huge 106 last season, he's still big at 120 he's at the right weight again to place high since other than the foregone champ in Blaze the competition is unusually thin at this weight. Timar and Mans will make some noise the next couple of years ...Bennett will place high ( 1 more year) but never a certain repeat champ. Perrysburg has a real shot of beating them at state this year ...it will be a stretch but doable, bracketing will play a big part in the team race.
I agree that Perrysburg has a legitimate shot to win. I believe going in they have more wrestlers with a higher probability of scoring points. There's way more uncertainty with Eds. They can possibly place 14, or under perform at every single weight. If I had to bet, I would go with Eds though.