Springfield Wrestling 2014/2015

chinwhip

This thread prolly wont get much action because the Springfield Spartan link on yappi is pretty much dead, but here it is.

I think it would be good for the community to get on here and voice opinions and come up with solutions not anonymously though.

We had a pretty good hire to the coaching staff in Doug Jones. Just had a great conversation in Greensboro nc over the weekend with a coaching legend that is seriously considering coming in and coaching next year along side Jones. But as far as this year, we have the toughest league, the weakest sectional and the toughest district in Division 2.

The PTC is really tough in wrestling. It's a wonder how they don't consistently produce better football programs. I don't think Rootstown won a single football game, but you can be assured they're the real deal at wrestling. Coventry, Crestwood and Norton have some real hammers, and Ravenna has some strengths in their lineup too. I'm not sure Springfield can win against any of these teams. Time will tell. Kent and Field should be beatable, but everyone has to decide to show up and wrestle.

The Spartans were pretty young last year. Sounds like a couple of past wrestlers are coming back and it's yet to be determined if they will make and impact. Only 2 seniors graduated off the team last year and hopefully the 2 new guys will fill the gap they left.

Looking at the lineup, Springfield should be as good or better than last year, just based on the fact that they're all 1 year more experienced against the competition, which is usually heavier on upperclassmen than we are.

9 of our 10 wrestlers qualified for Districts last year, but Coventry had a lot of kids that weren't able to wrestle at Sectionals due to the "hazing" incident the week before. They were the favorite to win the sectional. I doubt we'll get that gimme two years in a row.

I think the total # of kids in the room will be up, and Coach Jones is the kind of guy kids want to perform for. I see good things as the season progresses..

A top level football player should wrestle, however an elite level wrestler has no business playing football. Thats why you will never see a mackall, carson, skonezni or zemitis playing football. Its to much work and time perfecting your craft and the risk outweighs the reward. That is why the ptc isn't as successful at football as it is in wrestling.

Imagine if your o-line and d-line all wrestled....that would be a coaches dream. I would love to see the future legit running backs put a 4x1 or 4x2 indoor and outdoor track team together and just run the tables in the ptc. We have fast enough kids that can do it. Or even the receivers....

The PTC is really tough in wrestling. It's a wonder how they don't consistently produce better football programs. I don't think Rootstown won a single football game, but you can be assured they're the real deal at wrestling.

Rootstown won one less game than your mighty Spartans.

Aaron Adkins would probably disagree with you on that point. Sean Rutherford, Zach Lake and Cory Simpson too..

Those kids are all tremendous athletes. I would only tag one of them with an elite wrestler badge. Please spare me with records and accomplishments (well aware). Truth is to be elite, you cant do both. Btw, the one kid on your list that most would consider the exception, was in a wrestling gym during football season illegally.

Everybody on here was an exceptional athlete and top notch footballer. None of them went on to team usa or the Olympics and pursued a career in wrestling because they weren't elite. I can argue this all day.the facts are the facts

You can argue all day but this is still just an OPINION

You can't possibly know the reasons they didn't pursue a career in wrestling.

Maybe they loved football more? Or wanted to get paid well? Or didn't like wrestling anymore.

I understand your frustration. Finishing with 2,3 or 4 wins every year, year in and year out, must really suck. I would be happy for wrestling season to start too.

No, they are more than happy to lose 6-8 games a year and call it the kids fault.

This was the SEVENTH year for the HC and this year's 4-6 record was his SECOND best season ever.

With pretty good kids too.
Administration in Springfield is horrible. No expectation of working hard or winning. Every year the same bum administrators and coaches and school board sons doing NOTHING.
But they get paid.

No, they are more than happy to lose 6-8 games a year and call it the kids fault.

This was the SEVENTH year for the HC and this year's 4-6 record was his SECOND best season ever.

With pretty good kids too.
Administration in Springfield is horrible. No expectation of working hard or winning. Every year the same bum administrators and coaches and school board sons doing NOTHING.
But they get paid.
If you want to cry about Springfields admin, coaches and their choices, please start your own thread. This is about Springfield wrestling in 2014.

Everybody on here was an exceptional athlete and top notch footballer. None of them went on to team usa or the Olympics and pursued a career in wrestling because they weren't elite. I can argue this all day.the facts are the facts
I get it, you are trying to make a point that wrestling is a different beast than all the rest of the sports. I don't know as much about wrestling as I do football but when I think about elite wrestlers the first 2 names come to mind are Dan Gable (USA Olympic gold winner) and Kurt Angle (USA Olympic gold winner) arguably two of the best ever, uh, both played High School football. Many of the names on the list I posted had NCAA Championships, I think I would call that elite and without putting words in their mouths I am sure some could have went to the Olympics, they just chose football. I don't want to make any wrestling people mad but it's just another sport that many athletes enjoy. You can take techniques from football and cross them to wrestling, and wrestling to football. But to say you cant play football and be an elite wrestler just isn't a fact. If you want to continue this make a new thread so people can talk about Springfield wrestling. :grouphug:

I disagree rage...an elite Wrastler is a full time job. Unless you are gifted like the guys you mentioned. I think a STV wrastle coach comes to mind as well.

He was never elite, according to Chinwhips scale. I'd say nobody in the PTC is elite then, so they should all play Football. Problem solved.

Sorry for the delay, had to take a couple days to try and get my kid better. "Back in the day" playing a bunch of sports was the norm. Today however, it is almost impossible to become an elite wrestler and play football. To many year round dedicated wrestlers that are also working on strength and agility in june, july while still wrestling. We are in a different time now fellas. I challenge you to find me an elite wrestler (state champ, super 32 champ runner up, fargo champ runner up, journeymen champ runner up, ironman champ runner up) 152 or under. If you find one, I'll humbly accept defeat and slither back into the darkness from which I came. Hint LFD there aren't any in the ptc (raise your bar).

I disagree rage...an elite Wrastler is a full time job. Unless you are gifted like the guys you mentioned. I think a STV wrastle coach comes to mind as well.

The polster is correct. I see that st v coach everyday and he'll be the 1st to tell you ("I was a man amongst boys"). If he'd have been a 145 lb, he would prolly be coaching football right now because his wrestling career would have been way different.

152 or under? Now you're putting silly guidelines on a broad based statement. I'm done. It can, has and will be done again. If we decide to steer this thread back to SHS 14-15, I'll rejoin the discussion. Go Spartans.

152 or under? Now you're putting silly guidelines on a broad based statement. I'm done. It can, has and will be done again. If we decide to steer this thread back to SHS 14-15, I'll rejoin the discussion. Go Spartans.

I think I speak for the masses when I say "yappi is a better place when lfd is reading posts instead of commenting on them". You're welcome yappi.:party:

Also Springfield is hosting the jr high league championship this year as well as a dual tournament for the jr high. Hopefully this will drum up some more interest.

Last edited: