SLC vs. MNW (No Insults Please)

SLCDad

Since the last thread about SLC vs. MNW imploded due to insults and personal attacks, I thought I'd start another thread. Please don't destroy this thread.

Here is a post from a non-SLC fan that I found on another board. I thought I'd re-post it here:

From Boto24:

"Let me pose this question. Has Southlake rebuilt their defense time after time over the last five years? The answer is a resounding yes. Granted they don't have a DC at this point, unless one has recently been hired. Having to replace nine starters on either side of the ball is a real challenge, but this is where SLC's feeder programs pay their dividends. Most starters at Carroll don't start until they're a senior unless they're exceptionally talented standouts at the JV level.

"Two areas SLC will heavily outweigh MNW is depth (backups that can play just as good as the starters) and the consistency of coaching at the sub-levels. Sub-level excellence, combined with utilizing every minute in the offseason (excellent time management) to groom the underclassmen for the upcoming season has allowed Carroll to fill the voids they have year after year.

"They teach techniques and schemes to the kids starting in 4th and 5th grade. By the time these kids reach the 11th and 12th grade, the system is engrained in their psyche. Why do you think Carroll continues to produce D1 quarterbacks year after year, some of which don't even start until they're a senior? It's because of a world class system that's been in place there for over 20 years. Their performance on the field is a reflection of their values off the field. The Class of 2008 is no exception. Carroll will have nothing but respect for MNW, but you can bet Carroll will not be outworked by any team in the offseason.

"I think MNW is a real threat, but they have never, let me repeat that, NEVER played an opponent with an athletic system as organized or disciplined as Carroll. There MIGHT be five public schools in the nation that are comparable to Carroll in overall emphasis on excellence in every phase of education from academics to athletics. If anyone thinks MNW will simply out-muscle, outrun, or out-athlete SLC, they will be in for a real shock on Sept. 15th. All other teams and coaches that had that philosophy are 0-79 against Carroll over the past five years."

I agree.

Personally, I'm really glad the game vs. DLS didn't work out. Since DLS has been losing the last few years they are dropping out of the top of the national rankings. Miami Northwestern finished in the top 5 in 2006 (depending on the poll) and will probably be #2 in the nation at the time of the game.

#1 vs #2 should be fantastic. Based on performance on the field and based on players returning both teams are well deserving of those rankings (if the rankings happen as many expect).

Miami may have the best individual athletes of any team in the nation. SLC has been the best program in the nation in recent years. WHAT MORE CAN ANYONE ASK FOR IN A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAME.

Fantastic!!!!!

Since the last thread about SLC vs. MNW imploded due to insults and personal attacks, I thought I'd start another thread. Please don't destroy this thread.

Here is a post from a non-SLC fan that I found on another board. I thought I'd re-post it here:

From Boto24:

"Let me pose this question. Has Southlake rebuilt their defense time after time over the last five years? The answer is a resounding yes. Granted they don't have a DC at this point, unless one has recently been hired. Having to replace nine starters on either side of the ball is a real challenge, but this is where SLC's feeder programs pay their dividends. Most starters at Carroll don't start until they're a senior unless they're exceptionally talented standouts at the JV level.

"Two areas SLC will heavily outweigh MNW is depth (backups that can play just as good as the starters) and the consistency of coaching at the sub-levels. Sub-level excellence, combined with utilizing every minute in the offseason (excellent time management) to groom the underclassmen for the upcoming season has allowed Carroll to fill the voids they have year after year.

"They teach techniques and schemes to the kids starting in 4th and 5th grade. By the time these kids reach the 11th and 12th grade, the system is engrained in their psyche. Why do you think Carroll continues to produce D1 quarterbacks year after year, some of which don't even start until they're a senior? It's because of a world class system that's been in place there for over 20 years. Their performance on the field is a reflection of their values off the field. The Class of 2008 is no exception. Carroll will have nothing but respect for MNW, but you can bet Carroll will not be outworked by any team in the offseason.

"I think MNW is a real threat, but they have never, let me repeat that, NEVER played an opponent with an athletic system as organized or disciplined as Carroll. There MIGHT be five public schools in the nation that are comparable to Carroll in overall emphasis on excellence in every phase of education from academics to athletics. If anyone thinks MNW will simply out-muscle, outrun, or out-athlete SLC, they will be in for a real shock on Sept. 15th. All other teams and coaches that had that philosophy are 0-79 against Carroll over the past five years."

I agree.

Personally, I'm really glad the game vs. DLS didn't work out. Since DLS has been losing the last few years they are dropping out of the top of the national rankings. Miami Northwestern finished in the top 5 in 2006 (depending on the poll) and will probably be #2 in the nation at the time of the game.

#1 vs #2 should be fantastic. Based on performance on the field and based on players returning both teams are well deserving of those rankings (if the rankings happen as many expect).

Miami may have the best individual athletes of any team in the nation. SLC has been the best program in the nation in recent years. WHAT MORE CAN ANYONE ASK FOR IN A HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL GAME.

Fantastic!!!!!

Miami NW thanks you for giving them motivation for the offseason. SLC will have to work awfully hard now to outwork Miami NW. Discipline? Miami NW will have that to compliment the most talented team in the country. They will not be phased.

I hope MNW doesn't need a post on a Yappi board to give them motivation. If they do that would be sad.

How many state titles have the Bulls won before 2006? What is their record over the last 20, 10, 5 years? Are they a new power in Florida? Have they ever been nationally ranked before 2006? I know they didn't make any noise on the national scene until late in season last year. Do you think the Bulls were better than the Dreadnaughts last year? Due to the rape allegations I heard that Easterling lost his key scholarship offers. Is that true? Where did he end up?

Nice going, SLCDad.

Apparently, Miami NW wasn't going to work hard in the offseason. But now they will.

I hope you are happy.

I'm glad to do my part. I was worried MNW wouldn't be competitive.

Ha. NO insults. Ooo. Already Breaking that part.

Northwestern Has been ranked before. Finished as high As #6 in past history.

They made noise all season long. No one outside of florida choose to pay attention.

Show me a team that put together a string of 7 shut outs. Still Waiting. Yea you wont find one out there. The bulls Racked up over 300 points easily in that streak.

And yes to tell you truth they looked better then lakeland last year. They looked better then any team i saw last year. The bulls would have beaten anything thrown at them last year in the prep world.

So they are legit as you will find next year along with SLC(of course), De la salle,Washington(miami), And maybe a Summerville, Dematha, or St.X. Those are top 10 to me next year.

Last edited:
Ya DLS really has been bad

they were ranked #1 in the country from the Herbie until Dec 16

thats like 3 straight months

they are so bad they only kep the #1 ranking for 12 weeks

way way way down That is how low #1 is

again just pitiful the gross errors and conclusions from this guy

PS

the 49ers won 10 or more games from like 1981 to 1998 (excluding the strike year of 1982)

they were awful all 18 of those years which is a record which probably never will be broken

and when they werent winning super bowls

it was coaches like Mike Holmgren, former 49ers offensive coordinator and Mike Shanahan former 49ers offensive coordinator who were winning Super Bowls

and to take it one step further, the uncle of Patriot 3 time winning super Bowl QB Tom Brady is the prinicipal (head brother) of De La Salle

but those 49ers really were never good those 18 years youre right Mr Fox
in the same period the Cowboys ran the circular route from good to oridinary to bad to ordinary to good to bad like two times

they won those 3 superbowls in the 90s cuz they had the #1 draft choice 2 successive years and hoodwinked the vikings in the worst trade in sports history, they got a grand total of 3 supes and like i said ... lucky they didnt have to play the niners in the 95 playoffs

meanwhile the 49ers won 4 super bowls drafting almost last just about every year

oh ya they got some nobody named Jerry Rice with the 16th pick in the draft the year after they set an NFL record for wins with 18 in 1984 (never surpassed)

and what state is france a part of???

LOL

Ha. NO insults. Ooo. Already Breaking that part.

Northwestern Has been ranked before. Finished as high As #6 in past history.

They made noise all season long. No one outside of florida choose to pay attention.

Show me a team that put together a string of 7 shut outs. Still Waiting. Yea you wont find one out there.racked up over 300 points easily in that streak.

And yes to tell you truth they looked better then lakeland last year. They lookd better then team i seen last year. The bulls beaten anything thrown at them last year in the prep world.

So they are legit as you will find next year along with SLC(of course), De la salle,Washington(miami), And maybe a Summerville, Dematha, or St.X. Those are top 10 to me next year.
Naughty, I agree with you regarding Northwestern. If you look at my first post in this thread, you will see that I said they will be WELL DESERVING of a #1 or #2 national ranking (if that happens). Don't they have something like 14 starters returning? Plus that huge linemen that transferred from Edision. That's impressive.

Let's look at the downside of each team.

Northwestern's strength of schedule was not great. Here is how the Freeman computer model evaluates their schedule:

Miami Northwestern: 15-0, Schedule Rating: 23.8
WINS: #388 Lake Brantley (Altamonte Springs, FL) (34-14), #566 North Miami Beach (FL) (42-20), #699 Central (Miami, FL) (41-0), #699 Central (Miami, FL) (39-12), #1381 Homestead (FL) (46-10), #1526 Columbus (Miami, FL) (42-0), #1526 Columbus (Miami, FL) (48-11), #1694 Jackson (Miami, FL) (41-0), #2176 Edison (Miami, FL) (40-8), #2304 Killian (Miami, FL) (34-20), #2879 Hialeah (FL) (51-0), #3092 Carol City (Miami, FL) (50-13), #4235 American (Hialeah, FL) (41-0), #7034 Hialeah-Miami Lakes (Hialeah, FL) (54-0), #10803 Goleman (Miami, FL) (47-0), LOSSES: none

Here is Carroll's 2006 schedule. It is rated about 2 touchdowns per game tougher than Northwestern's. If this rating is accurate, SLC played 7 games ranked higher than anybody MNW played.

Southlake Carroll: 16-0, Schedule Rating: 37.8
WINS: #37 Trinity (Euless, TX) (22-21), #52 Heritage (Colleyville, TX) (33-7), #52 Heritage (Colleyville, TX) (56-7), #55 Allen (TX) (38-0), #71 Westlake (Austin, TX) (43-29), #273 Permian (Odessa, TX) (42-6), #328 Grapevine (TX) (45-7), #477 Rockwall (TX) (47-7), #587 Northwest (Justin, TX) (45-21), #607 Evangel Christian (Shreveport, LA) (43-16), #1381 Richland (North Richland Hills, TX) (38-0), #1467 Lake Highlands (Dallas, TX) (49-13), #1882 Lewisville (TX) (35-0), #1949 Keller Central (Keller, TX) (57-7), #2304 Keller (TX) (64-24), #2795 Haltom (Haltom City, TX) (52-14), LOSSES: none

Ya DLS really has been bad

they were ranked #1 in the country from the Herbie until Dec 16

thats like 3 straight months

they are so bad they only kep the #1 ranking for 12 weeks

way way way down That is how low #1 is

again just pitiful the gross errors and conclusions from this guy
My point is that DLS has not finished in the national top 10 since 2003. Haven't they averaged about 2 losses per year since then?

Best of luck to DLS in 2007. I hope they make some noise.

Do you think they have the team to move to the top of the national rankings in 2007? How many starters do thay have coming back from last year?

You must admit that since MNW has almost their entire team coming back and SLC has their entire offense coming back that matchup will be the top game in the country. It will most likely be #1 vs. #2. This game will be a more impressive matchup than SLC vs. DLS would have been.

Guys (and I'm not trying to point out anyone specifically), try to keep this to SLC versus Miami Northwestern. DLS has nothing to do with this thread. That is why I closed down the other thread.

This game reminds me of SLC vs Trinity.

Are comparisons valid?

I'd say the comparisions are somewhat valid. I know MNW has a couple of very large players and they are large overall. However, they are not a big as Trinity is. Trinity is larger top to bottom. They are massive.

MNW, on the other hand, is loaded with athletes. I saw a National Top 100 prospects list. MNW had 3 players on the list. Their QB is 6'4". They have 3 top D1 WRs. They've got great players in other positions not to mention that 300 lb lineman that transferred from Edision.

SLC will have essentially the same offense that they had vs. Trinity. Although, the SLC offense should be improved with 9 starters having one more year of experience. I'd say that Riley and Tre will have HUGE senior seasons. As has been said over and over, the key will be SLC's defense. They have proven they can reload and they have a fantastic feeder system. However, will it be enough to slow down MNW's offensive? I see that as the key.

The irony regarding SLC's defense is that they don't have a defensive coordinator right now. The 2006 DC is now the DC at Univ of North Texas with Coach Dodge. SLC hired Highland Park's DC but after about a month he changed his mind and went back to Highland Park. Two reasons were cited. 1) He ran a 3-4 scheme. SLC has always run a 4-3 and the HC wanted to keep it that way. 2) Two of his sons had come up through the Highland Park school district and were having a hard time changing and coming to SLC. Both play football. Highland Park has a great program.

Guys (and I'm not trying to point out anyone specifically), try to keep this to SLC versus Miami Northwestern. DLS has nothing to do with this thread. That is why I closed down the other thread.
I thought you closed the thread because it was getting nasty. If that was a part of it, you did the right thing. Thanks.

The irony regarding SLC's defense is that they don't have a defensive coordinator right now. The 2006 DC is now the DC at Univ of North Texas with Coach Dodge. SLC hired Highland Park's DC but after about a month he changed his mind and went back to Highland Park. Two reasons were cited. 1) He ran a 3-4 scheme. SLC has always run a 4-3 and the HC wanted to keep it that way. 2) Two of his sons had come up through the Highland Park school district and were having a hard time changing and coming to SLC. Both play football. Highland Park has a great program.

Thanks for the insight...the plot thickens.

Umm read the first post

QUOTE: Personally, I'm really glad the game vs. DLS didn't work out. Since DLS has been losing the last few years they are dropping out of the top of the national rankings

I think If DLS has nothing to do with this thread, they would not be mentioned so prominently in the opening post.

Just another continued obsession with bashing DLS

QUOTE: Personally, I'm really glad the game vs. DLS didn't work out. Since DLS has been losing the last few years they are dropping out of the top of the national rankings.

Just another continued obsession with bashing DLS

How is this bashing DLS? Isn't the statement true?

(DLS has been losing about 2 games per year, average, and hasn't finished in the top 10 since 2003. From SLC's perspective MNW is a replacement on the schedule for DLS. As it's turned out, MNW will be a higher ranked opponent than DLS would have been. That's good for SLC if they want to play the best teams. Stating these facts is not intended to bash DLS.)

Last edited:
the point was made that this was not a thread about dls

I begged to differ based on the prominent mention in the first post

congrats to slc for losing 1 game in 5 years

dls lost 1 game in 14 years. slc hs to go undefeated the next 9 years to only match what dls did

dls has lost 6 games the last 5 years
that is about 1 loss a year

dls has lost 7 games the last 17 years
that is less than 1/2 a loss a year

yeah dls has become second rate

Yeah, you can use whatever time period you want.

I was referring to the period since the DLS streak ended. Since then they have been losing about 2 games per year and they haven't finished in the top 10 (since 2003). Nobody said DLS is 2nd rate.

I am suggesting that SLC vs. MNW will probably be #1 vs #2. That is a more significant game than SLC vs. DLS would have been. I'd be surprised if DLS started the season in the top 10, and maybe not in the top 20. That is the point I was making.

(I asked about how DLS will be in 2007 but nobody responded.)

SLC was disappointed when the game with DLS didn't work out. As it turns out, however, the replacement opponent is much higher ranked. That's good for SLC (and for MNW).

DLS didn't want to come to Texas. SLC wanted a top ranked opponent. MNW wants a crack at SLC. It seems things worked out for the best for everyone concerned.

Last edited:
Look i dont wanna see no computer rankings they mean nothing With this game.

The game SHOULD BE CLOSE, but who knows what will happen. I see MNW winning this game. One From what i see Slc is kinda blowing them off as just another team right now. Two they have more talent and have more fire power then anything slc has seen in a looooooooong time. And personally i dont think after the first half slc will be able to keep up.

Two great programs

One New comer - Miami Northwestern

One old Comer- Slc

should be a good game. Cant wait. Its the Lakeland Vs. St.X of 2007

Look i dont wanna see no computer rankings they mean nothing With this game.

The game SHOULD BE CLOSE, but who knows what will happen. I see MNW winning this game. One From what i see Slc is kinda blowing them off as just another team right now. Two they have more talent and have more fire power then anything slc has seen in a looooooooong time. And personally i dont think after the first half slc will be able to keep up.

Two great programs

One New comer - Miami Northwestern

One old Comer- Slc

should be a good game. Cant wait. Its the Lakeland Vs. St.X of 2007

Trust me, SLC is NOT blowing off MNW. Some fans are talking smack, but you can bet that the SLC coaches and players are taking MNW very, very seriously.

I posted on a Florida board that MNW will probably be the best team that SLC has ever played. I also think that SLC will be the best team that MNW has ever played. Several Florida fans laughed when I said that about SLC.

SLC isn't exactly an "old comer". They have only been in 5A for 5 years. Prior to that they were a smaller school. They have had a great 5 years. (79-1. 5 state finals appearances with 4 titles. 3 national titles. Not bad.) I believe, MNW has been in the large school division for much longer than SLC.

I thought you closed the thread because it was getting nasty. If that was a part of it, you did the right thing. Thanks.

It was pretty much for both reasons. I have enjoyed the debate about Miami NW and SLC. I don't know why some people couldn't just leave it at that and had to throw DLS into the ring.

It was pretty much for both reasons. I have enjoyed the debate about Miami NW and SLC. I don't know why some people couldn't just leave it at that and had to throw DLS into the ring.
I understand and agree.

The connection of DLS to the SLC vs MNW game is that the game was originally supposed to be SLC vs DLS. Most fans in Texas thought the SLC vs. DLS game was set for 2007. Also, DLS was ranked #1 by USA Today for much of the 2006 season. It appeared that the SLC vs. DLS game would be the "premier" high school football game in the nation in 2007. However, since DLS lost their first chance to prove themselves in a state title game, even if the SLC vs. DLS game had happened, it would not have been as exciting since DLS lost. I'd be surprised if DLS makes the top 10 in the 2007 preseason rankings. They may not make the top 20.

MNW was a proven winner in 2006. They won the Florida big school title. They are STACKED with D1 athletes with most of their starters coming back on both offense and defense. They could be the best team in the nation in 2007.

SLC's record speaks for itself. They are three time defending national champs.

I can't think of a more significant high school football game in the entire USA than SLC vs. MNW (prior to all of the state playoffs which are more important than any state vs state match-up). Of course if either team loses before the game my comment won't be true.

Since DLS didn't want to come to Texas (or couldn't afford to come) they got what they wanted. SLC got an even better opponent for that open slot on their schedule. Everybody should be happy.

They teach techniques and schemes to the kids starting in 4th and 5th grade

I have a bit of a problem with this statement. I think most Orthopedics would agree kids do not need to be playing tackle football at this age. Texas High does not have a program until 8th grade. 6th and 7th grade is "pre-athletics" to develop the growing students. I think you have to consider the 60 to 70 years of life after the 12th grade.

I thought they held football players in Texas back so that in 4th and 5th grade they were already 13 or 14 years old.

So it shouldn't really be an issue.

They don't have football in the Southlake Carroll school district in the 4th and 5th grade. I'm not sure who wrote the statement you quoted (you didn't cite your source).

Perhaps he was referring to Pee Wee football. That is not connected to the schools and those teams don't run the same offenses as the school teams.

Personal to SLC Dad

My point is that DLS has not finished in the national top 10 since 2003. Haven't they averaged about 2 losses per year since then?

Best of luck to DLS in 2007. I hope they make some noise.

Do you think they have the team to move to the top of the national rankings in 2007? How many starters do thay have coming back from last year?

You must admit that since MNW has almost their entire team coming back and SLC has their entire offense coming back that matchup will be the top game in the country. It will most likely be #1 vs. #2. This game will be a more impressive matchup than SLC vs. DLS would have been.

Hey Dad, you make a quasi jab at DLS because they lost 6 games in the past 3 yrs; you could also note that they lost 6 games in the past 15 yrs. It seems like you are putting them on a lower level due to their recent history. Yet, you also try to expose MNW because of their LACK of recent history, like over the past 5, 10, 20 yrs. Here is your offering re MNW:

""How many state titles have the Bulls won before 2006? What is their record over the last 20, 10, 5 years? Are they a new power in Florida? Have they ever been nationally ranked before 2006? I know they didn't make any noise on the national scene until late in season last year. Do you think the Bulls were better than the Dreadnaughts last year? ""

Your rating criteria re opponents just seems to be inconsistent.

SLCDad; 2) Two of his sons had come up through the Highland Park school district and were having a hard time changing and coming to SLC. Both play football. [/QUOTE said:
Is it possible the boys were partial to their natural hair color and did not want to be forced to look like MnM?

What do you say to the accusations that SLC, which could clearly afford another high school, chooses instead to have two full size schools split 9th and 10th in one and 11th 12th in the other yet both playing under one athletic umbrella and that this is done primarily for athletic reasons?

Do you think this gives Carroll an unfair advantage?

Do any other schools in Texas do this?

They don't have football in the Southlake Carroll school district in the 4th and 5th grade. I'm not sure who wrote the statement you quoted (you didn't cite your source).
QUOTE]

It was from the quote from another site that you posted in blue.