Sports Talk Radio - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

Not sure if anyone listens to Fox Sports Radio, but I've stumbled into a really good morning host on there, Clay Travis. He's on from like 6AM-9AM.

ESPN radio continues to be nearly un-listenening, other than Stephen A. CBS sports radio is really good. Tiki & Tierney is great. Not on radio, but TV is Speak for Yourself with Jason Whitlock. The program itself can get a little long and boring with some of the topics, but Whitlock is easily one of the best to listen to. He holds nothing back. He was quieted by ESPN and eventually left because they just don't like to be critical of athletes when they need to be. Fox and CBS seem to have taken the ball and run with it.

Not sure if anyone listens to Fox Sports Radio, but I've stumbled into a really good morning host on there, Clay Travis. He's on from like 6AM-9AM.

ESPN radio continues to be nearly un-listenening, other than Stephen A. CBS sports radio is really good. Tiki & Tierney is great. Not on radio, but TV is Speak for Yourself with Jason Whitlock. The program itself can get a little long and boring with some of the topics, but Whitlock is easily one of the best to listen to. He holds nothing back. He was quieted by ESPN and eventually left because they just don't like to be critical of athletes when they need to be. Fox and CBS seem to have taken the ball and run with it.

I agree with you that Travis is good. I listen to him most mornings. However, I don't agree with you on Stephen A. and Whitlock. I think they are both clowns. I used to like Cowherd but even he is turning into a turd.

Travis is okay when he's not arrogantly bloviating or using the "I was a lawyer" thing to misstate the law. Steven A is a clown. Cowherd has turned into Skip Bayless Jr. Whitlock can be a fool, buy he at least has conviction.

I scan the dial again and again for someone decent and come up empty most of the time. I wish someone local carried Rich Eisen. I like him and Dan Patrick. Doug Gotleib is okay in small doses.

Travis is okay when he's not arrogantly bloviating or using the "I was a lawyer" thing to misstate the law. Steven A is a clown. Cowherd has turned into Skip Bayless Jr. Whitlock can be a fool, buy he at least has conviction.

I scan the dial again and again for someone decent and come up empty most of the time. I wish someone local carried Rich Eisen. I like him and Dan Patrick. Doug Gotleib is okay in small doses.

Out of everyone you mentioned, I enjoy listening to Dan Patrick the most. He is, by far, the best interviewer out there. Of course, that takes research - and knowing WHAT to research - and it's becoming a lost art. Why do homework, and I don't mean reading from a stat sheet, when all you need to do is bellow, insult, and make vapid attempts at being "edgy?" I miss local stations carrying Tony Kornheiser, though I've heard he's kind of mailing it in these days. I feel your pain trying to find something listenable locally or nationally.

Travis blatantly makes things up. Then pretends to have inside info because he used to be a lawyer. Ok pal.

Only thing worse might be the racist/sexist Tierney who likes to believe his 'career' as a former minor league baseball player was a bigger deal than his co-hosts NFL career.

The two should have a giant ego suck off and then do a show examining who 'finished the job' better.

Travis blatantly makes things up. Then pretends to have inside info because he used to be a lawyer. Ok pal.

Only thing worse might be the racist/sexist Tierney who likes to believe his 'career' as a former minor league baseball player was a bigger deal than his co-hosts NFL career.

The two should have a giant ego suck off and then do a show examining who 'finished the job' better.
To each their own, I just like the two. Granted I've only heard Travis for about a week or so. I like Tierney, he and Tiki really make it work. But don't most sports talk host HAVE to have an ego? I find Dan Patrick very annoying. He talks over everyone, doesn't take much seriously. He and Olberman was awful on ESPN. I can't stand listening to Olberman for more than 10 seconds.

So what do you think of Jim Rome?

I loved it when "Chris" Everett beat his arse. He was one of the originals to poison the well. He understood he could bring the shock jock mantra to the sports world and stick out and make money.

I still wonder if that wasn't set up.

I'm convinced it wasn't. You don't set yourself up to become a punchline. I think Rome was trying to boost his image for his fledgling show and picked the wrong guy. Seriously, who would have ever thought that Everett would react like he did? Rome seriously thought his national career was over. He owns the moment now, though he admits it's always going to be the low point in his career.

I'm convinced it wasn't. You don't set yourself up to become a punchline. I think Rome was trying to boost his image for his fledgling show and picked the wrong guy. Seriously, who would have ever thought that Everett would react like he did? Rome seriously thought his national career was over. He owns the moment now, though he admits it's always going to be the low point in his career.

In the end, it got him attention which is really what most of those guys are shooting for.

In the end, it got him attention which is really what most of those guys are shooting for.

Not that kind of attention. His show left the air not soon after that, and he had to re-invent himself. That's where I give him credit. He grew back his brand to where about 7-8 years ago, he was everywhere and he signed some lucrative contracts. As someone mentioned, he's not nearly as relevant these days, but he's having fun banking CBS' money.

Not that kind of attention. His show left the air not soon after that, and he had to re-invent himself. That's where I give him credit. He grew back his brand to where about 7-8 years ago, he was everywhere and he signed some lucrative contracts. As someone mentioned, he's not nearly as relevant these days, but he's having fun banking CBS' money.

It's been a long time since that went down, but I'm not sure I knew much of him before it happened. It may just be my old brain getting things out of order. I know he regrets it now.

Oh, and for pure entertainment value, Stephen A. Smith is great!! He's easily the best on ESPN, but that's not saying much.

It's been a long time since that went down, but I'm not sure I knew much of him before it happened. It may just be my old brain getting things out of order. I know he regrets it now.
I'm surprised Rome has lasted this long. He has a specific fan base, the "clones". Like anything else, it's just tough to find much outside of the ESPN Radio offereings. CBS/ FOX are hard to find. We've got 3-4 sports stations in the area and all are ESPN affiliates, One played Dan Patrick now but he's a tough listen. Have to stream Cowherd and Gotleib.

Oh, and for pure entertainment value, Stephen A. Smith is great!! He's easily the best on ESPN, but that's not saying much.

The NY Post is reporting that Stephen A will leave the radio next year as part of a new deal with ESPN. Expect him more on the TV side and on ESPN+.

I'm surprised Rome has lasted this long. He has a specific fan base, the "clones". Like anything else, it's just tough to find much outside of the ESPN Radio offereings. CBS/ FOX are hard to find. We've got 3-4 sports stations in the area and all are ESPN affiliates, One played Dan Patrick now but he's a tough listen. Have to stream Cowherd and Gotleib.

Just curious. Everyone has their own tastes. Why do you find Patrick "tough" to listen to?

The NY Post is reporting that Stephen A will leave the radio next year as part of a new deal with ESPN. Expect him more on the TV side and on ESPN+.
That doesn't surprise me, I think Smith likes radio but LOVES TV. It can't be easy doing radio every day, especially the quiet days where you have to make up content. But he's very entertaining and I think he can kind of let it all go on radio. He reminds me of George Jefferson on the 70's sitcom The Jeffersons.

Just curious. Everyone has their own tastes. Why do you find Patrick "tough" to listen to?
I liked Patrick on TV with ESPN initially, but he was coupled with Olberman, who's simply awful, and it seemed to me they tried to one-up each other during broadcasts instead of just reporting the sports.
Then, in just listening to a little bit of him on the radio, and I realize all these guys have to have egos, but Patrick really talks down to his audience. I know he played some basketball in his day, but he just has such a smug, better than you personality and it drives me nuts. I simply will not listen to him unless he has a GREAT guest on.

I'll take Patrick and Eisen all day. I wish my local Fox Sports station manager would dump Cowherd for Eisen.
Can't do Eisen either. Cowherd's kind of smug and has his favorites, but he's pretty entertaining. Rich Eisen is just incredibly boring to me.

Can't do Eisen either. Cowherd's kind of smug and has his favorites, but he's pretty entertaining. Rich Eisen is just incredibly boring to me.

Again, it's a matter of taste. Cowherd uses stats a lot to justify his takes, and that drives me nuts. It just tells me that his general knowledge on the subject is lacking; that he can't translate what he watches to make his point. He leans on stats. That's lame. Eisen brings some humor to the discussion. He doesn't take himself so deadly serious, which is refreshing. He hasn't become "the show." He's a poor man's Tony Kornheiser in my book. Cowherd is going the way of Bayless and Smith, and that is unlistenable to me.

Again, it's a matter of taste. Cowherd uses stats a lot to justify his takes, and that drives me nuts. It just tells me that his general knowledge on the subject is lacking; that he can't translate what he watches to make his point. He leans on stats. That's lame. Eisen brings some humor to the discussion. He doesn't take himself so deadly serious, which is refreshing. He hasn't become "the show." He's a poor man's Tony Kornheiser in my book. Cowherd is going the way of Bayless and Smith, and that is unlistenable to me.
Yes it is, I guess that's why there are so many "flavors" out there. I just never connected with Eisen. Even as a host on ESPN, he's just very bland. I guess the only thing I know him for is the 40 yard dash in a suit and sneaks.
I like Kornheiser on PTI, he and Wilbon are the grumpy old men in the room. It works for them because they talk for about 30 seconds on a ton of topics and never really dive into much deeply.

Honestly though, must listen is the first 15 minutes of Stephen A's show if he's jacked up about something. It's George Jefferson on sterioids!!

Cowherd must have someone feeding him stats or a monitor with all that stuff, because no human can regurgitate the numbers of stats he says. Cowherd is a big "individual" player guy, which fits today's audience. He NEVER talks about baseball, which again fits today as well. He could do shows exclusively on the NBA and NFL, he doesn't talk about much else, not matter what time of year it is. Rarely a show goes by where LeBron, KD, Zion, Kawhi, Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Tom Brady isn't mentioned.

Now one show that is absolutely horrible is Dan Lebatard. I've never liked that show, Stu Gotz is bad, the whole show is based on goofiness and political correctness. Of course Dan can be rude and politically incorrect, but of anyone else does it, he's waving the PC flag. Even the act with his Dad is old and tired.

To each their own, I just like the two. Granted I've only heard Travis for about a week or so. I like Tierney, he and Tiki really make it work. But don't most sports talk host HAVE to have an ego? I find Dan Patrick very annoying. He talks over everyone, doesn't take much seriously. He and Olberman was awful on ESPN. I can't stand listening to Olberman for more than 10 seconds.

So what do you think of Jim Rome?

I imagine if you just switch around the names, Rome's show was the same 20 years ago. Made his name with the Jim Everett interview. Has nothing but a bunch of failed TV ventures since.

I'll give him this though, he's the guy that all these newere guys rip off. From bayless, to Cowherd to whomever is on now.

And he owes a debt to the true godfather of the format like Pete Franklin.

I prefer pods with experts on topics as opposed to guys on TV that think they are experts on everything.

Shorter. More to the point. Far less nonsense. Can listen anytime and anywhere. Also free.

Yes it is, I guess that's why there are so many "flavors" out there. I just never connected with Eisen. Even as a host on ESPN, he's just very bland. I guess the only thing I know him for is the 40 yard dash in a suit and sneaks.
I like Kornheiser on PTI, he and Wilbon are the grumpy old men in the room. It works for them because they talk for about 30 seconds on a ton of topics and never really dive into much deeply.

Honestly though, must listen is the first 15 minutes of Stephen A's show if he's jacked up about something. It's George Jefferson on sterioids!!

Cowherd must have someone feeding him stats or a monitor with all that stuff, because no human can regurgitate the numbers of stats he says. Cowherd is a big "individual" player guy, which fits today's audience. He NEVER talks about baseball, which again fits today as well. He could do shows exclusively on the NBA and NFL, he doesn't talk about much else, not matter what time of year it is. Rarely a show goes by where LeBron, KD, Zion, Kawhi, Aaron Rodgers, Dak, Tom Brady isn't mentioned.

Which is why I think he's a hack. It's easy. Just talk about the high-profile athlete, take an occasional shot at him if public sentiment pushes him in that direction, and be snarky. His show is better suited for the Lifetime network. And, of course, he's got help with the stats. He's got staff and producers who know what to look for during show prep.

I used to enjoy Cowherd when he was about producing an informative show but at some point he opted to become the show as opposed to being a facilitator of informative discussions. He became more interested in creating a controversial sound bite that brings him attention than being a source worthwhile insight.

I don't mind Doug Gottleib most of the time but he's not on much in my area as the same station that passes in Eisen puts Munch Bishop on from 3 to 6.

Which is why I think he's a hack. It's easy. Just talk about the high-profile athlete, take an occasional shot at him if public sentiment pushes him in that direction, and be snarky. His show is better suited for the Lifetime network. And, of course, he's got help with the stats. He's got staff and producers who know what to look for during show prep.
Let's face it, most of these guys are entertainers, yes they talk sports but we pretty much determine what they talk about. The Lakers and Cowboys are the two biggest brands in team sports, therefore they talk about those teams, good or bad. Until most of the sports public just follows what's good and interesting instead of what's popular, things won't change. These guys are in the RATINGS business, not the sports business.