Schools that don't play baseball on Wednesdays?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Saw a coach talking about allowing games to be played on Wednesdays. Is this a widespread issue? How many schools does it affect? I've never heard of schools not playing on Wednesdays, so curious what schools have this rule...

I know in youth sports, they try to avoid Wednesdays as much as possible. But this is the first I've ever heard of a high school avoiding Wednesdays. I get why, and I'm fine with it. I just had never heard of or noticed it before.

Saw a coach talking about allowing games to be played on Wednesdays. Is this a widespread issue? How many schools does it affect? I've never heard of schools not playing on Wednesdays, so curious what schools have this rule...
Many schools in western Ohio (MAC teams, among others) abide by ‘dark Wednesdays’. It’s because kids from many of these communities have religious education on these nights.

I grew up in NW Ohio in a relatively Catholic community. We typically did not have activities growing up on Wednesdays due to Catechism classes. I thought they ended in 8th grade though.

Never heard of not playing on Wed. Our league is set up to play the same team on Mon and Wed during the same week. As Serpico mentioned, maybe it's a certain part of the state.

My school has a policy that Wednesday practices are done by 6 pm (you know, the whole church thing), but there can be games.

Built in make up day? Making it an unwritten Rule?

I just checked the schedule of the team I follow. Not 1 game on Wed or Sun.
The school i follow has almost nothing scheduled on Tuesdays. I'm sure it's a coach's preference. It is nice to have a carved out day for a practice every week, as well as for rainouts.

If schools are in leagues where the conference games are Monday/Tuesday, they may leave Wednesday as a hole each week in case Monday or Tuesday gets cancelled/postponed.

Can't speak for this year, but the last 2 seasons (2021 & 2019) M and W during conference season were in division games and Fridays were crossovers.

Traditionally, Baptist congregations had services on Wednesdays. This is where the traditon of no Wednesday events originated.
When I first moved down to South Carolina 18 years ago I was told not to schedule games on Wednesdays and to limit Wednesday practice to no later than 5:30 pm. Now not everyone attended Wednesday church service BUT I was told it wasn't worth the fight.

Traditionally, Baptist congregations had services on Wednesdays. This is where the traditon of no Wednesday events originated.
NOt just Baptists. Catholics, Lutherans, Presbyterians, etc. used to all reserve Wednesdays for Midweek Christian Education/etc. Many schools (private and public) still try to abide by giving Wednesday evenings a priority for such activities. The district in which I live allows players the opportunity to leave practice early to attend religious services without reprocutions from the coach, etc.

I'd say mostly in some smaller rural communitys, Wednesday has been adopted as a "family" night where many have religion, youth group activities. I think this was adopted by some because of the crush of weekend youth sports activities. Some will block on Wednesdays, and play AAU basketball, club Vball Saturdays and Sundays. Because of the nature of spring sports and the weather, even blocking off one day during the week makes it difficult to schedule.

There are games scheduled on Wednesdays?

The school where my wife teaches strongly advises teachers to not assign homework on Wednesday.

A couple conferences in SW Ohio prohibit Wednesday or Sunday games.

It is interesting how many teams in basketball now play Sunday games. I recall reading about an overtime basketball game played in West Virginia years back that was not allowed to be finished once the clock hit midnight on Saturday night. They resumed the game the next Monday evening and the visiting team traveled quite a distance as I recall.