Springboro seeks 7th Coach in 10 years

If he was a better coach than cupps he would have went 3-0 against them. I said he was able to put in a game plan that kept them competitive with Centerville.
The initial quote does insinuate Molz is the better coach which is why Fairmont is able to play close with a more talented Centerville team.

You have no clue man. Northmont was 4-10 in the GWOC were 3 teams that year won districts. Beavercreek was in districts losing to fairmont. Arguably the toughest conference in that state that year.
What do you possibly know about the other leagues in the state?

Explain how fairmont kept up with centerville in two games this season. There is a pretty good gap in talent level top to bottoms between those two teams. Coaching had nothing to do with it? And I am not a huge molz fan.
It’s called a rivalry. In a rivalry players play their tail off. The Centerville/ Fairmont games have been tough for years. How do you account for Carroll laying Alter so well?

The initial quote does insinuate Molz is the better coach which is why Fairmont is able to play close with a more talented Centerville team.
The original quote was a reply to all D1 coaches rely on their talent and go as far as it takes them. The molz example showed D1 coaches can get more out of less talented teams.

It’s called a rivalry. In a rivalry players play their tail off. The Centerville/ Fairmont games have been tough for years. How do you account for Carroll laying Alter so well?
You might want to go look at those scores over the past 10 years or so. I would guess centerville has won 95% of the games by an average of 12-15 points. Yeah it’s a rivalry but very one sided.

The original quote was a reply to all D1 coaches rely on their talent and go as far as it takes them. The molz example showed D1 coaches can get more out of less talented teams.
Would agree that he gets more out of his teams compared to other coaches. Maybe he is closer to Cupps in terms of coaching ability than many believe if you look at there scores over the last few years especially considering the tournament game a couple years ago when Centerville was lucky to beat Fairmont.

Bales is Coach of the Year

A nice honor and he has done a great job this year, but anyone that follows HS sports knows media polls and district teams are worthless. This is one area where coaches and parents equally post on social media complaining about the selections not being fair

Bales is Coach of the Year

Should have gotten it in the GWOC as well.

Couldn't disagree more with this, respectfully
Let me clarify my comment. My post was in the midst of postseason. In my opinion, most coaches in D1 will only go as far as their talent will take them in the postseason no matter how great of a coach they are. They can certainly keeps things close and win some games they shouldn't during the regular season, but in the tournament the more talented and well coached team wins.

For example, Mike Price at Oak Hills has only more than 2 games in the tournament once in the last 20 years. They have been one and done 9 times. Yes, he is great coach, but his teams always lose to the team with better talent in the tournament.

As for Clint Adkins, his teams have done better than Oak Hills in the tournament (more than 2 wins 3 times in his 9 years), but the talent he has had was also much better.

Most on this forum would consider Greg Richards to be one of the best coaches in the last 20 years, but his Mason teams only one more than 2 games twice during the last 15 years of his career.

Molz at Fairmont is the closest thing to an exception, he won more than 2 games in the tournament twice during his 5 years, but the losses (Centerville) had a lot more talent.

Great coaches can scheme (scouting, slowing the game down, playing junk defenses, etc...) against a team that has one or two players better than anyone on their team, but it becomes much more difficult when the other team is more talented as a whole. Carl Kremer is considered a great coach, but he has also had an insane amount of talent come through doors at Moeller. Would he have been able to take Oak Hills further in the tournament than Price during that 20 year span? Bottom line, great coaches can get you to a district final in the southwest district on occasion, but that is about it when it goes in D1.

Let me clarify my comment. My post was in the midst of postseason. In my opinion, most coaches in D1 will only go as far as their talent will take them in the postseason no matter how great of a coach they are. They can certainly keeps things close and win some games they shouldn't during the regular season, but in the tournament the more talented and well coached team wins.

For example, Mike Price at Oak Hills has only more than 2 games in the tournament once in the last 20 years. They have been one and done 9 times. Yes, he is great coach, but his teams always lose to the team with better talent in the tournament.

As for Clint Adkins, his teams have done better than Oak Hills in the tournament (more than 2 wins 3 times in his 9 years), but the talent he has had was also much better.

Most on this forum would consider Greg Richards to be one of the best coaches in the last 20 years, but his Mason teams only one more than 2 games twice during the last 15 years of his career.

Molz at Fairmont is the closest thing to an exception, he won more than 2 games in the tournament twice during his 5 years, but the losses (Centerville) had a lot more talent.

Great coaches can scheme (scouting, slowing the game down, playing junk defenses, etc...) against a team that has one or two players better than anyone on their team, but it becomes much more difficult when the other team is more talented as a whole. Carl Kremer is considered a great coach, but he has also had an insane amount of talent come through doors at Moeller. Would he have been able to take Oak Hills further in the tournament than Price during that 20 year span? Bottom line, great coaches can get you to a district final in the southwest district on occasion, but that is about it when it goes in D1.
Makes more sense with that tournament context.

Pretty sure this applies to any division. Talent typically trumps coaching especially talent with height