Referee Shortage

Heard from a referee friend that games in the Cinti area are getting cancelled or pushed to other dates because there aren't enough referees. Anybody know if that is true? Which games are pushed?

Up this way I know we have had a few moved and/or canceled for sure.

Schools and their ADs are gonna have to get a little more creative with the scheduling to help on out.

For instance, those schools without JVs should consider more boys/girls varsity double headers. having a single game on a Wednesday followed by a single game on a Thursday is just making things harder.

Just make it a double header on one day or the other.

You will al$o make referees happier. Tru$t me.

Heard from a referee friend that games in the Cinti area are getting cancelled or pushed to other dates because there aren't enough referees. Anybody know if that is true? Which games are pushed?
This is true and not just in soccer. Ref shortage in all sports. There a number of reasons why, 1. Pay not bad imo but it’s not good either for someone who has to leave work (real job) early to Officiate at 430 or 530. 2. Those of us who Officiate or who have up until recently know that the only way the Local Officials Associations attract new Officials is by word of mouth. Need everyone involved in recruiting new officials. This is not a knock on the Local Officials Associations Board Members either. I know those guys and gals are working hard and trying their best for the Sport in which they are involved! Last but not least, Covid Season cancellations caused many Officials to find something else to do with their time and now that’s what they do instead of Officiate.

To go do a line for a single varsity game on a weekday is around 50 bucks. Not bad. Roughly 16 bucks an hour was fine a few years ago. Now folks are making that to pour coffee.

We are seeing a ref shortage from high school, all the way down to the youth club level. You hear a lot of it also being blamed on parents/fans at games as well. Simply pushing people away from dealing with the headache.

Personally, we've been fortunate to not have a game postponed or cancelled due to a lack of refs, although we had a two-man system the other day, which is unusual for a varsity contest.

Once or twice, when we've played schools without a JV team, they have doubled it up as part of a girls/boys varsity doubleheader, but I don't know if that was set up that way because of the ref situation.

I'm working on my HS certification for next year - I'm certified with USSF, but didn't do the bridge course for this year, as my son is a senior and I knew I wouldn't be accepting many of the assigned games, since they would conflict with his schedule.

Got a desperate text from an AD on Saturday for a game I already declined (because I had another game...)

Getting yelled at isn't fun BUT ultimately it's soccer. If you are a fan of the game (which if you are reading this post you probably are) you will enjoy being a referee. Sign up. We need you.

Imagine standing two feet next to the kid ripping a game-winning shot. Best seats in the house! To the point above, USSF pays a little better but by doing HS you will earn the respect of assignors.

To go do a line for a single varsity game on a weekday is around 50 bucks. Not bad. Roughly 16 bucks an hour was fine a few years ago. Now folks are making that to pour coffee.
That's the thing, 16 bucks an hour wasn't actually a good wage, not just a few years ago, but for over a decade. You're confusing something being forced to be accepted, and something being acceptable. Wages have been suppressed for so many decades that it has/had to reach a breaking point.

That's the thing, 16 bucks an hour wasn't actually a good wage, not just a few years ago, but for over a decade. You're confusing something being forced to be accepted, and something being acceptable. Wages have been suppressed for so many decades that it has/had to reach a breaking point.
Ok. Thanks for your input.

Ended up doing my HS certification last week. Reached out to a couple assignors in my area and already have three games assigned, first one tomorrow (JV-B game). I didn’t figure there would be many unassigned games at this point, but I guess I was wrong.

Ended up doing my HS certification last week. Reached out to a couple assignors in my area and already have three games assigned, first one tomorrow (JV-B game). I didn’t figure there would be many unassigned games at this point, but I guess I was wrong.
Was the ref cert done all online, or was there a in person course for highschool officiating?

After last night's Playoff Game.....here's my "2 cents": Until schools and/or the OHSAA get serious about dealing with the childish, sometimes INSANE, unsportsmanlike behavior of spectators, the shortage of Officials will only get worse. Last night's home crowd was easily THE worst I've encountered in over 70 games this season, and among the worst in my 20+ years of officiating. "To best serve the game", I choose to verbally warn players from both teams vice Cautioning them, as I knew showing the card(s) would have simply sunk that fan base into new depths of asinine behavior. I've lost count how many times I've encouraged HS players to take the referee (OHSAA) course once they graduate, etc. only to be told "But sir, and put up with THAT?", as they point to the stands. NO amount of game fee is worth tolerating 100 toddlers disguised as adults.......:mad:

Injuries, changing work Schedules, and Officials shortage usually leads to an Open Game (Assignment) or 3 a day.

After last night's Playoff Game.....here's my "2 cents": Until schools and/or the OHSAA get serious about dealing with the childish, sometimes INSANE, unsportsmanlike behavior of spectators, the shortage of Officials will only get worse. Last night's home crowd was easily THE worst I've encountered in over 70 games this season, and among the worst in my 20+ years of officiating. "To best serve the game", I choose to verbally warn players from both teams vice Cautioning them, as I knew showing the card(s) would have simply sunk that fan base into new depths of asinine behavior. I've lost count how many times I've encouraged HS players to take the referee (OHSAA) course once they graduate, etc. only to be told "But sir, and put up with THAT?", as they point to the stands. NO amount of game fee is worth tolerating 100 toddlers disguised as adults.......:mad:
I enjoyed the AD earlier this year that told me his fans 'weren't that bad' while we got volleys of 'bull$hit' and 'don't ever come back again' all night long.

This is at a place where the stands have been cleared on more than one occasion.

Punishments need to increase and should include playing games without fans.

I enjoyed the AD earlier this year that told me his fans 'weren't that bad' while we got volleys of 'bull$hit' and 'don't ever come back again' all night long.

This is at a place where the stands have been cleared on more than one occasion.

Punishments need to increase and should include playing games without fans.
I agree. Unfortunately the OHSAA doesn’t currently have the authority to tell a team it can’t have fans in a regular season game. To pass a rule giving them that authority, the schools would have to vote in favor of it.
Seeing as how we’ve already established the schools aren’t interested in solving this problem, I don’t think that will happen.

I agree. Unfortunately the OHSAA doesn’t currently have the authority to tell a team it can’t have fans in a regular season game. To pass a rule giving them that authority, the schools would have to vote in favor of it.
Seeing as how we’ve already established the schools aren’t interested in solving this problem, I don’t think that will happen.

After a MAJOR fight in the stands, involving nearly 3 dozen people, the PIAA told a HS in the greater Pittsburgh area that their home 7:30 football games would now be played at 4 in the afternoon, before ZERO fans (home or away).......think of the gate receipts they're losing......AND they could have NO FANS attend their AWAY games......for the following TWO YEARS. This happened several years ago as I recall. IF the State really wants to 'reel in' a school for the bad behavior of their fans........well........

After a MAJOR fight in the stands, involving nearly 3 dozen people, the PIAA told a HS in the greater Pittsburgh area that their home 7:30 football games would now be played at 4 in the afternoon, before ZERO fans (home or away).......think of the gate receipts they're losing......AND they could have NO FANS attend their AWAY games......for the following TWO YEARS. This happened several years ago as I recall. IF the State really wants to 'reel in' a school for the bad behavior of their fans........well........
PIAA has different bylaws than OHSAA

Was that the PIAA itself or the WPIAL (which is PIAA district 7, which covers SW PA with the exception of Pittsburgh city itself)? Either way, as the poster above me noted, governance within PIAA is different than OHSAA.

Thursday afternoon 4pm football games were the norm in Youngstown for years after too many schools were having issues.