Rank the Ohio Colleges/Universities from this past season.

Baldwin Wallace should be higher.

ONU beat both MSJ and Mount Union in duals and lost a close one to John Carroll.

It seemed that John Carroll, B-W, and Mount Union were the class of the OAC come the postseason (regional & nationals)

Lake Erie College is pretty solid on the D2 side of things, and probably merits some mention.

On the D1 side of things, Ohio State is the clear number one, and the other three teams weren't particularly good. Ohio U got two qualifiers to nationals, I think CSU got three, and Kent got one.

believe jordin james sat this one out

Nope. Beat Reed (placed 3rd at nationals with only loss coming to James by 1 point). ONU was without national Qualifier Chase Sumner at 149.

Ohio Northern 24, #22 Mount Union 15

125 — #8 Jack Stanley (MtU) maj. dec. Colin Mellott, 17-5
133 — #8 David Massey (MtU) tech fall Dylan Le, 17-2 (7:00)
141 — #9 Jordin James (MtU) dec. Jacob Reed, 8-3
149 — Matt Dewitz (ONU) dec. Zach Larue, 3-2
157 — Schuyler Caprella (ONU) dec. Michael Carpenter, 4-0
165 — Jordan Hardrick (ONU) dec. Chris Anderson, 3-2
174 — David Reinhart (MtU) dec. Connor Kwiat , 5-2
184 — Gavin Layman (ONU) dec. George Lassnick, 7-2
197 — Cash Thompson (ONU) pinned Warren Gentile, 3:00
285 — Ben DePrest (ONU) won by forfeit

It seemed that John Carroll, B-W, and Mount Union were the class of the OAC come the postseason (regional & nationals)

Lake Erie College is pretty solid on the D2 side of things, and probably merits some mention.

On the D1 side of things, Ohio State is the clear number one, and the other three teams weren't particularly good. Ohio U got two qualifiers to nationals, I think CSU got three, and Kent got one.
I'm pretty sure Kent St had two. Komara 149 and McCracken 184.

Why no recognition for Lake Erie College outside of Bucksman? They have been solid year in and year out since the founding of their wrestling program just over a decade ago and there is something special brewing in Painesville with several big recruits the last couple years, kids are attracted to what Coach Breese has been building since taking over for Hoogenboom. They won the GMAC in the conference's founding year in 2019 and have finished runner up to Ashland the last three years (over Tiffin and Findlay). Not to mention all the success LEC had in the GLIAC over the same Ohio schools before moving to the GMAC. They really fly under the radar up there, I guess. Just a few years ago, LEC even knocked off CSU in a dual.

2021/2022 Head to Head results
Lake Erie College over Findlay @ GMAC Duals 20-15
Lake Erie College over Tiffin @ GMAC Duals 34-10
Lake Erie College Falls to Ashland @ GMAC Duals 22-21 via Tiebreaker

Results from Super Region 3
1. West Liberty 142.0
2. Ashland 111.5
3. Lake Erie 104
T4. Findlay 88
T4. Tiffin 88

What about Miami U.?

Oh yeah...the program was cut in 1998. Can you tell I am still butt-hurt over that?:ROFLMAO:
You should see the club room there now. Oh my! My son who was placer in Ohio was excited to go over and give it a whirl. Said he has never felt so dominate. Tons of placers and champs but all from nh , Vermont, main, ct, ri, etc. I never put as much credence in Ohio having such good wrestling until I stopped in for a visit and many Ohio hs teams would beat them soundly. Very disappointing.

You should see the club room there now. Oh my! My son who was placer in Ohio was excited to go over and give it a whirl. Said he has never felt so dominate. Tons of placers and champs but all from nh , Vermont, main, ct, ri, etc. I never put as much credence in Ohio having such good wrestling until I stopped in for a visit and many Ohio hs teams would beat them soundly. Very disappointing.
Just a reference point, Gelman from Moeller was a state placer in Massachusetts as a sophomore before transferring back home. He didn’t place the past two years in Ohio (D1 in Ohio is obviously one of the toughest divisions in the country).

This ended up being a great debated thread.....
Not sure if that's, 'sarcasm' or not General? :whistle:

I know I found it difficult to rank them and the records made it even harder. I pay most attention to the kids I've been around or know. I've been away from coaching for a bunch of years and the youngest kid I have left is a Junior in HS.
I'm all for all the Ohio colleges and Ohio wrestlers getting some love. I just don't know them as I once did. ✌️

Last edited:
All Americans By Division.

State-------------D1---D2---D3----NAIA--NJCAA--Total

Pennsylvania-----12---- 7 --- 9 ------1-------2 ----------31
Ohio--------------7-----7-----8------6-------2----------30
Illinois-------------8------5-----9------2-------3----------27
Iowa--------------1------2-----9------8-------3---------23
California ---------4------0-----0------6-------8----------18
Indiana------------3-----4-----5------5-------1---------18
Minnesota---------5-----3-----5------ 0-------4----------17
New Jersey-------7-----2-----5-------0------2----------16

✍️~J. Bryant