SCC Irish vs. Springfield Wildcats

shoprat2

Another case of adults ruining a kids game. Irish were leading the Cats 56-42 in the middle of the third quarter,loose ball under the Irish basket resulted I several bodies hitting the floor. Tempers flared but everything looked under control. Then some “adults” came out of the stands and tried to interject themselves. Coaches had the teams under control but when another issue arose outside the gym requiring police the officials consulted with the athletic directors and then called the game.
It was a real shame to end a good game that way. It had been a classic match-up of speed vs size. The Cats had forced a lot of turnovers with their press and quickness but also had foul issues. The Irish dominated inside controlling both boards and getting layup after layup. I unfortunately the game had a horrible ending and it will likely be another twenty years before these schools play again.

This game should have been called before the other issue erupted in the lobby/entryway. Multiple punches thrown and from my vantage point straight across from it, one kid tried to square up with a coach when the coaches and officials were trying to break it up. I don't think there was much clarity with officials as to technicals and ejections...add in the knuckleheads going onto the floor and this one should have been called immediately instead of trying to cool things down and sort out the situation for several minutes.

Springfield is bad...I definitely understood how they got rocked by Fairmont the other night by 50. They have a lot of athleticism but are very limited in skill outside of a couple kids. They forced a ton of turnovers early and didn't manage to convert it into much on the scoreboard. Central dominated on the glass, and once they got up by double digits and got into a little bit of foul trouble should have just packed it in in a zone and let Springfield chuck up 3s. Good litmus test for Central physically/athletically looking ahead to deep into the tournament.

This game did have a pretty good crowd and a very lively atmosphere. I figured this would be a one year deal with what Central will graduate, but it's going to be a very long time again, if ever, before there's another matchup.

regardless of tonights outcome. Tyler Galusch of Catholic Central is the real deal. By far the best player on the floor.

Any word on what the punishment was and if it is an official game? I’ve seen a couple of sites list it as a win for Central. Both teams have played since this game were there suspensions?
It's an official game and a win for Central.

Yes. I believe Central had some two game suspensions...I believe everyone was back for their win against Anna this evening. Springfield has been slow updating their results, but judging by their next game box score they had a few two game suspensions, and I expect that they had 1-2 four game suspensions.

Who were the two thugs working security at the game that were wearing Springfield North apparel?
The “thugs” are two staff members at the high school that happened to graduate from North. I believe both are also football coaches and both helped keep order. The police and staff did a good job of keeping things from being worse. There were adults trying to get on the floor and the staff did a good job of keeping the situation contained.

The “thugs” are two staff members at the high school that happened to graduate from North. I believe both are also football coaches and both helped keep order. The police and staff did a good job of keeping things from being worse. There were adults trying to get on the floor and the staff did a good job of keeping the situation contained.
They are not football coaches or coaches at all just guys work athletic events

Springfield is beyond bad. I cannot imagine that a school that size with the talent level at the school could of fallen off so much in basketball. When I first saw them play I was in disbelief and was thinking they had several players missing. But that was not the case and when Fairmont beats them by 50+ .... ouch..... and now a beat down by a tiny D4 team... what the heck is going on? Are they losing kids to Academies???