Rays ace Blake Snell says he refuses to play for reduced MLB salary

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Tampa Bay Rays ace Blake Snell says he will not play this season for a reduced salary, especially because the risk of contracting the coronavirus is "just not worth it."

Snell voiced his opposition to Major League Baseball's reported proposal of a 50-50 revenue split with the players for a coronavirus-shortened season in a video posted to social media Wednesday.

I see the point that MLBPA is making, but Snell went full retard with his argument. No one is going to be sympathetic on him having to pay taxes on his income.....

We know, in sports contracts, it all comes down to precedents set most times. As a kid I never understood the whole $$ aspect, and why wouldnt a player accept less to stay with a team he loves.

The unions dont want players to sign for anything less than top dollar, and it makes the players look extremely greedy, of which some are.

If ownership truly was trying to push this in the media then this is BS. They needed to have high level meetings with the union on the brevity of the situation. When it orginally came out I don tthink they expected to have zero fans in the stands for quite awhile.

This is a very weird time, and people need to sacrifice. I understand the owners point of view, and I understand the players being reluctant to accept it but this is unprecedented times.

There will have to be some compromise. BOth sides need to figure out their BATNA (best alternative to a negotiated agreement). Once they come to their determination, there is a thing called ZOPA, a Zone of Possible Agreement.

Both sides need to come up with their BATNA's, and then a mediator can loook at the possible ZOPA's and come to a conclusion, hopefully.

This is exactly what the players are taking to the table.

"You don't privatize the gains and socialize the losses."- Scott Boras

This is exactly what the players are taking to the table.

"You don't privatize the gains and socialize the losses."- Scott Boras
I’m not sure I understand that quote ... how is proposing a 50/50 split doing that ... I’m confused?

Wouldn’t that mean both make more if there are fans aloud ... and both make less if there are no fans?

I’m not sure I understand that quote ... how is proposing a 50/50 split doing that ... I’m confused?

Wouldn’t that mean both make more if there are fans aloud ... and both make less if there are no fans?
Basically means he says MLB owners keep the gains, but want the players to suffer when they lose...

Bad loook all the way around for the players, I think. The owners went about this the wrong way, but I believe most people realize this is some messed up times and everyone will have to sacrifice.

Players need to suck it up. Maybe agree to some kickers, like if revenues/attendance hits certain levels the % goes up.....

It is just greed. No more professional sports except for Hockey. Let the athletes work a real job.... playing baseball for money is laughable. Playing baseball for Millions and then complaining about it..... priceless. Votto makes more per at bat than most do in a year....... Let MLB die and watch the greed mongers scramble for work.....

Basically means he says MLB owners keep the gains, but want the players to suffer when they lose...

Bad loook all the way around for the players, I think. The owners went about this the wrong way, but I believe most people realize this is some messed up times and everyone will have to sacrifice.

Players need to suck it up. Maybe agree to some kickers, like if revenues/attendance hits certain levels the % goes up.....

Why are you blaming the players? They already reached an agreement weeks ago. Covered all options. Now owners want to change that agreement to shared revenue. MLBPA is correct in not giving in.

If you sign someone for $10M but he get's hurt and has a down year....you don't get to just pay him what you feel he's worth then.

Why are you blaming the players? They already reached an agreement weeks ago. Covered all options. Now owners want to change that agreement to shared revenue. MLBPA is correct in not giving in.

If you sign someone for $10M but he get's hurt and has a down year....you don't get to just pay him what you feel he's worth then.
Whomever drew up the agreement to split Rev based on fan attendance was an idiot.

I blame the players. Early 90's they sat out and I vowed to never return to a game to pay their sorry butts. Can't believe it's been more than 25 years now. I will hold out for another 50 years on principle.

I hope they are hastening the death of their boring 3 hour game that most other levels play in less than 2 hours.

I blame the players. Early 90's they sat out and I vowed to never return to a game to pay their sorry butts. Can't believe it's been more than 25 years now. I will hold out for another 50 years on principle.

I hope they are hastening the death of their boring 3 hour game that most other levels play in less than 2 hours.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the added time to MLB games are due to commercial breaks. Companies pay each clubs ownership group for those rights. Not really the players fault. And a majority of them weren't even alive for the 94 Strike.

And I have some good news for you. No matter what happens you won't have to watch any games if that's what you choose to do. I can appreciate someone that sticks to their guns. But why did you get on this board if you're boycotting baseball?

I'm pretty sure a lot of the added time to MLB games are due to commercial breaks. Companies pay each clubs ownership group for those rights. Not really the players fault. And a majority of them weren't even alive for the 94 Strike.

And I have some good news for you. No matter what happens you won't have to watch any games if that's what you choose to do. I can appreciate someone that sticks to their guns. But why did you get on this board if you're boycotting baseball?
I boycotted paying to watch them, not paying attention to the game. I always liked the game and listened to Marty and Joe most every night as a kid. Then I would make a few bucks and take my family to a game a few times per year.

Totally turned off by the 94 strike. The only way they will get the message that 26 years later people are still ticked with major league baseball is to let your voice be heard. That is what I am doing here. Some people have short memories and forgive, while others seem to have no abatement to their anger over perceived fleecing of the common fan.

Won't someone please think of the owners?
1589735199954.png

I boycotted paying to watch them, not paying attention to the game. I always liked the game and listened to Marty and Joe most every night as a kid. Then I would make a few bucks and take my family to a game a few times per year.

Totally turned off by the 94 strike. The only way they will get the message that 26 years later people are still ticked with major league baseball is to let your voice be heard. That is what I am doing here. Some people have short memories and forgive, while others seem to have no abatement to their anger over perceived fleecing of the common fan.

I hold grudges but they're normally reserved for involved parties. You watch the NFL still after all their strikes? What about NBA? NHL?

The Owners want to change an Agreement that was reached like a month ago. Now they want to go back on their word/agreement. I say screw them and agreement is an agreement!

I watch it, yes. Pay to see it, no.

I prefer high school sports first, collegiate second, pro third.

I would agree with your priorities. I can stay away from other leagues but there's just something about being at baseball games that I can't boycott. The aroma, the sounds, the ongoing debate I have with myself where I try to justify buying Diamond Club seats if I can eat/drink enough of the complimentary menus.

The Owners want to change an Agreement that was reached like a month ago. Now they want to go back on their word/agreement. I say screw them and agreement is an agreement!
I agree. I can understand why people might not have empathy for the players being millionaires, but what the Owners are doing is sleazy. Whomever decided to base the Rev Split on Fan Attendance was an idiot, and idiots deserve to lose $.

Blake Snell must have absolutely no clue what's going on in the country. These days, some kids just sit in their basement, play video games and don't pay any attention to the world. I can't imagine how embarassed Snell's parents must be. "I'm risking my life?" He has better chance of getting killed with a line drive to the head than of the corona virus.
Snell should just come clean now, beg for everyone's forgiveness and make a sizable donation to his favorite charity, if he even knows what one is. This will follow him forever.

Blake Snell must have absolutely no clue what's going on in the country. These days, some kids just sit in their basement, play video games and don't pay any attention to the world. I can't imagine how embarassed Snell's parents must be. "I'm risking my life?" He has better chance of getting killed with a line drive to the head than of the corona virus.
Snell should just come clean now, beg for everyone's forgiveness and make a sizable donation to his favorite charity, if he even knows what one is. This will follow him forever.

Are you saying he should take less than his agreed upon contract? They're telling players they will not be able to shower until they get back to their hotel rooms. Can't use any public transportation to get to and from ballparks. Not allowed to leave the hotels except for games. Anyone who does so is subject to a 14 day quarantine. A lot of people understand what his said and agree until he started going in on how much they take in taxes.

Are you saying he should take less than his agreed upon contract? They're telling players they will not be able to shower until they get back to their hotel rooms. Can't use any public transportation to get to and from ballparks. Not allowed to leave the hotels except for games. Anyone who does so is subject to a 14 day quarantine. A lot of people understand what his said and agree until he started going in on how much they take in taxes.
That’s my biggest issue, they have a signed contract in place. Owners don’t get to undo it bc they made a mistake. If there was no prexisting contract, then the players would be on the wrong side.

YES!!! He's not going to pitch as much as he would in a regular season. Why should he get paid like that?? I have no idea why they are not allowed to use the showers at the ball park. I think that's crazy. These guys are at .01% chance of even getting mildly ill from this. Look at the data.

YES!!! He's not going to pitch as much as he would in a regular season. Why should he get paid like that?? I have no idea why they are not allowed to use the showers at the ball park. I think that's crazy. These guys are at .01% chance of even getting mildly ill from this. Look at the data.

They agreed to play based of of number of games in March. Now owners want it to be split revenue instead of games played. So there goes your claim. Learn what you're arguing. I should no by now you won't on this page.

Lol. You made that up. Please show the data on the .01% chance of mild illness.