Restaurant chains that are no more

Our local Quiznos closed years ago. Really loved those sandwiches.
I loved Quiznos and got to know a couple of owners. They got screwed by their corporate office that sought to compete with Subway who was making $5 lettuce subs and forced the franchisees to keep prices down while using superior and more expensive ingredients.

I loved Quiznos and got to know a couple of owners. They got screwed by their corporate office that sought to compete with Subway who was making $5 lettuce subs and forced the franchisees to keep prices down while using superior and more expensive ingredients.
The chicken carb was my favorite hot sub of all time.

Ponderosa - #1=sirloin, #2=rib eye, #3=chopped steak. That was the whole menu.

Burger Chef - Many in NW OHIO before any McD's. How do you screw that up?

I've been to that Arthur Treacher's in Cuyahoga Falls. I wish they were still around.

Big Boy is still around

Isaly's - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isaly's

Red Barn - I remember one in Sandusky.

L & K - Seems like they were all over NW Ohio.

Friendly's - Used to be several around. Now all in the NE states.

Dutch Pantry -Two remain in central PA. In NW Ohio Fricker's bought the empty buildings and moved in.
From Wikipedia :pittsburgh residents regarded Isaly's so highly that the company was and still is mistakenly considered a Pittsburgh original.

This is true. Until I saw this just now I always thought it was a Western Pa. Company. We had one very near the the home I grew up in. Remember the Klondike bars (thicker chocolate coating then currently) and the fountain cherry cokes.

Hah! on all three accounts.

I have a soft spot in my heart for Ponderosa. We would often go there after church and the ability to make a suicide pop, grab as many wing-dings, and create your own sundae was the stuff of legends. My siblings and I musta looked like feral animals coming through the door. Plus we just did not go out to eat often so it was always a big deal. They still have several in Illinois and Wisconsin maybe? I'm sure if I went today or had a time machine I'd wonder why the heck I loved it so much?
Pondo was the old version of Golden Corral. All you can eat food and salad bar, and we'll throw in a steak for a couple bucks more.

We go to the one in Cuyahoga Falls about once a month. The food is good but we try to patronize it as much as possible because we don't want it to go out of business. Glad to see they re-opened Garfield Hts store.

We go to the one in Cuyahoga Falls about once a month. The food is good but we try to patronize it as much as possible because we don't want it to go out of business. Glad to see they re-opened Garfield Hts store.
Oddly, one of the best things at Arthur Treacher's is the chicken (better then Village Inn or Belgrade's but not as good as Hopocan!)

I went a lot to Milich's Village Inn growing up. Doesn't see the same since the Milich family gave it up.

Oddly, one of the best things at Arthur Treacher's is the chicken (better then Village Inn or Belgrade's but not as good as Hopocan!)

I went a lot to Milich's Village Inn growing up. Doesn't see the same since the Milich family gave it up.
Ironically, I don't like fish. I only get chicken when I go to Arthur Treacher's.

Was trying to find a video or audio clip of the original commercials, where Arthur himself would, in his imitable Jeeves accent, utter the tagline "That's AW-thah Treach-ah's". No luck, but I did locate a 1976 ad with George Dzundza (Law & Order, No Way Out) playing an amused customer who somehow ends up with the pitchman's mic.

Anyone remember Elby's chain? Don't recall ever going there, think they were affiliated with one of the large Shoney/Big Boy franchisees, the Elias Brothers. I just found the former location of one in Reynoldsburg by accident, piqued my curiosity.

1678895413986.png

Minuteman Pizza
Ci Ci's Pizza
Quizno's
Schlotzky's
Stopwatch Pizza
Lonestar
Ponderosa
Frisch's Big Boy in Gahanna, always had a great breakfast buffet

Do white folks get the 'special sauce' unless they look like they slept inside of and got dressed in the Goodwill drop box ?

Thanks fer nuthin', Slim Shady