Rock Hall Nominees for the Class of 2022

The song didn't win an Oscar for the Bodyguard because it wasn't written for that movie. It was originally performed by Dolly in a movie starring her, Burt Reynolds and Jim Nabors.

Song was actually a goodbye for Porter Wagner who gave Dolly her big break. If you get a chance check out the story from Ken Burn's country doc about how she told Porter she was leaving his show and this tune was written for him to express her feelings. Very poignant.

Does Dolly open the floodgates for country acts?
Maybe not the floodgates but maybe some that really make sense. Here is who I could see that fit the mold of country acts that have a rock ethos:

• Willie Nelson - Weed cred alone should get him in.
  • Glenn Campbell - Was also considered for membership in the Beach Boys and played as a session man on many rock classics.
  • Kris Kristofferson - Could get in because of Me and Bobby McGee but Sunday Morning Coming Down and Help Me Make It Through the Night are also very rock tunes.
  • Merle Haggard - One of the primary influencer of southern rock.
  • Patsy Cline - Tough woman who could belt out a tune.

I'd have to think not just Campbell but much of the Wrecking Crew would be in. Campbell was one of the top 2 or 3 guitar players in the world so it's kind of weird he's not in already

I'd have to think not just Campbell but much of the Wrecking Crew would be in. Campbell was one of the top 2 or 3 guitar players in the world so it's kind of weird he's not in already
Hal Blaine I think is the only Wrecking Crew member in but not sure. I do know a lot of folks are pushing for Carol Kaye, that is probably the biggest miss form the Wrecking crew.

So the Ken Burns doc on country was on PBS last night and they covered the '70s and the rise of Outlaw Country. Many of these acts fit the Rock mold and should be in the Rock Hall as they do cover both genres. To my original list I would also add Waylon Jennings, guy had a really sparse Americana rock sound going on and also told the Nashville establishment to basically F-off. Willie did the same thing. Best thing though was they mentioned how the below band use to hang out at the Nashville studio all the Outlaw guys recorded at, I thought the name was a goof but googled it and found them to be a real band>

lf

So the Ken Burns doc on country was on PBS last night and they covered the '70s and the rise of Outlaw Country. Many of these acts fit the Rock mold and should be in the Rock Hall as they do cover both genres. To my original list I would also add Waylon Jennings, guy had a really sparse Americana rock sound going on and also told the Nashville establishment to basically F-off. Willie did the same thing. Best thing though was they mentioned how the below band use to hang out at the Nashville studio all the Outlaw guys recorded at, I thought the name was a goof but googled it and found them to be a real band>

lf
I've got the Old Testaments & New Revelations CD somewhere. Might have to go find it.

KInky is also an author. I've read most of his stuff and particularly liked Armadillos and Old Lace.