Semifinal: Ohio State vs Clemson (12/28)

Who wins?

• Buckeyes by 1-7

Votes: 14 37.8%
  • Buckeyes by 8-15

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Buckeyes by 16+

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Tigers by 1-7

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Tigers by 8-15

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Tigers by 16+

Votes: 1 2.7%

• Total voters

IF OSU can get pressure with four and especially middle pressure from Hamilton and Cornell I think that will give them the edge. IF Lawrence is able to stand in the pocket OSU is in big trouble. On the other side of the ball IF OSU controls the line of scrimmage and beats on Clemson's front four they will be successful. So like all games the skill players get the credit but the lines win the games
My heart says OSU 34-31
My mind says Clemson 34-28 Lawrence is just so good I don't see OSU slowing him down much

I know Ohio State owns the statistical performance metrics and that Clemson's 2019 schedule is considered to be weak, but I see the Tigers pulling away late by something like 38-24. Simply put, Clemson's speed will wear down the Bucks in the fourth quarter. I certainly hope OSU proves me wrong, but I see this CFP semi match up reinforcing the stereotype of slow Midwest - Big 10 football.

zeeman's assessment is about spot on but it will come down to who can run the ball and who can stop the run. Whichever team can stuff the run and pin their ears back on the QB will win.

Simply put, Clemson's speed will wear down the Bucks in the fourth quarter. I certainly hope OSU proves me wrong, but I see this CFP semi match up reinforcing the stereotype of slow Midwest - Big 10 football.

Ohio State dispelled that speed thing a while ago. Clemson may win but if won’t be because they have more speed than Ohio State, because they don’t. Neither team has a speed advantage over the other.

Hafley is coaching in this game.

To me the key is coaching as talent wise these two teams have similar levels. I am worried that Day and his assistants were too distracted by award season, they seemed everywhere ready to give interviews or in the case of Hafley getting a new job. Clemson's staff was sitting at home preparing for yet another semi and while they are losing their offensive coordinator Dabo can cover that on his own. Venables is on another level and has yet to be out coached in a playoff game.

Like Wisconsin my guess is that Dabo gets the ball to start the game and goes deep into the playbook to try and soften up the tOSU defense. He wants the lead and wants to get into the Buckeyes heads, that is his MO. Then once into the game Trevor Lawrence will become a RPO machine and will run the ball more than what tOSU has seen on film. To me the tOSU weakness is still at LB and if they want to stop the Clemson offense Werner and Borland will have to play at a high level. On the other side of the ball I think Fields gets easily confused and really holds on to the ball too long, he cannot keep taking sacks and putting his team into 3rd and longs. Opposite of tOSU Clemson has the best LB in NCAA football, Isiah Simmons, and he is versatile. Venables will use him in a variety of manners and Fields will need to be able to read him and make adjustments based on what he is doing. I am mostly worried about him blitzing and Dobbins having another tough day picking up this key block, this was something Elliott was great at and a difference maker in the 2015 playoffs.

The bottom line is Day must stay focused and manage the game, don't let Dabo overwhelm his team and keep his players even headed. No stupid mistakes, be ready for anything and play smart; that is the key. But then again I am really woried that this will be the image we see over and over again all game long>

NCAA-OHIO-STATE-MICHIGAN.jpg

Hafley is coaching in this game.

To me the key is coaching as talent wise these two teams have similar levels. I am worried that Day and his assistants were too distracted by award season, they seemed everywhere ready to give interviews or in the case of Hafley getting a new job. Clemson's staff was sitting at home preparing for yet another semi and while they are losing their offensive coordinator Dabo can cover that on his own. Venables is on another level and has yet to be out coached in a playoff game.

Like Wisconsin my guess is that Dabo gets the ball to start the game and goes deep into the playbook to try and soften up the tOSU defense. He wants the lead and wants to get into the Buckeyes heads, that is his MO. Then once into the game Trevor Lawrence will become a RPO machine and will run the ball more than what tOSU has seen on film. To me the tOSU weakness is still at LB and if they want to stop the Clemson offense Werner and Borland will have to play at a high level. On the other side of the ball I think Fields gets easily confused and really holds on to the ball too long, he cannot keep taking sacks and putting his team into 3rd and longs. Opposite of tOSU Clemson has the best LB in NCAA football, Isiah Simmons, and he is versatile. Venables will use him in a variety of manners and Fields will need to be able to read him and make adjustments based on what he is doing. I am mostly worried about him blitzing and Dobbins having another tough day picking up this key block, this was something Elliott was great at and a difference maker in the 2015 playoffs.

The bottom line is Day must stay focused and manage the game, don't let Dabo overwhelm his team and keep his players even headed. No stupid mistakes, be ready for anything and play smart; that is the key. But then again I am really woried that this will be the image we see over and over again all game long>

NCAA-OHIO-STATE-MICHIGAN.jpg
Did you graduate from Clemson lol? You make it sound like OSU has to play way above themselves

I’m just tired of Dabo spewing his nonsense about them being ranked 3rd and saying it hasn’t happened since the 1960’s or whatever. FSU was the defending national champs 5 years ago and was ranked 3rd going into the playoffs with two 1 loss teams in front of them.

I wouldn't be concerned about Day and awards season. Not saying he is better than Meyer but he never had that crazy off week Urban teams seemed to have. I think Day understands how to keep his team focused week in and week out.

I think this will be a great game. Lot of takes on what it comes down to but I think the biggest is the Fields vs Venables matchup.

I wouldn't be concerned about Day and awards season. Not saying he is better than Meyer but he never had that crazy off week Urban teams seemed to have. I think Day understands how to keep his team focused week in and week out.

I think this will be a great game. Lot of takes on what it comes down to but I think the biggest is the Fields vs Venables matchup.
Fields vs Venables- Good point. Venables will confuse Fields. Dobbins needs to move the chains.

Did you graduate from Clemson lol? You make it sound like OSU has to play way above themselves

Nope but I do speak to a lot of folks that look at football games through a different prism than fans. Like I said the players don't have to play above themselves, they are on par with what Clemson. But I do believe the coaches have to step up their game because they are facing one of the best staffs in NCAA football, not Jim Harbaugh or James Franklin who are below average when it comes to game plan development and game day management.

This game will be easy to decide early on. JK Dobbins ability or inability to run the ball will be key to the outcome. I know Justin Fields has had a great first year as a starter. But many of these games have been blowouts or games where the Buckeyes were clear favorites. This game is a toss up. If Clemson forces Fields to have to make plays, it may be a good thing for Clemson.
As pointed out earlier, the Buckeyes have a big ability/ speed advantage vs. every team they've played, until Saturday. Can the Buckeye secondary cover receivers who are as fast as their secondary? Now Clemson did lose a ton of D-line from last year, can Ohio State control the line of scrimmage? Ohio State has playmakers on the offensive side, so I'm thinking it's going to be a game in the 30's. I'll take Clemson 38-33.

I’m just tired of Dabo spewing his nonsense about them being ranked 3rd and saying it hasn’t happened since the 1960’s or whatever. FSU was the defending national champs 5 years ago and was ranked 3rd going into the playoffs with two 1 loss teams in front of them.
He has a point. They are defending national champ and have won 27 straight. They probably would have killed everyone on OSU’s schedule

He has a point. They are defending national champ and have won 27 straight. They probably would have killed everyone on OSU’s schedule
FSU in 2014 was the defending national champs and on a 29 game win streak. Alabama and Oregon were ranked higher than them with 1 loss each going into the playoffs. My point is he’s making up nonsense and acting like it’s unprecedented what happened to his team because it sounds good. Not based on fact.

FSU in 2014 was the defending national champs and on a 29 game win streak. Alabama and Oregon were ranked higher than them with 1 loss each going into the playoffs. My point is he’s making up nonsense and acting like it’s unprecedented what happened to his team because it sounds good. Not based on fact.
There is a huge biased towards SEC, Big 10, and Big 12. Clemson is the next dynasty but they get no respect because OSU and Oklahoma will make more money to the NCAA. Hence the eye test

If Ohio State plays like they did in the 1st half vs Wisconsin II they will get smacked by 14-17+ points. However, if they play like they did most of the season I see the OSU winning by like 9 points (like 35-26).

I think Fields being willing to use his legs to extend plays or pick up first downs will be key. He has to be healthy for Ohio State to win this.

And the Buckeyes have to be able to get offensive line push and control the game that way. I don't see our defense being able to stop Clemson consistently. Just need stops at the right time

Comes down to effectively being able to run the ball and whether or not they can consistently put pressure on Lawrence.

A reasonable concern would be whether or not Fields is healthy enough to pressure Clemson's defense with his legs or if he's susceptible to aggravate his injury. Defensively, scheme may be a concern here.

Much seems to have been made this year about OSU's defense improving by "simplifying" scheme to be more read and react, and just letting their guys go out-athlete other teams. Clemson is their first opponent that will bring comparable talent matchups across the board. If Lawrence gets a fairly clean pocket I'd expect them to get scored on a lot.

We saw a glimpse of what happens when Ryan Day and Justin Fields face some pressure in the Wisconsin game. They eventually responded but Ryan Day, much like all of the new young offensive minds, LOVES his passing game. If Clemson can stuff the run early Day will rely far too heavily on the pass game which will kill OSU. Bottom line: OSU MUST run the football to be in this game. It does not help that Clemson enters the game as reigning National Champs, undefeated, and yet the underdog (in their minds).

Yesterday.....Tuesday, Fields said his left knee is 80-85% so hopefully that means 90-95%. What I like best about him is his ability to get that 1st down with his legs, gives me comfort knowing we have a superfreak at QB. My inner Jim Tressel just reminded me to say don't forget about the special teams, we have a special teams demon in Chris Olave....maybe he can make an impact that way too. But sorry Jim if we are inside Clemson's 40 with less than 2 or 3 yds to go on 4th down at just about any time I'm not punting it.

This game will be easy to decide early on. JK Dobbins ability or inability to run the ball will be key to the outcome. I know Justin Fields has had a great first year as a starter. But many of these games have been blowouts or games where the Buckeyes were clear favorites. This game is a toss up. If Clemson forces Fields to have to make plays, it may be a good thing for Clemson.
As pointed out earlier, the Buckeyes have a big ability/ speed advantage vs. every team they've played, until Saturday. Can the Buckeye secondary cover receivers who are as fast as their secondary? Now Clemson did lose a ton of D-line from last year, can Ohio State control the line of scrimmage? Ohio State has playmakers on the offensive side, so I'm thinking it's going to be a game in the 30's. I'll take Clemson 38-33.

Clemson has had a bigger advantage over every team they've played than any team in college football.

If Ohio State plays like they did in the 1st half vs Wisconsin II they will get smacked by 14-17+ points. However, if they play like they did most of the season I see the OSU winning by like 9 points (like 35-26).
They aren't playing the teams they played in the regular season. Honestly, do you think ANY of the OSU opponents, Penn State/ Michigan/ Wisconsin could play with Clemson? That's what you need to look at. Conversely, Clemson has not played anyone like Ohio State to date either.

They aren't playing the teams they played in the regular season. Honestly, do you think ANY of the OSU opponents, Penn State/ Michigan/ Wisconsin could play with Clemson? That's what you need to look at. Conversely, Clemson has not played anyone like Ohio State to date either.
Honestly, yes. North Carolina played with Clemson and I think all those teams are a lot better than North Carolina.