Conso rd 64
Pirkel
Lentz

rd OF 8
Brown Sanderder T Miller J Miller

conso
Lentz, Goldberg, Henderson, Perkel, Manns,

Out Kiehl
Were are the Nationally ranked guys at this tournament? Cant find many amongst the gazillion entries. Any nationally ranked match coming up??

Were are the Nationally ranked guys at this tournament? Cant find many amongst the gazillion entries. Any nationally ranked match coming up??
Hardly any are there. This tournament has been lame for a long time. ESPECIALLY amongst the juniors and seniors.
An argument can be made that most national ranked guys are juniors and seniors and have zero to prove at a post season money grab like this. But I suppose this tournament does have a place for freshman and maybe some national honorable mention sophomores. The guys that are a bit young or immature to beat those nationally ranked guys….

VAC is a pure money grab with all their events. There are some large brackets. Some very good wrestlers are there, but the majority of talent is not there. St Ed’s sent a nice contingent, I’m surprised no Timar.

Well congrats to the youth wrestlers for trying to better themselves and apologies to the adults here that are sitting on their couches and complaining about wrestling events happening around the country…. Hope the sun comes out tomorrow!
Lol Complaining isn’t acknowledging the lack of national caliber competition, whats the point of going when you just finished your season and you enter an event with a bunch of fish??

Do you even like wrestling? Genuinely curious.
I know more, have been involved more coaching and competing success wise than you. So your usual spin technique will backfire again… Go ahead tell me im wrong about the strength of the national quality of this tournament? Put your money where your mouth is 😉

Last edited by a moderator:
I know, right? He complains on so many threads.
Discussing the talent, or lack of at a National Tournament is complaining and off limits ? LOL Get the H out of here. Why do we even discuss BIG matches? Burroughs versus Dake, DT versus Taylor, Every time two highly ranked competitors meet at the Ironman?? Should we just pretend a State placer who wrestles a bunch of other non ranked wrestlers is a big deal? Pretend the interest and results are equally relevant?

I know more, have been involved more coaching and competing success wise than you. So your usual spin technique will backfire again… Go ahead tell me im wrong about the strength of the national quality of this tournament? Put your money where your mouth is 😉
One thing that I've noticed in my 40+ years in the sport is that guys who have actually accomplished significant things hardly ever talk about their credentials because they don't have to. Most tend to be humble and are quick to support kids putting in the effort to try to be the best they can be. To sit behind your keyboard and rag on kids because of lack of a ranking is just lame. If your point is that the NHSCA isn't equal to Super 32, Ironman, Fargo - many would agree with you. But who cares? The NHSCA may not be the best or toughest tournament in the world, but the it's the best folkstyle tournament in the country going on at this time of year. Isn't it through performing well in tournaments like the NHSCA puts kids on the radar of the rankings in the first place?

Last edited:

Whatever contributions you may of once made to the sport are now reduced to you making negative comments on a high school wrestling message board. All from the the comfort of your LazyBoy chair.

Whatever contributions you may of once made to the sport are now reduced to you making negative comments on a high school wrestling message board. All from the the comfort of your LazyBoy chair.
LOL....All tulips and teddy bears? It's NOT ok, just terrible to question the talent at a supposed "National" level tournament....?

I seriously doubt that anyone who has a deep knowledge and appreciation for wrestling, and was in attendance, is complaining about who's wasn’t there. I saw incredible competition from kids from all over the country, and to place top 8 was a very tall order. Regardless of its competitive assessment from those not in attendance, I loved the battling going on, and these kids certainty showed up to win. For all the kids who competed and are reading this post, congratulations for striving to be better. Yes, you should listen to and respect adults, generally. But, I hope you don’t take anything from these posts seriously … just a bunch of tired, broken-down, angry old men who just love to find fault in everything. Choose to be better!

I seriously doubt that anyone who has a deep knowledge and appreciation for wrestling, and was in attendance, is complaining about who's wasn’t there. I saw incredible competition from kids from all over the country, and to place top 8 was a very tall order. Regardless of its competitive assessment from those not in attendance, I loved the battling going on, and these kids certainty showed up to win. For all the kids who competed and are reading this post, congratulations for striving to be better. Yes, you should listen to and respect adults, generally. But, I hope you don’t take anything from these posts seriously … just a bunch of tired, broken-down, angry old men who just love to find fault in everything. Choose to be better!
Amen Brother!

I’d say Freshmen and Sophomore had plenty of competition…in all divisions, Saw lots of state champs, fargo champs, lose, many not make the podium…

Im not too privy with the national scene of the freshman and sophomores (Which had a large St. Ed contingent) but I have a few takeaways:

Looks like T. Miller and Thomas from LaSalle will be the #1 and #2 guys the next 2 years at the 160/170 pound weight class. Thomas getting the better in this new rivalry thus far. No clue who Harvey Ludington IV is who pinned J. Miller in the finals, (Was also winning 6-2) he's from NJ and i'm sure will be a highly ranked kid these next 2 seasons. Miller was wrestling up 7 pounds from 2 weeks ago as well. I think he's back at 175 next season.

Sanderfer and Brown bros great tourneys finishing 3rd. Again i'm sure the guys they lost too were no slouches and Kade Brown getting payback from his QF loss.

Peterson- Stock up. I think wrestling at a bigger weight helps him, but where does he fit in next year???

Would have liked to see O'Brien fare better. Not sure how much weight he was cutting this year but I know Bennett will be moving up and so will Eaton. Does Driscoll or an Eagle backup give O'Brien a challenge next year if he goes 150?

Butler not placing at 126 was also a bummer and bit of a head scratcher. He definitely struggled mightily the last half of the season. He's tall so he will be moving up to i'd assume 126, I think he needs to put more muscle on and work on his positioning from bottom.

Overall a solid tournament for the Eagles. Would have liked to see Timar go. and if he did if he stayed at 106 or bumped to 113 with Brown? Also curious if the football guys (Slaper, Waugh, Gregory) wrestle at any tournaments this off-season or if football takes precedence from now until November.

Im not too privy with the national scene of the freshman and sophomores (Which had a large St. Ed contingent) but I have a few takeaways:

Looks like T. Miller and Thomas from LaSalle will be the #1 and #2 guys the next 2 years at the 160/170 pound weight class. Thomas getting the better in this new rivalry thus far. No clue who Harvey Ludington IV is who pinned J. Miller in the finals, (Was also winning 6-2) he's from NJ and i'm sure will be a highly ranked kid these next 2 seasons. Miller was wrestling up 7 pounds from 2 weeks ago as well. I think he's back at 175 next season.

Sanderfer and Brown bros great tourneys finishing 3rd. Again i'm sure the guys they lost too were no slouches and Kade Brown getting payback from his QF loss.

Peterson- Stock up. I think wrestling at a bigger weight helps him, but where does he fit in next year???

Would have liked to see O'Brien fare better. Not sure how much weight he was cutting this year but I know Bennett will be moving up and so will Eaton. Does Driscoll or an Eagle backup give O'Brien a challenge next year if he goes 150?

Butler not placing at 126 was also a bummer and bit of a head scratcher. He definitely struggled mightily the last half of the season. He's tall so he will be moving up to i'd assume 126, I think he needs to put more muscle on and work on his positioning from bottom.

Overall a solid tournament for the Eagles. Would have liked to see Timar go. and if he did if he stayed at 106 or bumped to 113 with Brown? Also curious if the football guys (Slaper, Waugh, Gregory) wrestle at any tournaments this off-season or if football takes precedence from now until November.
Agreed Ty Miller and Thomas is going to be a great rivalry and I think it will be a back and fourth battle. I have seen Ludington wrestle before and that kid is a monster. JR miller was just out matched but seemingly gave up at the end it looked like. Kade Brown and even Carson are so fun to watch given how much they scramble and how good they are at it. Peterson had a good weekend there wasn’t much he could against the kid he had in the finals but it will be difficult seeing where he fits in the line up next year but things can change. Butler had another tuff weekend but had close losses to 2nd and 7th place finishers and beat the kid who took 8th. I think he is just in a bit of a slump and given the Ed’s environment he will come around again. Overall it was a good weekend of competition for the eagles.

LOL....All tulips and teddy bears? It's NOT ok, just terrible to question the talent at a supposed "National" level tournament....?
My friend, you are free to have your opinion, no matter how silly. It's just a spring time HS wrestling tournament. Nothing to get too upset about. You say the tournament was filled with "FISH" which is flat out wrong. Were all of the top ranked kids in the country there, definitely not. But according to Flo, there were 280 nationally ranked & honorable mention wrestlers that competed across the 4 divisions. Every single bracket featured multiple state champs and state placers. Many of them did not place. Those who hit the podium are quality kids. Those who just missed the podium are quality kids. If you polled all the wrestlers, coaches and families who attended, I would bet most would say it was a great experience. If you polled college coaches from all levels that were there, I bet they would say the same.

In the past you've also complained about Fargo and Ironman not being what they once were. If the depth and quality of these marquee events consistently don't live up to your expectations, let me suggest that maybe following high school wrestling as a hobby just isn't for you. And that's OK, I hope you find something else that makes you happier. You deserve happiness.

Last edited:
So 1 in 1 weight class ? This somehow validates the tournaments. "depth" of talent lol
No Chief ,You are cherry picking one part of a statement, That along with number of state champs that were there, The number of placers there.. This was not an easy tournament full of fish… Is it Fargo, No.. Is it S32, ironman etc no, Is the winner the “national champ of champs?No”… Still a really tough tournament,Outside of Fargo one of the tougher tournaments of the post/off season, Saw some of the best young kids from our state lose.. So yea it’s tough.. …..Let me guess back in your day All 42 state champs wrestled at the same time and the winner got a fresh baked pie from the tournament directors wife and you knew you were the national champ. All double legs and half’s none of that fancy stuff those boys think is cute these days..

My friend, you are free to have your opinion, no matter how silly. It's just a spring time HS wrestling tournament. Nothing to get too upset about. You say the tournament was filled with "FISH" which is flat out wrong. Were all of the top ranked kids in the country there, definitely not. But according to Flo, there were 280 nationally ranked & honorable mention wrestlers that competed across the 4 divisions. Every single bracket featured multiple state champs and state placers. Many of them did not place. Those who hit the podium are quality kids. Those who just missed the podium are quality kids. If you polled all the wrestlers, coaches and families who attended, I would bet most would say it was a great experience. If you polled college coaches from all levels that were there, I bet they would say the same.

In the past you've also complained about Fargo and Ironman not being what they once were. If the depth and quality of these marquee events consistently don't live up to your expectations, let me suggest that maybe following high school wrestling as a hobby just isn't for you. And that's OK, I hope you find something else that makes you happier. You deserve happiness.
You telling me my "opinion is silly" is like getting a badge of honor lol. There are several others who reverberate my comments on the lack of depth and talent in Wrestling in Ohio...ALL who ALSO know more than you, some that have said that exact same thing on this forum, so I'm the one in valid company ;) There was exactly 1 top 5 wrestler in the entire freshman /sophomore divisions, and he was #3 at 106 and Pinned or tech falled his way through the entire tournament. There were two wrestlers in the ENTIRE junior/senior div. ranked in the top 5 ....In all 4 divisions there were ONLY 14 wrestles ranked in the top 10 nationally. MORE telling is I've never seen in my life so many Falls and Tech falls in the first period, and many through the quarter finals.....a sure sign, considering the already lack of nationally ranked wrestlers entered, of a ton of mediocrity in this tournament. Senior 170 #8 Queen/NJ Tech called or majored his way through the tournament. Schunke Junior 285 #3 ranking...tech failed ..majored or pinned his way through the tournament. I could name several more of the FEW Top 10 guys that were present. ( 14 TOTAL) Your ship is sinking, which is no surprise ;)

No Chief ,You are cherry picking one part of a statement, That along with number of state champs that were there, The number of placers there.. This was not an easy tournament full of fish… Is it Fargo, No.. Is it S32, ironman etc no, Is the winner the “national champ of champs?No”… Still a really tough tournament,Outside of Fargo one of the tougher tournaments of the post/off season, Saw some of the best young kids from our state lose.. So yea it’s tough.. …..Let me guess back in your day All 42 state champs wrestled at the same time and the winner got a fresh baked pie from the tournament directors wife and you knew you were the national champ. All double legs and half’s none of that fancy stuff those boys think is cute these days..
1680022663599.png

You telling me my "opinion is silly" is like getting a badge of honor lol. There are several others who reverberate my comments on the lack of depth and talent in Wrestling in Ohio...ALL who ALSO know more than you, some that have said that exact same thing on this forum, so I'm the one in valid company ;) There was exactly 1 top 5 wrestler in the entire freshman /sophomore divisions, and he was #3 at 106 and Pinned or tech falled his way through the entire tournament. There were two wrestlers in the ENTIRE junior/senior div. ranked in the top 5 ....In all 4 divisions there were ONLY 14 wrestles ranked in the top 10 nationally. MORE telling is I've never seen in my life so many Falls and Tech falls in the first period, and many through the quarter finals.....a sure sign, considering the already lack of nationally ranked wrestlers entered, of a ton of mediocrity in this tournament. Senior 170 #8 Queen/NJ Tech called or majored his way through the tournament. Schunke Junior 285 #3 ranking...tech failed ..majored or pinned his way through the tournament. I could name several more of the FEW Top 10 guys that were present. ( 14 TOTAL) Your ship is sinking, which is no surprise ;)

Please correct me if I am misunderstanding or misrepresenting your point. You are saying that kids who are ranked top 10 in the nation are very good, and kids that are not ranked top 10 in the nation are fish or at best mediocre? If I have that right, that's a ridiculous point of view.

Furthermore, you - who is no longer involved in coaching- are so disgusted with the mediocrity of this tournament that you've spent a week ranting about it on a message board and dug deeply into the brackets just to prove to a guy that you've never met that you know more than him. Ok Boomer!

Last edited: