Regional Final Predictions (SW Ohio)

cincysokker

Down to 8 left in each division. Who wins and by how much?

Division I

Centerville @ St. X

Division II

Summit Country Day @ Tippecanoe

Division III

Botkins @ Mariemont

Of these teams, I have only seen Mariemont play, so I'll only note some trivia:

DI: Both Centerville and St. Xavier are gunning for their second state titles. Interestingly, their respective championships were won in consecutive seasons...more than 35 years ago (St. X in 1983 and Centerville in 1984). Centerville has been back to the final four many times since then, while X has been back a handful of times.

DII: Not sure how often the winners of the past two titles face each other in a regional final, but that's the case with Summit Country Day and Tippecanoe. Summit started the season 0-2-1 with players out due to quarantine. Since then, they have won every game (17 or 18 of them), including avenging an early 2020 regular season and unusual 2019 sectional loss to Wyoming with a 2-1 overtime regional semifinal win over the Cowboys. Tippecanoe beat that same Wyoming team in the regional finals in pks on its way to an undefeated 2019 state championship. With its continued undefeated streak through 2020 (now maybe at 45), Tippecanoe is climbing the state charts. Seeking to become an unusual back-to-back undefeated state champion (maybe the 4th time in Ohio boys history). Summit continues its battle with St. Ignatius for most state titles (they may be tied at the moment).

DIII: Mariemont and Botkins met in the 2019 regionals. Botkins was having a magical undefeated season maybe winning its first district title...on its way to its first regional championship and a trip to the state semifinals. They defeated Mariemont 1-0 in the regional semi (and Seven Hills 1-0 in the regional final). Both teams returns most of their most important players. Botkins greatly strengthened its schedule this season at the expense of its pristine regular season record, but it appears to have done its job in getting the team back to the regional final. I can personally attest to Mariemont being a much stronger team this year (Madeira beat Mariemont 2-0 in the final regular season game of 2019; lost 1-0 in the final regular season game of 2020). The Warriors have gone 20-0, and have only been behind in two games all season (incidentally, both were to CCD -- where they overcame 1-0 deficit with 12 minutes left to win 2-1...and came back from down 2-0 in the sectional final to even the game with 6 minutes left and win 3-2 in overtime). Mariemont's attack is much stronger this year compared to last year, led by a couple of all-state caliber 4-year starters, but also aided by a much improved supporting cast. I would be surprised if Mariemont doesn't continue its run, but Botkins will need another outstanding defensive game like last year to get back to the state semifinals. Both teams are seeking their second regional title...and first trip to the state final.

With its continued undefeated streak through 2020 (now maybe at 45), Tippecanoe is climbing the state charts. Seeking to become an unusual back-to-back undefeated state champion (maybe the 4th time in Ohio boys history).

You don't happen to know any others, do you?

You don't happen to know any others, do you?

Lol! How are you, ammtd34?! (I say you and your team cost my boys a state championship on the way to yours!) Two very competitive regional finals (unfortunately, I can’t call 2001 a great game; you guys played too well.)

At the half Ignatius has a 4-1 lead over Jackson. Marco Reback (sp) has a hat trick for the Cats, two on free kicks, the other on a penalty kick. Spicer added the fourth goal. Let me take a minute to say how good the Ignatius soccer broadcasting team is. I mean really good. Akso let me say that Jackson has a beautiful grass soccer field or pitch.

#1 nationally ranked Ignatius futbol Cats edge the Jackson Polar Bears closer to extinction by a 6-1 score. Ignatius will go to meet Medina on Wednesday. Coincidentally Medina also won today by the same score. Fifth straight year Ignatius has met Medica in the state semifinal, with each school winning twice. New Albany reported to win its region. Winner of St. X v. Centerville TBD.

Congrats to 21-0 Wheelersburg on their come from behind second half 2-1 over Grandview Heights. I believe Wheelersburg is in its first final four.

Mooney and Ottawa Hills were both convincing winners in the northern half of the draw.

Awaiting the winner of Mariemont-Botkins to complete the D3 state semifinals.

It’s been all Mariemont. Both goals off long throws (one on a bike!). Game is streaming live at icrctv.com.
4-0 final for Mariemont. Facing Wheelersburg in the state semifinals, I'm pretty sure this is the first time two unbeaten-untied teams are meeting in the D3 semifinals. Very unusual and hopefully will be a great game.

#1 nationally ranked Ignatius futbol Cats edge the Jackson Polar Bears closer to extinction by a 6-1 score. Ignatius will go to meet Medina on Wednesday. Coincidentally Medina also won today by the same score. Fifth straight year Ignatius has met Medica in the state semifinal, with each school winning twice. New Albany reported to win its region. Winner of St. X v. Centerville TBD.
St X 4-1 Centerville