Roy Williams retiring

I heard there was going to be quite the exodus from UNC - I wonder if that was because he was retiring or if the exodus was the straw that broke the camels back and caused him to retire.

Caleb Love announced he was returning. I can’t imagine Williams didn’t tell him what was going on.

Bombshell. I wonder if this caught a lot of people by surprise. I figured he'd coach for at least another 3-4 years, if not longer.

I wonder if they'd have the balls to hire a younger guy like Miller that's built up a smaller program or some other former player that has a thin college coaching resume.

I can't believe I actually agree with him, but I have to agree with Stephen A. Smith that LeVelle Moton is probably deserving of some play here as a low-mid major option to look at to go along with Miller if they can't strike gold with more established options they should be looking at first.

Huge basketball figure in the Raleigh area and has gotten North Carolina Central into the tournament 4 times while winning about 75% of the time in the MEAC. NC State probably should have hired him a few years ago during their last coaching change.

He's just as big of a scumbag as many others but somehow has avoided controversy. That whole academic fraud thing was completely glossed over by the school and the NCAA. Being the nice grandpa in front of the camera and being respected for his record shouldn't give him a pass.

Also, it was pretty moronic to announce this on April Fool’s.
Also, his birthday - if I heard correctly. Ol' Roy has been behind Miller since day one. If this happens, I hope the G gets a good replacement.

I wouldn't be surprised if the only real candidates here are Miller and assistant (and former player) Hubert Davis. Every coach post-Dean Smith has had a pre-existing connection with the program.

Edit: I forgot about Jerry Stackhouse, but I don't know if aesthetically they could hire a guy that has 20 wins at Vanderbilt in two years over the other two.

Last edited:
Bombshell. I wonder if this caught a lot of people by surprise. I figured he'd coach for at least another 3-4 years, if not longer.
I actually am surprised more coaches have not retired after a year that had to be the most challenging ever in recent history due to Covid. Perhaps more will follow.

I still think of William's as the coach of Kansas but he won three titles at UNC, and was there 3 years longer than he was at Kansas.

One of the all time greats for sure. Went out near the top. Huggins will pass him in total wins if he stays another year.

I see Kansas gave that POS Bill Self what's essentially a lifetime contract. At least there's no evidence St. Roy ever paid players.

Whenever I hear Bill Self's name, it brings to mind the incredibly tone deaf KU midnight madness promo from a couple years ago with him wearing a $ sign gold chain to promote Snoop Dogg being the "entertainment" for that event.

Whenever I hear Bill Self's name, it brings to mind the incredibly tone deaf KU midnight madness promo from a couple years ago with him wearing a $ sign gold chain to promote Snoop Dogg being the "entertainment" for that event.
I can’t remember, was that before or after the Scandal news broke? What’s insane is neither Self, Will Wade, or Sean Miller have been fired. I’ve never seen anything like this where the guillotine hangs over a coach for YEARS with no resolution.

I actually am surprised more coaches have not retired after a year that had to be the most challenging ever in recent history due to Covid. Perhaps more will follow.

I still think of William's as the coach of Kansas but he won three titles at UNC, and was there 3 years longer than he was at Kansas.

One of the all time greats for sure. Went out near the top. Huggins will pass him in total wins if he stays another year.

That is a fair point. I wonder if the challenges of this year will expedite the retirements of more of the big name old guard coaches that are in their twilight years.

Huggins is going to pass multiple big names next year. I think eventually he'll pass Boeheim and end his career only 2nd to Coach K in career wins at the DI level. Boeheim is nine years older than him, and he probably has 3.5-4 years on him in the win column. Unless Huggy Bear croaks or Boeheim manages to coach well into his 80s, that seems inevitable IMO.

I can’t remember, was that before or after the Scandal news broke? What’s insane is neither Self, Will Wade, or Sean Miller have been fired. I’ve never seen anything like this where the guillotine hangs over a coach for YEARS with no resolution.

After the scandal news broke, and just a few months after a few guys got sentenced to prison for it.

It's incredible how it just seemed to gradually fade into the background and out of the headlines, and all of the big names have managed to continue on almost like nothing of note happened.

I don't have anything against Roy. They are big on keeping the job in the family. From what I have been able to read, it sounds like Roy will really support the hiring of Wes Miller. I think it will be Hubert Davis. It seems that he has been responsible for their higher level recruits.

I don't have anything against Roy. They are big on keeping the job in the family. From what I have been able to read, it sounds like Roy will really support the hiring of Wes Miller. I think it will be Hubert Davis. It seems that he has been responsible for their higher level recruits.
It’s going to be one of those 2. I’m not sure who I’d pick. I feel like Davis deserves it more. He left a good gig at ESPN to join the staff. And I’m sure he could’ve taken some smaller HC jobs but chose to stay loyal. However, not having that HC experience is worrisome. Miller is one of the fastest riding coaches in college basketball but he’s only 38. Is that really old enough to handle the pressures of coaching at UNC?

It's especially troubling that Miller and Wade were caught red-handed on tape.

I enjoyed Boeheim early in his career when he started bringing Syracuse into prominence competing against Big East rivals like Georgetown and St. John's. He had his own Paterno like scandal with Bernie Fine molesting team team managers. He's now turned into an old bitter man with an opinion on everything.

It’s going to be one of those 2. I’m not sure who I’d pick. I feel like Davis deserves it more. He left a good gig at ESPN to join the staff. And I’m sure he could’ve taken some smaller HC jobs but chose to stay loyal. However, not having that HC experience is worrisome. Miller is one of the fastest riding coaches in college basketball but he’s only 38. Is that really old enough to handle the pressures of coaching at UNC?
My brother (a die-hard Duke fan) believes it will be Hubert Davis. Whoever it is, he will be following not only Williams, but also Dean Smith before.

Yikes!

My brother (a die-hard Duke fan) believes it will be Hubert Davis. Whoever it is, he will be following not only Williams, but also Dean Smith before.

Yikes!
Technically Guthridge & Doherty were in bw Smith & Williams. Guthridge actually went to 2 FFs.

Technically Guthridge & Doherty were in bw Smith & Williams. Guthridge actually went to 2 FFs.
That's right! I'm thinking Guthridge, Guthridge... And, now I remember. Doherty, a good player, did not last long, iirc.

Only 3 seasons, but he deserves credit for bringing in the Class with Felton, May, and McCants that helped Roy win his 1st title.

As I recall, McCants was one of the major people that helped blow the academic fraud scandal catch fire, telling ESPN Outside the Lines of the scam that kept him eligible and that Roy knew about it. Bogus classes, tutors writing papers...

As I recall, McCants was one of the major people that helped blow the academic fraud scandal catch fire, telling ESPN Outside the Lines of the scam that kept him eligible and that Roy knew about it. Bogus classes, tutors writing papers...
He was, but you know what, he’s always been an a hole. Even during his playing days, he was a .

Sounds like Hubert Davis will get the job. I’m not sure how this will workout, but he’s the most deserving candidate.