Random NBA fact...

Salad76

Pete Maravich only played one season (1979-80) with the 3 point line.

That year he hit 10-15 for 67%.

I don't know what the record is for say a guy with at least 15 attempts, but that has to be it.

Interesting. Might be the record for players who ONLY had 15 attempts. He only he tried it in 9 games out of 40 played. And 7 of those games he just had one attempt, and two attempts each in the other two games. You have to wonder what his scoring would have been like in the current era.

From what I read, you needed 25 attempts to qualify for "best" that year. That was Brian Green, 37.7% on something like 230 attempts.

In contrast, Stephen Curry has games where he was 10 of 13, 11 of 13, and 13 of 17 behind the arc. Might Curry or Steve Kerr have 67% or better if they only shot threes once or twice every four games?

Last edited:
Maravich was a terrific basketball player. Many kids today have probably never heard of him. You can still see some of his highlights on line, thou a bit grainy.

Last edited:
I saw an analysis of Maravich were they examined film of his first 3 years in college where his average per game was in the high 30s (can’t recall the number but it was huge) and looking at film of every game and from where he shot many of his 2s were actually 3s and his per game average would have been in the 40s.

I‘ll have to see if I can find the article and post it here.

I saw an analysis of Maravich were they examined film of his first 3 years in college where his average per game was in the high 30s (can’t recall the number but it was huge) and looking at film of every game and from where he shot many of his 2s were actually 3s and his per game average would have been in the 40s.

I‘ll have to see if I can find the article and post it here.
Great thought, but you're off just a little bit ;): In his three varsity seasons at LSU, Maravich averaged 43.8 ppg, 44.2 ppg, and 44.5 ppg !!!!!

One YouTube highlight clip (plenty of others there, too):

Maravich was an outstanding shooter, a creative and dazzling passer, and a very skilled ballhandler. One of the greatest ever. Here's a great book that examines his entire life:

Last edited:
Maravich was a terrific basketball player. Many kids today have probably never heard of him. You can still see some of his highlights on line, thou a bit grainy.
I sort of agree with this, but it's incomplete. He was a carnival act. He did amazing things but he wasn't trained to put winning as the goal. He was into tricks, scoring a lot of points, behind the back, etc. He may very well have been an all-time great, but he wasn't wired that way.

He was also a boozer.

The person I would like to have seen in the 3 point era was Rick Mount.