Rush Propst on Alabama and Georgia

The guy is a scumbag, but why would he lie when he doesn’t know he’s being recorded? It’s not like he issued this statement to the press. Everyone with an ounce of common sense knows there’s probably a high degree of truth to what he’s saying.

According to 247, UGA has only had 2 classes from 2001 to 2015 (year before Kirby) outside the top 10. They were 11th and 12th. They’ve always been good recruiting.
Yes they’ve always been good at recruiting, but since Kirby got there they’ve been the best. They have the highest average ranking over the last 5 years finishing in the top 3 every year.

Yes they’ve always been good at recruiting, but since Kirby got there they’ve been the best. They have the highest average ranking over the last 5 years finishing in the top 3 every year.

Right. They are in a talent rich state and located in a talent rich region of the US - the south. They went from top 10 to top 5/top 3 which isn't unbelievable or unrealistic. I doubt it's because Kirby started paying recruits. UGA has always paid recruits.

Kirby was just able to keep the top GA recruits in the state of GA. His first top 3 class (2017), 65% were from GA. 60% in 2018 (#1 class). 7 of the 20 out of state recruits were RB (a position UGA is historically great at) and OL (Sam Pittman is arguably the best college OL coach). Of the remaining 13, only 5 came from non-neighboring states. UGA was always a sleeping giant in college football. They just needed a good recruiter (along with the payments) to wake it up.

Last edited:
The in-state talent since Kirby has been there has probably been both better and deeper than it was the previous 10-15 years due to the state's continued growth. Georgia has gained 2.5 million people in the last 20 years, and from a numbers standpoint in high school sports it's a near polar opposite to Ohio as the number of school age kids has been booming the last couple decades.

There's still probably some truth to this, as there likely is at a lot of the other major players in college football.

UGA football is a sleeping giant with arguably the best in state recruiting advantage outside of LSU, there is no need to pay players to secure talent. Their issue is Kirby Smart is not the most dynamic personality plus they have struggled with the QB spot and some of this comes from having a defensive minded Head Coach who has been apprehensive to opening things up with a more modern system. Outside of a massive opener in Charlotte against Clemson the schedule is very manageable by SEC standards next season, many think this has to be their year and if they don't get it done it might be time to look at a new direction.

UGA football is a sleeping giant with arguably the best in state recruiting advantage outside of LSU, there is no need to pay players to secure talent. Their issue is Kirby Smart is not the most dynamic personality plus they have struggled with the QB spot and some of this comes from having a defensive minded Head Coach who has been apprehensive to opening things up with a more modern system. Outside of a massive opener in Charlotte against Clemson the schedule is very manageable by SEC standards next season, many think this has to be their year and if they don't get it done it might be time to look at a new direction.
I love the Buckeyes and I see how dominant Bama is under Saban, as well as Clemson under Dabo. Programs like Texas, USC, LSU, the Florida schools and others have traditions, facilities, money and recruiting bases that can make them dominant under the right leadership. When asked what job I would take if I was a college football coach and could have any job, I said Georgia without hesitation. You mix a great college town, a massively growing state and metro, a great tradition, facilities, good climate and other factors, Georgia football can be a juggernaut.

I love the Buckeyes and I see how dominant Bama is under Saban, as well as Clemson under Dabo. Programs like Texas, USC, LSU, the Florida schools and others have traditions, facilities, money and recruiting bases that can make them dominant under the right leadership. When asked what job I would take if I was a college football coach and could have any job, I said Georgia without hesitation. You mix a great college town, a massively growing state and metro, a great tradition, facilities, good climate and other factors, Georgia football can be a juggernaut.

Smart is a great recruiter, but he’s not great in game. I think of him as a more competent version of Orgeron. It’s rare a decision he makes will lose UGA a game but he’s also not going to out scheme anyone.

The numbers do not lie. Mark Richt had mega talent and so does Kirby Smart. IMO both are/were overrated coaches but their immense talent masks shortfalls. Most years, GA is second only to Bama in talent.

This is a washed up coach trying to sound important. Bryant Jr. is a shady dude no doubt but all of his money could not help Mike DuBuse, Dennis Franchione, or David Shula?

Last edited: