Question for DLS Fans

They're OK, but their pedigree is a little below DLS standards...

if you watched cal thump Tennessee on Saturday, this first TD Cal scored was on a fumble return by DJ Williams brother, a DB for Cal

DJ Williams was 1999 High School national player of the year from DLS

and John Madden has been quoted as saying that the ONLY player he thought could go straight from high school football to the NFL was DJ Williams

still love hat 98 DLS team that had Atari Callen (15 yards a carry) and DJ Williams (14 yards a carry) in the starting backfield

the #3 running back averaged a measly 10 yards a carry

Coach Lad reacts to the Indy streak ending...

"Ladouceur's reaction to the news that Independence High of Charlotte, N.C., ended its win streak last week at 109 games was reminiscent of what made De La Salle an icon in the first place, and what could recapture some of the lost mystique.

Independence's "coach made no bones about it: He was going after our record," Ladouceur said. "His focus, it seemed to me, was a bit misguided. That's not how we won those games.

"We've been the team to beat in the Bay Area for a while, through hard work and smart play. That's part of what makes it fun, for us and for the teams coming after us. It has to be that way to stay interesting."

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/09/05/SP2SRUPC8.DTL

D.J Williams was a man among boys.

I have on tape the 1999 DLS - St. Francis game

for those who don't know St. Francis (especially under long-time coach Ron Calcagno who was gone by 1999) was a Bay Area power that played like an X or De Matha - very conservative offense - they would quick-punt on third and long and run dives on 3rd and 8 - and stellar defense and special teams, quite happy winning games 14-7 or 17-3

anyway, in that game in 1999

DJ Williams had over 200 yards rushing ................

in the 1st Quarter

Later that year against YV who threw some great offense at DLS scoring over 30 points, DJ had SEVEN TD rushing

"We've been the team to beat in the Bay Area for a while, through hard work and smart play.

And players like Amani Toomer, D.J. Williams, Kevin Simon, Maurice Drew, etc...

Your suggestion that it is the players listed who are why DLS is the team to beat in the Bay Area is humorous. For reference, Amani Toomer's last game as a Spartan was the last game of 1991 - the last DLS loss before the streak began, and the last time that DLS lost to a Northern California team. Thanks Amani, your all-pro talent certainly carried that day that day. I am not sure what position etc... played, but DJ, KS and MD covered a span of 5 years max. If a handful of marquee players explained a team's domination over a region, then LB Poly would be the best team in California, every year.

For a more accurate perspective, the following is a much better read taken from the NorCalPreps board http://norcalpreps.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?SID=985&fid=447&style=2&tid=98008493&Page=2:

Yes DLS has Talent, but I would put their talent pretty far down the list when considering why they are so good.

1. is the coaching and not just Lad, but the entire staff. Eidson is a better football coach then 90% of the head coaches out there. They keep it simple, they teach proper fundamentals and technique, rinse, repeat

2. is the player "buy-in" combined with the tradition. For the most part the players police themselves and hold each other accountable. You simply cannot over emphasize how important that is at the high school level.

3. commitment - the commitment of the players, coaches, administration, parents, alumni, boosters, etc. The foundation of their success is built on a great many people.

DLS is our number one rival and nemesis and losing to them year after year is frustrating. However, I must and do admire the way they run their program.

my opinion come from a great deal of personal experience, but anyone who is really interested in learning about DLS and why they are so good should read these two excellent books and see the upcoming documentary "perfect effort" made by a former player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdhbNtih1n8

http://www.amazon.com/When-Game-Stands-Tall-Footballs/dp/1583941304/ref=pd_bbs_sr_2/002-3276635-5304068?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189116053&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/One-Great-Game-National-Championship/dp/0743446216/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b/002-3276635-5304068?ie=UTF8&qid=1189116053&sr=8-2

This is a speech Coach Ladouceur made to a group of high school coaches revealing, like an open book, all his secrets to creating the well respected program he has.

I urge every coach, every player, every fan to read the kind of commitment it takes.

It is an interesting read...

http://www.the-endzone.net/ladabob.pdf

I have on tape the 1999 DLS - St. Francis game

for those who don't know St. Francis (especially under long-time coach Ron Calcagno who was gone by 1999) was a Bay Area power that played like an X or De Matha - very conservative offense - they would quick-punt on third and long and run dives on 3rd and 8 - and stellar defense and special teams, quite happy winning games 14-7 or 17-3

anyway, in that game in 1999

DJ Williams had over 200 yards rushing ................

in the 1st Quarter

Later that year against YV who threw some great offense at DLS scoring over 30 points, DJ had SEVEN TD rushing

I graduated from Saint Francis in 1997, played on the 1995 and 1996 Section Championship Lancer teams. I knew a lot of kids on the 1999 team, including a WR named Grant Mattos who went on to walk on at USC and play on the Chargers for a bit.

DJ was a monster. Saw that game in person.

I graduated from Saint Francis in 1997, played on the 1995 and 1996 Section Championship Lancer teams. I knew a lot of kids on the 1999 team, including a WR named Grant Mattos who went on to walk on at USC and play on the Chargers for a bit.

DJ was a monster. Saw that game in person.

I saw St Francis play these games

1975 CCS Playoff St Francis 35, Santa Teresa 14
1978 CCS Final Oak Grove 52, St Francis 7
1981 CCS Semifinal Bellarmine 17, St Francis 7
1982 regular season St Francis defeats Bellarmine , maybe 17-3?

#1 DLS vs #2 Serra (in the Bay Area) at the half 34-0 DLS

40-22 final

22 points scored on the second/third string mostly very late in the game

third string QB Nate Montana with his first Varsity action.

Last edited: