Premier Health Flyin' to the Hoop Basketball Invitational

Really excited to see the Centerville vs. SoCal Academy game - SoCal has 7-8 top 25 recruits from California.

I'm guessing that game will be complete opposite styles with very good players on both sides.

Also think Fairfield v. SVSM will be very good.

I'm interested in the Brush-Gahanna Lincoln game tomorrow. I know how good GL is, and this will be a good measuring stick for the Arcs; who look to be very good.

I'm interested in the Brush-Gahanna Lincoln game tomorrow. I know how good GL is, and this will be a good measuring stick for the Arcs; who look to be very good.
Me as well! I knew this team was special when they beat Cathedral (IN) back in early December, which at the time was #1 in the state of Indiana. Gahanna Lincoln will be a lot tougher though.

Really excited to see the Centerville vs. SoCal Academy game - SoCal has 7-8 top 25 recruits from California.

I'm guessing that game will be complete opposite styles with very good players on both sides.

Also think Fairfield v. SVSM will be very good.
Should be very interesting. A basketball "school" with 2 very legit 5 stars (out of 19 total on ESPN) and a bunch of 4 stars versus a very good local team (with 2 Power 5 committed players). Outcome probably doesn't indicate anything significant but hopefully will be fun.

Centerville v SoCal Academy:

Not really sure these prep academies do much for some of these kids to actually improve in high school. Yes, they are a collection of talented players, but there is zero cohesion and teamwork. They don't play for each other.

Add to that the difference in coaching was significant. Imagine some of these kids being able to be coached by Brooks Cupps. I was honestly kind of disappointed by the quality of the game as SoCal didn't look like a team at all. This was not a fluke, it was very obvious Centerville was the better TEAM.

Rolf, Cupps, and House may not be as highly rated or as athletic, but they will likely make a more immediate impact on their college programs because of their IQ, sense for the game, and skill level (shooting, ball handling, and leadership). Centerville probably wins that game 6-7x out of 10.

Nice win for the Elks. Just shows how much it means to play a team game AS A TEAM! Nice one for the coaching staff as well. This will get Coach Brooks & staff some quality recognition nationally. The state people already know their value.

Ok, so I guess I will go ahead and point this out. It was an excellent win for the Elks. They are very well coached and I am a fan. But they would not beat this SoCAl Academy team 7 out of 10 or i suspect even 3 out of ten. But they did beat them tonight and that is what matters. SoCAl is loaded with talent and I believe any rematch with Centerville would yield a much more highly motivated Socal team than we saw tonight. I am not suggesting they were not trying, but let's be honest and say this game meant much more to the Elks than it did to them. A look into the history of this event will reveal any number of these types of upsets. I specifically recall Dunbar over Chicago's Whitney Young, and I believe Wayne, Trotwood MAdison and others have turned the trick as well. I am by no means downgradaing the Elks, as I have been a fan of Brook Cupps coaching since his days at Graham. He and this team are obviously very good and deserved to win. But it is my opinion that there are a few on here who forget that Socal is a very talented and well coached team who traveled a long way to get here and had a very bad shooting night. I also disagree with Onthe line85's prmise on the individuals impacts on their prospective college teams. Socals kids will have a definite impact on their programs and likely as soon or sooner than the Elks impact on theirs. Credit to the Elks for winning tonight is warranted, but I suspect (hope!) there are some seasoned basketball veterans on this site that will support my position. If not , so be it.

Last edited:
Ok, so I guess I will go ahead and point this out. It was an excellent win for the Elks. They are very well coached and I am a fan. But they would not beat this SoCAl Academy team 7 out of 10 or i suspect even 3 out of ten. But they did beat them tonight and that is what matters. SoCAl is loaded with talent and I believe any rematch with Centerville would yield a much more highly motivated Socal team than we saw tonight. I am not suggesting they were not trying, but let's be honest and say this game meant much more to the Elks than it did to them. A look into the history of this event will reveal any number of these types of upsets. I specifically recall Dunbar over Chicago's Whitney Young, and I believe Wayne, Trotwood MAdison and others have turned the trick as well. I am by no means downgradaing the Elks, as I have been a fan of Brook Cupps coaching since his days at Graham. He and this team are obviously very good and deserved to win. But it is my opinion that there are a few on here who forget that Socal is a very talented and well coached team who traveled a long way to get here and had a very bad shooting night. I also disagree with Onthe line85's prmise on the individuals impacts on their prospective college teams. Socals kids will have a definite impact on their programs and likely as soon or sooner than the Elks impact on theirs. Credit to the Elks for winning tonight is warranted, but I suspect (hope!) there are some seasoned basketball veterans on this site that will support my position. If not , so be it.
Same could be said for Centerville and their shooting. When is the last time Cupps and House went 2-15 from 3?

Centerville is the #15 team in the country. It's not like this was out of left field.

SoCal didn't run anything or even remotely look connected. They just came down, took some dribbles, and shot the ball, especially in the second half. Not to mention their team defense was non-existent. It wasn't effort-based, it was their lack of discipline on the defensive end and their confusion in having to guard multiple sets, screens, and constant motion, as well as several well-timed set plays by B. Cupps. Centerville got a TON of open 3's - if House and Cupps knock them down at their normal % they win by 20+.

Same could be said for Centerville and their shooting. When is the last time Cupps and House went 2-15 from 3?

Centerville is the #15 team in the country. It's not like this was out of left field.

SoCal didn't run anything or even remotely look connected. They just came down, took some dribbles, and shot the ball, especially in the second half. Not to mention their team defense was non-existent. It wasn't effort-based, it was their lack of discipline on the defensive end and their confusion in having to guard multiple sets, screens, and constant motion, as well as several well-timed set plays by B. Cupps. Centerville got a TON of open 3's - if House and Cupps knock them down at their normal % they win by 20+.
I agree it was not a good night for either of them in that respect, and Rolf had a well timed, as I understand it, career night. I will always believe that Centerville simply had more motivation to win than SoCAl did. SoCAl plays most of their games in these invitationals and likely this was just another one to them. We have to admit at least, that is not the case for Coach Cupp's kids. I am not trying to take anything away from the Elk. They are outstanding and I am a fan as mentioned above. I just think the Centerville wins 7-10 claim and ragging on the Socal kids and coach is unwarranted and an inaccurate assessment of them.

I agree it was not a good night for either of them in that respect, and Rolf had a well timed, as I understand it, career night. I will always believe that Centerville simply had more motivation to win than SoCAl did. SoCAl plays most of their games in these invitationals and likely this was just another one to them. We have to admit at least, that is not the case for Coach Cupp's kids. I am not trying to take anything away from the Elk. They are outstanding and I am a fan as mentioned above. I just think the Centerville wins 7-10 claim and ragging on the Socal kids and coach is unwarranted and an inaccurate assessment of them.
I'm not ragging on them - I'm describing what happened in the game. They shot quick, bad shots, they let a really good shooting team open the whole game, and B Cupps ran some sets out of TOs that were outstanding. All of these things led to them winning the game. This notion that the SoCal team is significantly better isn't really based on anything except the recruiting rankings.

Centerville is 15 in the country. Rolf had a great game, but he's also a very good player. He, or House or Cupps, can replicate that on any given night. Centerville deserves their ranking.

It was a really sweet win for a very good team against a true powerhouse group of athletes. No, nobody wins this 7 or 9 times out of ten. It was simply the Elks night tonight. If they didn't already have a number on their back, they will now for certain.
Sounds like the Columbus area teams are loaded as well. Should be a really competitive year at the District & State tournaments.

Just information here. So Cal is torturing a decent Massilon Jackson team 60-32 with 7 minutes left to play.

Got to go Saturday, really enjoyed watching Link Academy playing the night game. So many talented kids, had about 10 guys with D1 potential on the team. Very fun to watch

Me as well! I knew this team was special when they beat Cathedral (IN) back in early December, which at the time was #1 in the state of Indiana. Gahanna Lincoln will be a lot tougher though.
While Brush didn't get the win, a 48-44 loss to a very good Gahanna Lincoln team is a good sign for the Arcs for the rest of the year. It'll be quite a matchup in a couple of weeks when they go head-to-head against the Irish.

While Brush didn't get the win, a 48-44 loss to a very good Gahanna Lincoln team is a good sign for the Arcs for the rest of the year. It'll be quite a matchup in a couple of weeks when they go head-to-head against the Irish.
I’m still surprised Brush lost to Ed’s!

I’m still surprised Brush lost to Ed’s!
I was too! First, Marlon Barnes being sick really hurt us, as without his shooting we couldn’t stretch the floor as much. Second, that sequence at the end of the 3rd Quarter was what did us in, (we had momentum for most of the game prior). Either way, we should of been able to finish, and full credit to your Eagles!

Motivation? So all these 5 and 4 star guys are just treading water until college or the prep school championships? That's a shame for these kids. Too bad they haven't learned that playing hard matters. We'll never know about x/10 or even x/2 but we do know that it was 1/1 for Centerville this week. Brook's team are better prepared than most college teams and play confidently and with poise which makes a difference.