South Range Coaching Change

Topcat1

Understand South Range Boys’ Basketball Coach John Cullen has stepped down with his assistant / JV coach Will Klucinec taking over. Coach Cullen has coached for a ton of years and excelled in all respects. Was at Canfield for a long time and then at South Range after an interlude in the YSU women’s program.

Good move. Reward your assistants and let fall on their own sword or good luck going forward ?

Cullen had a great record at Canfield for many years & is a good coach. How many District titles, regional titles did canfield win during his time there & did they ever make it to the final four, No disrespect here, just curious to.resolve this issue (bet) with a friend from Canfield.

Cullen had a 472-156 record in his 28 seasons at Canfield. Canfield won 20 sectional titles, 22 league championships and 10 district titles. He was named the Mahoning County Coach of the Year 18 times. I don't recall if we had any regional titles, I would guess maybe one or two if we had any, and they never made the final four. But he made the most of the talent they had, it is kind of like you wouldn't have expected Poland to beat Lebron and SV-SM, there was too much of a talent disparity that no matter how good the coach was Poland was a longshot.

Understand South Range Boys’ Basketball Coach John Cullen has stepped down with his assistant / JV coach Will Klucinec taking over. Coach Cullen has coached for a ton of years and excelled in all respects. Was at Canfield for a long time and then at South Range after an interlude in the YSU women’s program.
Don't know if the South Range school board has officially voted yet to promote Klucinec; however new member toxicbulldog25 posted it here on this forum back on March 20th as if it was a done deal.

If they didn’t make the final gout, they could not have won any regional titles. However, his record was Impressive. How did he do at South Range?

Congratulations to Coach Cullen. Haven't talked with Coach in awhile, but a great guy and sure knows his hoops.

Canfield did not make the State Finals under Coach Cullen. The Cardinals have been to the state tournament four times, all in Class B - 1938, 1940, 1941 and 1953. They were state runner-up in 1940 and 1941

South Range has never made the State Finals. The North Lima Zippers made it in Class B in 1952. The Greenford Bobcats never made it.

State Tournament Participants

Did Cullen win 10 district championships? Is that for sure? Evidence?

Found this article from 2017 - talks about five district championships as a head coach. At Canfield that would be 1990, 1991, 1994, 1995 and 2000 based on a review of the OHSAA website.

The article mentions he was an assistant at Brookfield for four district championships. I don't believe he won any at South Range.

John Cullen link

The Springfield community has been given a major opportunity to carry on their basketball tradition with Brink and Cullen joining our program. I have heard rumors that our AD is making life miserable for them. Sour grapes over the coaching job. If that is true, then the AD needs to go. We could not have hand picked better coaches from anywhere in the state, and I don't think the community will tolerate them being mistreated by our administration.

Kudos to Canfield for naming gym after him because of his great record there. I think Girard should do the same in honoring Coach Bob Krizancic, who won several district Titles & Ohio State Championship from 1980- 1993, He also won a state championship at Mentor HS in 2013.

Brink will look like the hero again with what he has coming back and a weak league. Will be interesting to see how many football players show up once their season is over. They continue to roll.