Sometimes There's More To Life Than Sports...

Yes, nice story. But, it’s not some huge sacrifice to go to Taylor. It’s a fine school. My kids got a superior education in a good culture.

I believe you missed the point. No one was saying Taylor was a huge drop off academically or even just as an experience. I personally think Elder is better, but that wasn't the point. The point was his family has a long Elder history, and he of course had a dream like most legacy kids to follow in their footsteps, but ended up choosing Taylor and making his own path for his own personal reasons.

Yes, nice story. But, it’s not some huge sacrifice to go to Taylor. It’s a fine school. My kids got a superior education in a good culture.
Superior? No, that’s not true. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but look at where Taylor ranks compared to Walnut Hills, Indian Hill, Wyoming,etc. I believe HS is what you make of it, where if you’re an elite student at Taylor, you’d be elite anywhere. However, from a broader perspective, Taylor is good but not superior.

I think it’s a huge sacrifice for a Teenager who has been around and heard about Elder most of his young life. Not many teenagers these days that think of others before themselves.

Superior? No, that’s not true. I’m not trying to be a jerk, but look at where Taylor ranks compared to Walnut Hills, Indian Hill, Wyoming,etc. I believe HS is what you make of it, where if you’re an elite student at Taylor, you’d be elite anywhere. However, from a broader perspective, Taylor is good but not superior.
Read what I wrote slowly. I said MY KIDS GOT A SUPERIOR EDUCATION. I never claimed Taylor was on the level of the schools you listed. Elder isn’t on their level either. Please don’t twist my words.

Read what I wrote slowly. I said MY KIDS GOT A SUPERIOR EDUCATION. I never claimed Taylor was on the level of the schools you listed. Elder isn’t on their level either. Please don’t twist my words.
If Taylor’s not better than those schools, then how did your kids get a superior education? Superior is relative, so what’s the benchmark?

Last edited:
Also, this is an Elder forum, we shouldn’t be pumping up other schools, especially when they’re a competitor for students. I don’t think you guys understand how intense the competition is from every angle. Elder’s not just fighting with X and LS for students, but also Oak Hills, Taylor, and Walnut Hills. There’s more students than ever before coming from public middle schools, so we shouldn’t be promoting them on here.

Also, this is an Elder forum, we shouldn’t be pumping up other schools, especially when they’re a competitor for students. I don’t think you guys understand how intense the competition is from every angle. Elder’s not just fighting with X and LS for students, but also Oak Hills, Taylor, and Walnut Hills. There’s more students than ever before coming from public middle schools, so we shouldn’t be promoting them on here.
This post right here is why everyone thinks you are a total clown! The article is about 2 Taylor students with a strong Family history of Elder Grads??‍♂️

This post right here is why everyone thinks you are a total clown! The article is about 2 Taylor students with a strong Family history of Elder Grads??‍♂️
My critique is mainly aimed YJ, we should not be extolling the virtues of other schools in this forum.

It’s already hard enough for Elder to bring in students, we don’t need to be shilling for a legitimate public school alternative.

Last edited:
It just goers to show that the Elder community is a very broad one. It includes the fathers of grads who did not attend Elder themselves, friends of Elder grads who have become fans and supporters of the school and even those who only attended Elder in spirit as here.

Altiora!

If Taylor’s not better than those schools, then how did your kids get a superior education? Superior is relative, so what’s the benchmark?
You must be really dense. You can get a superior education at Taylor because there are superior teachers and superior classroom environments available to any student that wants them and is willing to work. There are plenty of students there that aren’t willing and that keeps the school from achieving the overall superior rating. If you don’t understand how that is possible it makes me question the quality of your education.

You must be really dense. You can get a superior education at Taylor because there are superior teachers and superior classroom environments available to any student that wants them and is willing to work. There are plenty of students there that aren’t willing and that keeps the school from achieving the overall superior rating. If you don’t understand how that is possible it makes me question the quality of your education.
Superior, by definition, is a relative term. Something cannot be superior without something else being inferior. I’m not sure why that’s hard for you to grasp.

And again, this is a good story, the Austing family doesn’t owe anyone an explanation for their decisions. The only obligation they have is to do what’s in the best interest of their family.

lol. such a good story, can't believe someone can twist it any other way. but i guess the source needs to be considered. this story clearly isn't about what school is attended and stealing athletes. its about family. clearly a person who doesn't like women or want kids wouldn't understand the story. sad

jtk
()

My critique is mainly aimed YJ, we should not be extolling the virtues of other schools in this forum.

It’s already hard enough for Elder to bring in students, we don’t need to be shilling for a legitimate public school alternative.
The article is about 2 Taylor students, 100% ?

This was a great article about obviously a great family and kids, but let’s be honest. Anyone that’s says this is not about sports is kidding themselves. Danny isn’t a 4 yr starter in basketball nobody cares who he is walking down the hall, they really don’t care if he is walking with his brother. I’m sure someone will tell me I’m wrong but if Danny goes to Elder with the kids on that team as a Jr. he is at best a role player and not a starter and this year he may start but wouldn’t be the 1st or second option on offense. He will get some small school looks because he went to Taylor and got a chance to developer skills and showcase himself. This was 100% an article about sports.

I would say he’s up there with the other guards on the team. He plays for a very good and high profile AAU team which none of the other players are on, so I’m not sure what you’re saying is true. Who else on the team is getting anything other than small school looks?

I also think the article was great. I’m sure it wasn’t an easy decision and I’m sure they got pushback from Elder people - good for them for going outside of the box. Easy to root for this kid.

Not disagreeing with anything you are saying. I think Keller is getting a few more looks and a little bigger schools. I think Harp will be option 1 next yr. shoots well and more size, tougher matchup and a big part of why he is on that AAU team is has been a 3 yr starter and the number 1 scoring option for the last 2. Would not have gotten those opportunities or stats at Elder

So it sounds like he made a pretty good decision then.

If elder chooses not to utilize a very good player, then that’s their problem. It’s also dumb. This kid would have absolutely made the team significantly better.

Who said Elder choose not to utilize a very good player. Don’t use what I said to make your argument. This was a unique situation that worked out best for the kid and his family. No one said Elder did anything wrong.

I guess I kind of implied it. But here’s what I meant.

Even though the kid is just as good as some of the current players, he knew there would be less opportunity based on the way Elder operates. Being very familiar with the way things work, he was the smartest guy in the room and picked somewhere where he could contribute right away, and wouldn’t have to deal with the political BS that he knew would ensue with the comparisons to the other kids coming in with him.

And by what you’ve intimated to in your post, he was right. He’s right there with those other guards on the team. No reason for him to play second fiddle if he’s good enough to play.

IEven though the kid is just as good as some of the current players, he knew there would be less opportunity based on the way Elder operates. Being very familiar with the way things work, he was the smartest guy in the room and picked somewhere where he could contribute right away, and wouldn’t have to deal with the political BS that he knew would ensue with the comparisons to the other kids coming in with him.

According to you, the deck is already stacked in favor of legacy kids. You just contradicted yourself. You can't have it both ways when you consistently hammered your belief that you have to be in the Elder circle like Elder grads coaching their legacy kids picking teams ensuring there is no competition for their kid so they can be the star and make the team.