• Hoban wins a tight one

Votes: 15 23.4%
  • Hudson wins big

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hudson wins a tight ine

Votes: 13 20.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Averaged 12-13 passes a game, but I seem to remember them unleashing Clark and Hamm during a couple of post-season games. I’m not saying they put it up 40 times a night, but especially with Hamm they let it rip.
Tyrrell has always liked to take his share of aggressive shots in the passing game, especially in the playoffs. They were incapable of it last year, no one had to worry about the ball going over their head. This year is different, Long throws a very pretty ball and has been accurate for the most part.

Averaged 12-13 passes a game, but I seem to remember them unleashing Clark and Hamm during a couple of post-season games. I’m not saying they put it up 40 times a night, but especially with Hamm they let it rip.
Yes. They perhaps went deep (let it rip) more in certain playoff games or maybe were a more aggressive with their passing approach in certain playoff games, but in 20 post-season games Hamm exceeded 13 attempts five times, usually in close games.

2018: vs. Mayfield (15)

2019 vs Mayfield (25)

2019 vs. Massillon (19)

2020 vs. Benedictine (18)

2020 vs. Avon (20)

Clark never exceeded 13 attempts in a playoff game in 2016. I'd have to check on 2015.

Yes. They perhaps went deep (let it rip) more in certain playoff games or maybe were a more aggressive with their passing approach in certain playoff games, but in 20 post-season games Hamm exceeded 13 attempts five times, usually in close games.

2019 vs Mayfield (25)

2019 vs. Massillon (19)

2020 vs. Avon (20)

Clark never exceeded 13 attempts in a playoff game in 2016. I'd have to check on 2015.
Those 2019 playoff games you listed were by necessity. By that time, Trayanum and Caden Clark were both hurt, and they were really searching offensively. But, usually when Hoban throws the ball in the playoffs, they don't do it with dinking and dunking in mind, they're looking for big plays. They've thrown at least one long TD pass in every state championship game that they've won, and Hamm had multiple TD throws in all 3 of his championship games, 10 total.

Those 2019 playoff games you listed were by necessity. By that time, Trayanum and Caden Clark were both hurt, and they were really searching offensively. But, usually when Hoban throws the ball in the playoffs, they don't do it with dinking and dunking in mind, they're looking for big plays. They've thrown at least one long TD pass in every state championship game that they've won, and Hamm had multiple TD throws in all 3 of his championship games, 10 total.
Right. As noted, while they typically don’t throw at a high frequency in the post season, they are often more aggressive with those throws, taking shots, etc. I didn’t articulate my point very well.

Pretty simple approach. Hoban QB has the green light to throw if the safety's come up to help stop the run and they go man to man on the receivers. Otherwise it will be Sperling all night. Saw a lot of wildcat last week so I wonder if Sperling can throw?

Lol. Hoban probably has 10 D1 kids on their roster. They’re the obvious favorite. They’ve just been lying in wait sleepwalking through their draw. Hudson’s going to see a whole different type of athlete Friday. I expect Hoban to throw all their weapons at them early in an effort to get a lead fast. Think opening omaha beach scene in saving private ryan. They’ll need to get their feet underneath them fast and The corners better show up again.
Hoban fans, how is Jay Crable doing, fitting in, contributing? What do you see for him at the next level?

This Hudson senior class has been together and won together for a long time. They say it's generational group, even though I'd contend the group with Gedeon was much better.
The problem is, they now start playing the teams like Hoban and Massillon that are Academies, not high schools. We all know Hoban has kids from West Virginia, Michigan, Illinois and even California. Massillon keeps it more local, but they do what they do and bring kids from outside their area.

This isn't a private vs public thing, it's a program thing. And, unfortunately, I don't see how this Hudson team being able to take down one of the Academy teams. Just like the Gedeon group lost to St Eds Academy.

This Hudson senior class has been together and won together for a long time. They say it's generational group, even though I'd contend the group with Gedeon was much better.
The problem is, they now start playing the teams like Hoban and Massillon that are Academies, not high schools. We all know Hoban has kids from West Virginia, Michigan, Illinois and even California. Massillon keeps it more local, but they do what they do and bring kids from outside their area.

This isn't a private vs public thing, it's a program thing. And, unfortunately, I don't see how this Hudson team being able to take down one of the Academy teams. Just like the Gedeon group lost to St Eds Acade never played St. Ed’s. That was the ‘14 team.

Gedeon never played Eds. That was the '14 team. Wadsworth knocked the '11 team out of the playoffs when he was a junior and Whitmer in '12 his senior year. Here we go with this crap, you sound like a Hudson mom. How about you enjoy the next 2 days, then have a great time watching this group compete their a** off Friday night.

Last edited:
Pretty simple approach. Hoban QB has the green light to throw if the safety's come up to help stop the run and they go man to man on the receivers. Otherwise it will be Sperling all night. Saw a lot of wildcat last week so I wonder if Sperling can throw?
He threw a 27 yard TD vs STVM last year on a HB pass. I wouldn't be surprised if the now popular pop or jump pass out of the wildcat has at least been put in.

Hoban fans, how is Jay Crable doing, fitting in, contributing? What do you see for him at the next level?
Nice article on his transition from earlier this season. Like Cougarfan said, he's more impactful on D, but has definitely been an asset on offense. He has around 40 catches, almost 600 yds and 4 TD's, and has been a physical presence blocking in the run game.

Gedeon never played Eds. That was the '14 team. Wadsworth knocked the '11 team out of the playoffs when he was a junior and Whitmer in '12 his senior year. Here we go with this crap, you sound like a Hudson mom. How about you enjoy the next 2 days, then have a great time watching this group compete their a** off Friday night.

This isn't a private vs public thing, it's a program thing. And, unfortunately, I don't see how this Hudson team being able to take down one of the Academy teams. Just like the Gedeon group lost to St Eds Academy.
Hudson mom? No picture? Too bad! The Hudson football people I know don't talk like this... " generational" (what does that even mean).

They are about: No excuses. Compete. Private vs. Public??-f that. Play hard and see what happens. You'll not get any excuses from Gough, win or lose. The guy has been involved in Hudson football as a player or coach since the 3rd grade.
Hudson was given little chance the last 2 weeks.

In my mind, the game comes down to 2 things.

1. Who will be more physical/depth
2. Mistakes.

For the second straight week I'll write it - don't sleep on this Hudson defense. They will make stops - they have all season.

But, can they score?? Hudson is very well-drilled in their offensive approach - snap the ball every five seconds if they can. It's tough to adjust to when you're not used to it. Hopefully they stick with what they've won with. Gonna be tough (obviously) but, Hoban is beatable this season. Nothing against the kids from Hoban, but, this fan is rooting for the home-grown public school kids. ROLLHUD!

For the second straight week I'll write it - don't sleep on this Hudson defense. They will make stops - they have all season.

But, can they score?? Hudson is very well-drilled in their offensive approach - snap the ball every five seconds if they can. It's tough to adjust to when you're not used to it. Hopefully they stick with what they've won with. Gonna be tough (obviously) but, Hoban is beatable this season. Nothing against the kids from Hoban, but, this fan is rooting for the home-grown public school kids. ROLLHUD!
So Hudson is closed enrollment?

2019 vs Mayfield (25)

2019 vs. Massillon (19)

2020 vs. Avon (20)

Thanks for the numbers!

I didn’t take that original post as an excuse. He didn’t say Hudson wouldn’t show up. But the privates have huge recruiting advantages that are undeniable. The side of the road is littered with undefeated publics that got completely mauled by top privates in the playoffs. Hudson 2014 team was the perfect example. 13-0 (beat Mentor twice) and lost 42-14 to Ed’s. And it wasn’t even that close.

same year Nordonia was 14-0 and lost by 35 to LaSalle in D2.

Barberton had a “once in a generation” team in 2017, was 12-0, and then lost to Hoban by 30.

Highland this year as another example.

so it’s easy to play macho before the game, but those examples show the problem. And if you don’t think it’s a problem, then let’s just have one weight class in wrestling.

I didn’t take that original post as an excuse. He didn’t say Hudson wouldn’t show up. But the privates have huge recruiting advantages that are undeniable. The side of the road is littered with undefeated publics that got completely mauled by top privates in the playoffs. Hudson 2014 team was the perfect example. 13-0 (beat Mentor twice) and lost 42-14 to Ed’s. And it wasn’t even that close.

Barberton had a “once in a generation” team in 2017, was 12-0, and then lost to Hoban by 30.

so it’s easy to play macho before the game, but those examples show the problem. And if you don’t think it’s a problem, then let’s just have one weight class in wrestling.
Amen.

Geez - sorry I got the Gedeon timing wrong. I'm glad others, like trojan, see my post for what it is and don't play the "I'm a tough guy" role about this BS.

Will Hudson play their off? Yep. And they have a shot to win. But it takes a senior class to come in and be somewhat 'generational' for this to happen. And most times even then they don't have the depth to compete for a state championship.

Geez - sorry I got the Gedeon timing wrong. I'm glad others, like trojan, see my post for what it is and don't play the "I'm a tough guy" role about this BS.

Will Hudson play their off? Yep. And they have a shot to win. But it takes a senior class to come in and be somewhat 'generational' for this to happen. And most times even then they don't have the depth to compete for a state championship.

You forgot about beating Ignatius that year. They are private right? Mentor has shown the way on how to compete consistently with private schools.
Solid youth program. Create a program/experience that removes the need for great players to go elsewhere. Consistency of scheme from middle school up. Embrace 2 sport kids. Top notch staff.
Plus you can’t have a bunch of people around the program thinking you can’t compete.

Last edited:
You forgot about beating Ignatius that year. They are private right? Mentor has shown the way on how to compete consistently with private schools.
Solid youth program. Create a program/experience that removes the need for great players to go elsewhere. Consistency of scheme from middle school up. Embrace 2 sport kids. Top notch staff.
Plus you can’t have a bunch of people around the program thinking you can’t compete.
Yep. Hudson had a very good win over a 6-4 Ignatius team in the playoffs. That Ignatius team also lost to St Ed by 30 that year. Which just proves my point that the top privates in a given year can amass a roster that makes for a very unlevel playing field.

Agree with your other points on things Hudson does very well to compete. And they do make a difference.

I really like this Hudson team. It was during the Wadsworth game that had me believing this team could make a deep playoff run. If the special teams can at least hold their own, I think Friday could be a competitive game.

Great season thus far. Great opportunity Friday night.

Let it rip Explorers!!!

You got an amen from Squintz for your post. Start a thread in June, or drive to Columbus and petition the OHSAA for separation if it's that big a deal to you. I think posting about "academies" the Thursday before the game is lame. It takes away from the players. I had to go back and reread my post because I didn't recall using the word excuse. I didn't, but I do think it's crap to bring it up now. Also I don't think your Nordonia, Barberton, and Highland examples are very good ones. There's plenty of examples going the other way.......plenty. I'm thinking about changing my handle to Macho Man.

Last edited:
Yep. Hudson had a very good win over a 6-4 Ignatius team in the playoffs. That Ignatius team also lost to St Ed by 30 that year. Which just proves my point that the top privates in a given year can amass a roster that makes for a very unlevel playing field.

Agree with your other points on things Hudson does very well to compete. And they do make a difference.

I really like this Hudson team. It was during the Wadsworth game that had me believing this team could make a deep playoff run. If the special teams can at least hold their own, I think Friday could be a competitive game.

Great season thus far. Great opportunity Friday night.

Let it rip Explorers!!!
Iggy had 4 D1 players on that team, a future starting QB at BC and 2 players currently in the NFL. It was pretty fun beating that academy.

I agree with you for the most part but most public schools don't the enrollment size of Mentor.

I don’t know about “generational,” but these guys are one unit. They aren’t riding one guys legs or arm or hands in this deep playoff run.

the QB is definitely a big cog, but I think the defense as a unit is the best part of this team.

can’t wait!

Like my knights in this one by 2 scores. Built for this type of weather and peaking at the right time. Looking forward to seeing Hudson's offense go against this D. Best of luck to Hudson and all those who brave the weather for their teams. I'll be watching this one by the fire.

I have doubted Hudson now against Walsh and Riverside. The Explorers are obviously good and peeking at the right time. With that said, I will take Hoban by 21. Hope I’m wrong again this week.

Good luck to both teams.