Professional Softball?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
What do you think of the current state of professional softball. As far as I know, there are two main leagues and neither seem to be hitting a homerun. National Pro Fastpitch seems like it is on life support after cancelling two Summers in a row. I've always felt like the people running the show didn't have alot of common sense. Small number of teams from long distances away from each other. Athletes Unlimited is the new startup that is throwing crazy ideas up against the wall. No real teams, just points for players to rank them. Basically, I have no real interest in watching what is virtually a pickup game between friends.

Will either of these organizations make it in softball or will another organization swoop in and build a better league? Or is it just not possible with softball?

You would think with the rise in popularity of college softball that the pro leagues could survive and find a niche in the market where they could possibly thrive. I think the lack of a TV market to date is part of the problem and the size of the league is also a problem. I think there are only 8 teams and like you said spread out all across the country. For a larger league to be successful, I think the league should attempt to align itself with the MLB the way the WNBA is aligned with the NBA.

You would think with the rise in popularity of college softball that the pro leagues could survive and find a niche in the market where they could possibly thrive. I think the lack of a TV market to date is part of the problem and the size of the league is also a problem. I think there are only 8 teams and like you said spread out all across the country. For a larger league to be successful, I think the league should attempt to align itself with the MLB the way the WNBA is aligned with the NBA.
This is the answer. Professional softball could be aligned with MLB. Play weekend double headers at great fields near the MLB parks during the baseball/softball season. Get the dads to take their daughters. I for one would love to see Sis Bates play shortstop. She is amazing. I would also like to see the game tweaked a little bit for the PROs too. The WNBA is a mess because it plays in the off-season for one thing but that is another issue.

MLB did partner with NPF with marketing, tv etc when they were in their prime back around 2004/05 it lasted about 5 years when MLB started distancing themselves. MLB had some involvement with Pro fastpitch up until 2016 but by 2013 Pro Softball was mainly just doing games at some large youth fastpitch events sprinkled in with some league games and double headers with the same team going city to city. The ladies made little to no money considering the travel involved especially compared to other women's pro sports.

I remember a girls fastpitch tournament at Berliner park in Columbus back in 2011 or 2012 where Akron played Chicago in a Saturday evening DH. Most of all the players hung around the weekend signing autographs, selling sponsored items. Crystl Bustos was naturally peddling bats, some pitchers were marketing perfect circles and other pitching aids / videos etc. as well as camps and upcoming training and camp opportunities.
Now Pro fastpitch is down to 5 teams and honestly men's Major/A level slow-pitch draws more fans than the Women's Pro Fastpitch games.
I think it was 2014 when they played the championship game at a MLB park in front of about 2k fans.. The game looked nothing like a Fastpitch game with the large field and pitching mound behind the circle. The 2019 championship barely hit 7k for the whole series... Sad given the women's college world series has and still gets better TV ratings than men's college baseball.

Softball is in the perfect position to take off professionally. They just need new voices to get in there that would get away from these recent attempts. The sport needs to grow organically, not come prepackaged by MLB or ESPN. Team owners that took pride in winning a championship rather than simply being about money.