Round 2: #7 Elder(6-5) vs. #2 St. Xavier(9-2)

ElderHSfan02

Elder travels to North Bend on Friday night to take on St. Xavier at RDI Stadium. I think the stadium will be full Friday night. Will Elder fans show up? The PIT was basically empty Friday night mostly just parents of players and students watching. It was probably the poorest fan support from the Elder fan base in 35 years.

I think this should be closer than the first meeting where X won 52-14. It was 24-14 at halftime, and then Alex Kemper broke the game up to start the 2nd half with a 99 yard KO return for TD. Elder's kicker has been better getting the ball in the endzone and doing that would be huge for Elder to not give X good field position all night.

I don't know if any Elder posters will get out of their safe space in the Elder forum to discuss the game.

St. Xavier (9-2)
Lakota West won 31-14
Colerain won 42-7
Olentangy Liberty won 49-0
Penn(Indiana) won 41-10
Moeller won 49-16
Trinity(Kentucky) lost 32-33
La Salle won 49-14
St. Ignatius lost 21-28
Eagle's Landing(Georgia) won 44-14
Playoffs Round 1 Hamilton won 37-7

Elder (6-5)
Covington Catholic(Kentucky) won 28-6
Pickerington Central lost 10-28
Beacon Hill (Virginia) won 47-0
St. Edward lost 14-48
St. Xavier(Kentucky) lost 21-31
St. Xavier lost 14-52
Moeller won 59-58 OT
Roncalli(Indiana) lost 21-35
Football North(Canada) won 49-20
La Salle won 28-21
Playoffs Round 1 Colerain won 55-48 3OT

While it was a great game to watch, I'd be leery of the Elder defense if I am a Panther fan after seeing Colerain's anemic offense play so well in that last game. You could count the long runs on one hand the QB had going into that game and he looked more like a vintage Colerain QB last Friday.
Was sad to see the crowd Elder had in The Pit last week. I know the weather was lousy but it looked more like a JV game.

Hope Purple Nation comes out in strong force Friday.

I think X will pull away in the 3rd quarter and win by about 21 points but this Cardinal will be cheering for Elder!

This game I expect will be well attended by Both Teams Fans. X will win by at least 2 TD’s. Elder has a small O Line and the D will give up at least 40 points. Pboy&ReJect will probably ruin this thread before Thursday!

Agreed that this game will be closer. Elder can score some points, and the X defense has struggled against the deep ball. The first game was neck and neck well into Q2, and Elder bottled up Kellom (who should have been GCL POY BTW) decently until he broke a long run late in the half.
X will have to get to the QB quick and of course limit Ramsey's involvement when Elder has the ball. When X has the ball, just open the holes and give the QB a little time to let the skill guys do their thing. Thinking X by 14-17.

Elder D is so bad, it's just ground hog day talking about their D year after year. X wins easily as nothing Ramsey does can surprise SS for more than a half. X 49 Elder 14

Elder D is so bad, it's just ground hog day talking about their D year after year. X wins easily as nothing Ramsey does can surprise SS for more than a half. X 49 Elder 14

Call me crazy after last week's bad performance, but I think the D will play a lot better this week. Will it be good enough to slow down X? I doubt it. I think if Elder can hold X to 35 or less they have a chance.

Elder will need 12 turnovers to win. Familiarity is only thing keeping this game close till half. Second half X blows the doors off. 41-14

Call me crazy after last week's bad performance, but I think the D will play a lot better this week. Will it be good enough to slow down X? I doubt it. I think if Elder can hold X to 35 or less they have a chance.
What makes you think Elder can hold X to 35 or less?
Would not entirely surprise me, especially if they can use ball control.
Ball Control always more difficult without a Running Game. Elder really doesn’t have much of a running game this year.

Elder needs to somehow figure out how to prevent the big play. The secondary gets beat deep too easily and they don't tackle well. I can't see that changing short of X shooting themselves in the foot by putting the ball on the ground and dropping passes.

Colerain with a vanilla offence racked up almost 500 yards of offence...Elder was pumped to get win 200, that ship has sailed ..ST X 43 Elder 31....

? Ball control on a team that can’t run? Nor play D?
You can control the clock through short passing and timing routes as well- low risk, 4-5 yard passes that get the ball out quick. Keep the X offense off of the field as long as they can, and maybe take a home run shot on a hitch and go or sluggo route. It can be done.

Realistically I think X wins somewhat comfortably, but nothing between GCL schools ever seems comfortable.

I have to think having Peyton in the press box giving Doug play calling advice will be huge. I wouldn't be surprised if Peyton has a couple home run plays up his sleeve for Friday installed this week, or they've been saving.

Control the clock. Stop X on 3rd down. Stop the run. Take away McFarlin make someone else beat them. Send Kickoffs to endzone for touchback - do not give X good field position.
I don’t think Elder can control the clock in this game. I also think X has better Special Teams.

He got Running Back of the Year. Brogan McCaughey Offensive Player of the Year.

Ramsey was the unaminous choice for Player of the Year voted on by the GCL coaches.
Ramsey deserved it but I was a little surprised be was the one they all voted for.
There were several players with big stats this year. I can only guess, but I think they weighted his consistent 3 year Varsity career heavily.
I agree with that