Springboro Lacrosse - D1 2014

DrC51Si

It's been announced that Springboro is dropping from Club and joining Division1 Spring 2014.

Springboro Boys HS Lax moved to Div 1!
Springboro Lacrosse is proud to announce that the High School Boys lacrosse team will be entering the 2014 season as a Division 1 program. After 7 successful seasons of building a top regional program in the Club Division, our boys will compete against the best in Ohio this coming spring. Recent final four and state championship appearances have solidified our presence and accomplishments among the state's best. This is the next step in the progression of growth as Springboro Lacrosse continues to develop. We congratulate the boys on all their past achievements and look forward to continued advancement and a spectacular spring season in 2014!
Posted: August 31, 2013 3:01:57 PM
by: Joe Froehlich

Hey there are more changes than just Springboro next year.

Division changes because of enrollment:
New Albany & Perrysburg from DII to DI
Anthony Wayne, Sylvania Southview & Westlake from DI to DII

New teams:
DI - Olentangy Orange & Solon
DII - Lutheran West & Roosevelt (Miami Valley was trying to start a DII program but will not have a team next year)

Club Teams to Division play:
Avon Lake, Big Walnut, Delaware Hayes, Marysville, & Milford from Club to DII
Fairfield & Springboro from Club to DI

No question its the fastest growing sport. Next year there will be 53 DI teams, 55 DII teams & 20 Club teams.

Just saw that there are 2 additional new teams for next year. In D2 Akron St Vincent-St Mary High School will field a team and in the Club Division Butler County Lacrosse Club becomes the 21st club team. D1 still has 53 teams but D2 now has 56. That means for the 2014 season 6 new teams will begin play. Impressive growth.

Who are the Butler County Lacrosse club?

I don't know, but I suspect that they are the remnants of the Fairfield Lacrosse Club Team. With Fairfield moving to D1 this year players outside the school district are left without a team to play for. My guess is the Butler County Lacrosse Club has or is coming into existence to fill that need. Presumably there is sufficient interest in the area. Recently the growth in lacrosse teams has been predominantly in the southwest and northeast.

Interesting reorganization of D1 & D2. Each division is now set up with 8 Districts. Presumably the playoff bracket will now work through the district to regional to state. Looking at the groupings UA, Kilbourne & Thomas are all in the same district. Jerome is in a different district but may be in the same regional. Anyway this should open the state semi-finals and finals to some other teams from around the state. The district groupings are at http://www.ohsla.org/?page=teams

Interesting reorganization of D1 & D2. Each division is now set up with 8 Districts. Presumably the playoff bracket will now work through the district to regional to state. Looking at the groupings UA, Kilbourne & Thomas are all in the same district. Jerome is in a different district but may be in the same regional. Anyway this should open the state semi-finals and finals to some other teams from around the state. The district groupings are at http://www.ohsla.org/?page=teams

No doubt that the rest of the state is trying to stack the brackets so UA has a tougher road to the title, but it simply means that UA will shatter Kilbourne's & Jerome's hopes earlier in the tournament than in the past.

I'm still trying to figure out how/why Delaware Hayes landed in D2. How does a school with more boys than several of the Central Ohio D1 teams get placed in D2 after winning back to back club championships?

Butler County Lacrosse

I don't know, but I suspect that they are the remnants of the Fairfield Lacrosse Club Team. With Fairfield moving to D1 this year players outside the school district are left without a team to play for. My guess is the Butler County Lacrosse Club has or is coming into existence to fill that need. Presumably there is sufficient interest in the area. Recently the growth in lacrosse teams has been predominantly in the southwest and northeast.

Butler County Lacrosse is made up of players who attend schools that do not offer lacrosse. Eleven of the players did participate for Fairfield the past two years but due to the switch to D1 did not have a home. Badin and Edgewood provide the bulk of the players. The goal is to create programs for both schools from this team.