Region 1 Championship: St. Edward (12-1) vs. Medina (13-0)

Who wins?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bkmk1

The Bee(zzzzz) vs. the Eagle(zzzzz). 35-34 5 OT'z. This is THE game. Fired up! Let the banter begin. Thoughts on where they may play this game? Byers?

Last edited:

Going to be a great game as it was last year. Anyone want to guess where the game may will be played? Byers or Brunswick?

Going to be a great game as it was last year. Anyone want to guess where the game may will be played? Byers or Brunswick?
(Assuming) that Byers put in for it, I lean towards Byers simply because it is closer to Ed's and they are the higher seed. Brunswick and Byers are the 2 logical choices, so here's where the seed MAY put this at Byers. If Medina was the 1 seed, I think this would be at Brunswick. Just 1 mans humble opinion. But I know the OHSAA can sometimes come out of left field with a location choice.

Absent last minute change, its at Byers.....no shocking news there, PSD isn't turning away a good gate that they can funnel like the rent money they make a few weeks a year too.

If Eds uses the template provided, they win.

Only two previous meetings, in playoffs last two years.

2019: St. Edward 73-38
2020: Medina 35-31
2021: ??

Byers would be a good pick if I could be promised the lights won't go out and the wind chill won't make the temperature feel 20 degrees cooler than whatever it is said to be.

Only two previous meetings, in playoffs last two years.

2019: St. Edward 73-38
2020: Medina 35-31
2021: ??
Ed put up 73 (in a PLAYOFF GAME) on Medina only 2 years ago???? Did Medina only field an offensive platoon, and just not put anybody on the field on defense that game? Was that game 3 OTs?

Has Medina ever been to the final 4 before?
No.

Medina's playoff history has been an upset of No. 1 McKinley as the eighth seed back in 2011, but lost the next week to Toledo St. John's. They beat Whitmer in 2016 as the No. 5 seed in 2016 but then lost to Olentangy Liberty the next week.

Up until this recent run, Medina had been arguably the biggest underachiever in the state.

No.

Medina's playoff history has been an upset of No. 1 McKinley as the eighth seed back in 2011, but lost the next week to Toledo St. John's. They beat Whitmer in 2016 as the No. 5 seed in 2016 but then lost to Olentangy Liberty the next week.

Up until this recent run, Medina had been arguably the biggest underachiever in the state.
Knocking out both St Ignatius and St Edward from the playoffs in 2 straight years would be pretty impressive. Especially since both of them have better teams this year. Any one of the remaining 8 teams is capable of winning it all. But, I have a feeling this year's state champion will be a first timer public school.

Byers would be a good pick if I could be promised the lights won't go out and the wind chill won't make the temperature feel 20 degrees cooler than whatever it is said to be.
I would lean heavily that the lights won't go out again, but I would also lean heavily towards banking on the wind WILL be there and it WILL feel colder that it is. That is almost a guarantee at that place. Ugghh!?. Still it is a great venue to see a big game like this.

Ed put up 73 (in a PLAYOFF GAME) on Medina only 2 years ago???? Did Medina only field an offensive platoon, and just not put anybody on the field on defense that game? Was that game 3 OTs?

The game was regulation time, no OT. Here's some excerpts from the St. Edward athletics website and a link to the game report
  • The 73 points given up by Medina broke a 98 year old Medina record
  • 949 total yards combined (571 by St. Ed’s and 378 by Medina)
  • 83 pass attempts combined
St. Ed’s:
  • 30 first downs broke a school record for most first downs in a game
  • 73 points set a school record for most points scored in a playoff game
  • Season high nine rushing TDs
  • 7 of 10 on 3rd down conversions

Ed’s has a better team probably but Medina has the best player in the state who can win a game by himself. It should be a fun one. I’d like to see allar against a defense like springfield or Lakota west two teams that can legit shutdown any offense

It's really about the line of scrimmage. And at every level. If P. Mahommes, T. Brady, etc.. don't have any time, they will struggle. If Allar has all day to throw, odds are in Medina's favor to win. If Ed's has constant pressure on him, the odds are in Ed's favor. Should be interesting to watch that. How uncomfortable can Ed's make him. That will tell the story. The other unknown factors that CAN play into who wins: weather, special teams, and turnovers. Can't wait for a very good matchup. Hoping for 5 OT's!!

I look for Kilbane and Gideon to put a lot of pressure on Allar. Kilbane will be a first team all Ohio selection.

I look for Kilbane and Gideon to put a lot of pressure on Allar. Kilbane will be a first team all Ohio selection.
Last year Medina ran the ball around the end fairly well, I think we are better at the defensive end positions this year. It will be a great game and I'm looking forward to Friday.

I would lean heavily that the lights won't go out again, but I would also lean heavily towards banking on the wind WILL be there and it WILL feel colder that it is. That is almost a guarantee at that place. Ugghh!?. Still it is a great venue to see a big game like this.

Byers is always a good option. There is plenty of parking, seating, and places to eat before the game. It is also easy to get out of the stadium and onto Ridge Road. The wind chill is a killer though. Brutal.

As for the game--I like Eds. I think Ignatius gave Eds a blueprint for how to defend Medina. I would like to see Medina win, and it wouldn't surprise me if they did, but I think Eds controls the LOS and overcomes a few big plays through the air from Media to win a 34-24 game.

You have to remember that 2019 game was a ton of sophomores playing for Medina (now seniors). Defensively, Medina took their lumps that game. Offensively, they did score 38 on Ed's, which is part of the reason why Ed's had to keep the pressure on and ended up scoring 73.

Last year Medina ran the ball around the end fairly well, I think we are better at the defensive end positions this year. It will be a great game and I'm looking forward to Friday.
Yes, they went power on us with that bulldozer RB and had a lot of success. Agreed that we are stronger on the edges this year, and hopefully that will make the difference. Going to be a great game on Friday.

Knocking out both St Ignatius and St Edward from the playoffs in 2 straight years would be pretty impressive. Especially since both of them have better teams this year. Any one of the remaining 8 teams is capable of winning it all. But, I have a feeling this year's state champion will be a first timer public school.
Yes, tough road. Mentor beat St. Eds and Iggy back to back in 2017, 2013 and 2012.

Yes, tough road. Mentor beat St. Eds and Iggy back to back in 2017, 2013 and 2012.
Nothing against St Eds, but sports are boring when they're predictable and the same teams are constantly winning the championships. The state tournament would be so much more interesting if Medina backs up their #1 ranking to get there.

Nothing against St Eds, but sports are boring when they're predictable and the same teams are constantly winning the championships. The state tournament would be so much more interesting if Medina backs up their #1 ranking to get there.
I dont think St Eds thinks its boring

Boring in that they've already won multiple state championships. It's like watching Duke, NC and Kentucky winning bball championships. Yawn
I get what you are saying...but if it was SHS....you would love it. It just depends on what side you are on.