Seattle U Redhawks 74 Chicago State Cougars 66

LICKING COUNTY FAN

Seattle (23-8, 14-4 WAC) clinched at least a piece of the conference title with their narrow victory over a game Chicago State (7-24, 3-15 Conf) squad. This one was close for most of the game with both teams fighting very hard and clean. Leading Seattle with 22 points were Riley Grigsby (San Jose, CA) and Darrion Trammell (Marin City, CA) 20 points. Victor Rajkovic (Mill Valley, CA) did not score but did have 8 boards off of the bench. For Chicago State, Brandon Betson (Hercules, CA) had a game-high 31 points.

The Seattle University mascot was call “Chieftain.” But sensitivity for something less offensive to Native American’s, the mascot name was changed to Redhawk (Rudy the Redhawk). When I was in high school, a friend of mine on the varsity basketball team had parents who had season tickets to the Seattle University Chieftain basketball games. Whenever one of the parents didn’t go to the game, they let me go along with them to see the games. The great Elgin Baylor played basketball at Seattle University.