Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Nominees

I guess Nickelback and Fallout Boy should be in the rock hall too. Maybe Blink 182 while we’re at it

The past 25+ years have been a slow agonizing death for the genre with very few good bands and albums emerging and a ton of crap, the Foo Fighters last interesting song came out in 1997
Man this is spot on.

I have a problem with pop, rap, and modern country where many stars are "made." They do not play an instrument, they do not write songs, they are created through an image. There is a new rapper every 15 seconds because it is easy coupled with an image and dumb white suburban kids eat it up. Same with modern country. Get some decent looking young male to sing about his truck and drinking beer and you got yourself a hit. It is difficult to learn an instrument and make good music. Especially for a band, it takes work and practice and talent. For others like Tina Turner she had incredible talent. I'm not a huge Iron Maiden fan but they had talent. Kate Bush? Pig vomit.

Last edited:
and modern country where many stars are "made." They do not play an instrument, they do write songs, they are created through an image.

Mainstream country music is awful in every possible way. The real country music is found in the Americana/Outlaw Country genres. Far more diverse and pay homage to those who built the foundation they stand on.

Man this is spot on.

I have a problem with pop, rap, and modern country where many stars are "made." They do not play an instrument, they do write songs, they are created through an image. There is a new rapper every 15 seconds because it is easy coupled with an image and dumb white suburban kids eat it up. Same with modern country. Get some decent looking young male to sing about his truck and drinking beer and you got yourself a hit. It is difficult to learn an instrument and make good music. Especially for a band, it takes work and practice and talent. For others like Tina Turner she had incredible talent. I'm not a huge Iron Maiden fan but they had talent. Kate Bush? Pig vomit.
Iron maiden is very talented....I really just started to listen to them the last ten yrs or so

Mainstream country music is awful in every possible way. The real country music is found in the Americana/Outlaw Country genres. Far more diverse and pay homage to those who built the foundation they stand on.
Today's Country is pretty much Top 40 stuff, most of it is crap.

Man this is spot on.

I have a problem with pop, rap, and modern country where many stars are "made." They do not play an instrument, they do write songs, they are created through an image. There is a new rapper every 15 seconds because it is easy coupled with an image and dumb white suburban kids eat it up. Same with modern country. Get some decent looking young male to sing about his truck and drinking beer and you got yourself a hit. It is difficult to learn an instrument and make good music. Especially for a band, it takes work and practice and talent. For others like Tina Turner she had incredible talent. I'm not a huge Iron Maiden fan but they had talent. Kate Bush? Pig vomit.
Pretty much agree with you, but I could argue that Elvis didn't play an instrument, or write songs, but he obviously belongs there.

Why not put the Partridge Family in? They probably sold more records than most of these acts. And their songs were performed by members of The Wrecking Crew, who were one of the finest groups of musicians ever assembled.

Pretty much agree with you, but I could argue that Elvis didn't play an instrument, or write songs, but he obviously belongs there.

Why not put the Partridge Family in? They probably sold more records than most of these acts. And their songs were performed by members of The Wrecking Crew, who were one of the finest groups of musicians ever assembled.
Dude could sing.

I always use Kid Rock as an example. He is the son of a very wealthy area car deal (Ritchie Ford). He spent his early years doing Beastie Boy covers at local bars. He looks like a rat and is built like $chit. He cannot carry a tune and his lyrics are written in crayon. He simply kept changing and tweaking himself until he figured out a niche that worked and bingo - a star is born.

Partridge Family belongs if Kate Bush belongs.

Dude could sing.

I always use Kid Rock as an example. He is the son of a very wealthy area car deal (Ritchie Ford). He spent his early years doing Beastie Boy covers at local bars. He looks like a rat and is built like $chit. He cannot carry a tune and his lyrics are written in crayon. He simply kept changing and tweaking himself until he figured out a niche that worked and bingo - a star is born.

Partridge Family belongs if Kate Bush belongs.
Monkees?

I saw a Plain Dealer headline yesterday to the effect the the Rock and Roll HOF was redefining our outdated conceptions of what rock and roll really is. What a condescending bunch of crap.

Not knocking them, they belong in the HOF as much or more than most of these.
I was just kidding. But, you're right, the HOF is becoming a joke. Why not the Monkees? And what about the Archies? ;)

The Monkees were known as the "pre-fab four" for a reason.

James Brown is a charter member of the R&R HOF. So is Sam Cooke. These aren't rock and rollers.

Rock is a fusion of country too, which had no "western" to it originally. t was southern folk, which was Scot/Irish folk. Some would ignore half the roots of it for being from "black" music. They're all fusions, including Soul and Jazz. You won't find those in their American form back on the home continent. Certainly not in deep western Africa, the source of slaves.

In essense, aren't most of these complaints about the name of the building? According to their website, the nominees are chosen by "rock" people. I'm in no position to narrow their definition of what that is. Writer/performers like Carol King carried the modern music industry for a time. Criminy, Stevie (ooh baby ooh I'm falling asleep while singin) Nicks is in there twice. If her than Carol King is LONG overdue as a performer.

Last edited:
One of my favorite bands from the late 60s-early 70s was 3 Dog Night. Have always thought they belonged in the HOF.
Some of my favorite bands over my lifetime:
Grade school: Monkees, Herman's Hermits, Beatles, Kinks, Paul Revere and the Raiders.
Grade school to high school: Three Dog Night, Chicago, Deep Purple, Grand Funk.
High school to college and beyond: Neil Young, CSN&Y, The Allman Brothers Band, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Poco, Eagles, Led Zeppelin, Montrose, Queen. Many others...just a partial list.

Tastes change over the years. Now I'm starting to get into a little bluegrass. It started when someone on yappi posted a video of Billy Strings and I went down the youtube rabbit hole.

I would love to find a way to beat the system so that we could somehow all conspire to overwhelm the fan voting system and vault David Cassidy or Bobby Sherman into the hall, ala the guys that screwed the hedge funds on Game Stop stock. Unfortunately, their panels actually make all of the final votes.
I vote for Donny Osmond!

I got 4 of the 6 correct, here is the list:

Foo Fighters
Carole King
Tina Turner
Todd Rungren
Jay Z
Go Gos
Foo Fighters and Go Gos stick out, but I guess I see why FF are in. I only know like 2 Go Gos songs, though. Mainly due to them being before my time and them not having many songs that have withstood the test of time

Foo Fighters and Go Gos stick out, but I guess I see why FF are in. I only know like 2 Go Gos songs, though. Mainly due to them being before my time and them not having many songs that have withstood the test of time

While not really my thing I can see why the Go Gos got in. They started as a punk outfit and kept that ethos going even when they moved over to a more "pop" sound. They were the 1st all female act that did it all including playing their instruments and writing their own tunes.