• Walsh by 1-7

Votes: 21 37.5%
  • Walsh by 8-16

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Walsh by 17+

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Tbh wouldn’t say NDCL, St. Charles, MLC, SVSM are anything to write home about this year, either. But I agree no regression.

Agreed. My point was to merely address the position that there had been a regression. They consistently put up a large number of points all season long, other than in the Hudson game.

The outcome of the game has 0 to do with how you present your posts.
How I present my posts? It most certainly does....like I said we will see Friday night what the Walsh offense does....I don't see them scoring 34 pts again or anywhere close....more like 10-13 pts, but I could be wrong

So the big question might be which unit had better development throughout the season - Hoban's D or Walsh's O?

Hoban's offense is going to score points - Sperling is tough to stop for a whole night. Can Walsh score enough to stay on top?

How I present my posts? It most certainly does....like I said we will see Friday night what the Walsh offense does....I don't see them scoring 34 pts again or anywhere close....more like 10-13 pts, but I could be wrong

If you set the Walsh points scored O/U at 13.5 - You'd get a lot of action on the over. You should start a bookie business.

So the big question might be which unit had better development throughout the season - Hoban's D or Walsh's O?

Hoban's offense is going to score points - Sperling is tough to stop for a whole night. Can Walsh score enough to stay on top?
1st I heard of and saw Lamar Sperling was last year v Hudson in the playoffs. He was the best player on the field among many many good players. Really special. Having said that there is a scenario Walsh slows him down and the QB has to do something. If that scenario were to occur it could unravel for Hoban. Hoban's plan has to be, get the lead early and continue to run the ball.....right? Or just keep giving the ball to Sperling and eventually he'll pop one? I'd probably stick with the latter. Walsh can do a lot of things well. Teams like that also well coached can hang around along time in football games. If it's close and Hoban get's tight, maybe they panic a bit and turn to the QB for plays. It could go sideways at that point. Maybe not likely but I wouldn't be surprised either.

"Walsh didn't score 70 on Rogers, Saint Charles, and MLC - The offense has regressed. Also, those teams are NOT Hoban."

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
I never said they regressed, just that their opponents have been less than stellar and lower division, so of course they are gonna have the most points scored against them. Plus Benedictine HAS regressed on the defensive side of the ball, so the domination by Walsh is impressive but nothing to hang your hat on.

I agree with stacking the box against the Hoban offense, but with a twist mix up the fronts as well - 4, 5, even 6 DL on the LOS - that is of course if they have numbers to do so. Also, I would cut the Hoban OL and just make piles and make it Sperling v. the Walsh LBs and S.

I never said they regressed, just that their opponents have been less than stellar and lower division, so of course they are gonna have the most points scored against them. Plus Benedictine HAS regressed on the defensive side of the ball, so the domination by Walsh is impressive but nothing to hang your hat on.

Was not mentioning you, per se. Grind for 9 was the initial poster who said WJ's offense has regressed.

Apologies if you thought that was a shot at you.

Walsh 28 votes to win.
Hoban 26 votes to win.

Interesting. Something tells me people don't actually believe that ? and are rooting Walsh in.

Hoban... the big, bad empire ?

Heading to the game tonight and looking for a slobber knocker. Walsh has impressed me all season, losing only twice and both in OT to Hoban and Benny. Rivalry game and Hoban appears to be 1 dimensional with Sperling and a great D. Do not be surprised if you see some prominent players for Hoban going both ways in certain packages. Special teams will also have more seasoned and starters than usual. Terrell will now play his best players both ways as needed. Through the season this doesn't happen as most games the starters sit a lot of the second half. I also wouldn't be surprised if QB is also given the green light early to try a shot over the top. Hoban keeps if very generic all season and will open it up more as needed.
good luck to both teams.

Was not mentioning you, per se. Grind for 9 was the initial poster who said WJ's offense has regressed.

Apologies if you thought that was a shot at you.
No worries, didn't mean to be combatant

Walsh 28 votes to win.
Hoban 26 votes to win.

Interesting. Something tells me people don't actually believe that ? and are rooting Walsh in.

Hoban... the big, bad empire ?
The story of 3 wins in as many years and two years later going to states is also effecting people. People think Walsh is a team of destiny.

Heading to the game tonight and looking for a slobber knocker. Walsh has impressed me all season, losing only twice and both in OT to Hoban and Benny. Rivalry game and Hoban appears to be 1 dimensional with Sperling and a great D. Do not be surprised if you see some prominent players for Hoban going both ways in certain packages. Special teams will also have more seasoned and starters than usual. Terrell will now play his best players both ways as needed. Through the season this doesn't happen as most games the starters sit a lot of the second half. I also wouldn't be surprised if QB is also given the green light early to try a shot over the top. Hoban keeps if very generic all season and will open it up more as needed.
good luck to both teams.

Wondering if the weather will keep some people home tonight. Big rivalry, chance to go the Final 4, and 2 teams that know each other extremely well.

This game has all the potential in the world to be one for the books. Similar to the 2008 WJ vs. SVSM game at Green Street with "The King" on the sidelines. SVSM stuffs WJ at the 1 yard line as time expires.

I would imagine @clarkgriswold knows that one pretty well!

Weather will keep a lot of folks at home and may be a big part of the story.

My key match ups>

• Walsh OL v Hoban DL: Let's face it, QB play is not the strength for either team so if the defenses know the run is primarily coming then whoever wins this battle will probably win the game.
  • Safety Play: To me what sets apart the various levels of football is the play of the safeties. At the HS level what separates the good from the average is the ability to prevent the HR type TD run with the correct pursuit angle. If points become difficult to attain then a long TD run may be the difference between winning and losing.
  • Coaches: On the field many think Alexander has an advantage over Tyrell but there is much more to coaching deep in the playoffs than Xs & Os. Things like practicing in/for cold weather, managing player distractions, and managing the sideline.

Wondering if the weather will keep some people home tonight. Big rivalry, chance to go the Final 4, and 2 teams that know each other extremely well.

This game has all the potential in the world to be one for the books. Similar to the 2008 WJ vs. SVSM game at Green Street with "The King" on the sidelines. SVSM stuffs WJ at the 1 yard line as time expires.

I would imagine @clarkgriswold knows that one pretty well!
That was painful! I was torn on that one being a grad of SVSM with a kid at WJ! I'm still shaking my head as why the Warriors gave it to the small back there.

I think an important factor is which of the QBs make the fewer mistakes. They've both had some real head shakers at times this year.

Can Walsh slow down the Hoban run game? If they do, they have a chance. If not, I think Hoban grinds on them all night, wears them down and pulls away late, keeping the Walsh offense off of the field for much of the night.

That was painful! I was torn on that one being a grad of SVSM with a kid at WJ! I'm still shaking my head as why the Warriors gave it to the small back there.
Walsh actually went unbalanced with 2 big ten Tackle recruits to one side, with a big ten RB recruit in the backfield and ran the ball with a different back to the short side. Only needed 1 yard.

Walsh actually went unbalanced with 2 big ten Tackle recruits to one side, with a big ten RB recruit in the backfield and ran the ball with a different back to the short side. Only needed 1 yard.
Yep, Smith and McShane. I also remember the SVSM kid coming around the end and keeping Dehaney from making a second effort. It was the Wlsh equivalent of "Metcalf up the middle." A head scratcher 13 years later. Here's hoping for no last play head scratchers tonight.

Horror film here-

Yep, Smith and McShane. I also remember the SVSM kid coming around the end and keeping Dehaney from making a second effort. It was the Wlsh equivalent of "Metcalf up the middle." A head scratcher 13 years later. Here's hoping for no last play head scratchers tonight.

Horror film here-

There was so so many people at that game. True "Standing Room Only" environment. Slobber knocker, old-school ball!

good luck to both teams.

These are all great points...over the years i havent seen any coaching staff better at making adjustments than hoban. I would suspect that if Walsh has the same gameplan as the first game that hoban will be ready.

The hoban D has progressed SUBSTANTIALLY over the season. The weaknesses in the secondary are not completely eliminated, but much iimproved.

the hoban qb has improved a bit over the season, and has put in some good runs in the later part of the year, and thrown a few completions a game, both of which are just enough to keep a defense off balance on the sperling runs. throw in a misdirection play for good measure.

Hoban D will have a takeaway and rest of team will be solid. Will be close early, but Hoban wears Walsh down in second half. Hoban by 14+. Great season for walsh but it ends tonight.

Final Prediction:

WJ 24
Hoban 21

Walsh Jesuit gets to their 1st Final 4 since 1999.

WJ is 0-3 in their last 3 regional final games... 2004, 2008, and 2011. 1 Benedictine loss, 2 Aurora losses.

Streak/s ends tonight. Somewhere, Gerry Rardin will be smiling.

I like Hoban in this one, because they’ve been through the pressure, a playoff game brings. Walsh has made fantastic strides, the last couple of years, and I would love to see them pull this one out. That being said, they haven’t been this far in some time, while the Knights have players and more importantly, a coach who has plenty of playoff experience. I believe the coaching staff will be the difference, in what looks to be a very good ballgame.

I've been to some brutally cold Hoban playoff games in recent years, none colder than the New Philly game at Northwest in 2016, although the Brush game the next year was pretty darn close. Their style of play more than fits those types of elements, but I don't think weather is a factor tonight. Low 30's with virtually no wind is more than manageable for offenses.