Pre-Season State Rankings(regardless of division) Top 10

The air is warmer and spring is coming, as well as the boys HS volleyball season.. Here's my Top 10

1. Elder
2. St. Xavier
3. Archbishop Alter
4. Archbishop Moeller
5. Walsh Jesuit
6. DeSales
7. Hilliard Darby
8. Dublin Coffman
9. Centerville
10. Gahanna Lincoln
HM: Archbishop Hoban, Roger Bacon, Mason, St. Edward

1. Elder
2. St. Xavier
3. Archbishop Alter
4. Archbishop Moeller
5. Walsh Jesuit
6. DeSales
7. Hilliard Davidson
8. Hilliard Darby
9. Centerville
10. Dublin Coffman
HM: Gahanna, Beavercreek, St. Edward, Mt. Vernon

1. Elder
2. St Xavier
3. Alter
4. Moeller
5. Hilliard Davidson
6. Walsh Jesuit
7. St Francis DeSales
8. Centerville
9. Hilliard Darby
10. Lakota East

Here's my updated rankings.. Regardless of division

1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. St. Xavier
4. Hilliard Davidson
5. Walsh Jesuit
6. Alter
7. DeSales
8. Darby
9. Centerville
10. Dublin Coffman
HM: Gahanna, Beavercreek, St Eds, Hoban, St Charles

Here's my updated rankings.. Regardless of division

1. Moeller
2. Elder
3. St. Xavier
4. Hilliard Davidson
5. Walsh Jesuit
6. Alter
7. DeSales
8. Darby
9. Centerville
10. Dublin Coffman
HM: Gahanna, Beavercreek, St Eds, Hoban, St Charles

Not sure why you have a team that has not proved anything yet in the top 5 in the state.. They have a tough weekend ahead of them so we will see if you are right.

Not sure why you have a team that has not proved anything yet in the top 5 in the state.. They have a tough weekend ahead of them so we will see if you are right.

Davidson won 4/5 sets against DeSales in a scrimmage and outside of the loss to Eds has looked solid. Went 5 with a very dangerous St Charles team.

I think this weeknd will be good.. Will show quite a bit about all four teams(Davidson, Darby, Beavercreek, and Elder)

Davidson won 4/5 sets against DeSales in a scrimmage and outside of the loss to Eds has looked solid. Went 5 with a very dangerous St Charles team.

I think this weeknd will be good.. Will show quite a bit about all four teams(Davidson, Darby, Beavercreek, and Elder)

Scrimmage is one thing, matches are another. But I think I would put at least 4 other teams in front of them at this point in the year. Until they get a couple of quality wins, I do not think that they have earned a #4 in the state (DI and DII).

Scrimmage is one thing, matches are another. But I think I would put at least 4 other teams in front of them at this point in the year. Until they get a couple of quality wins, I do not think that they have earned a #4 in the state (DI and DII).

What would your rankings be then???

As of today I would have them in this order

1. Moe
2. Elder
3a. X
3b. Walsh
5. Alter
6. DeSales
7. Centerville
8. Darby
9. Davidson
10a. St. Edwards
10b. Beavercreek

Moeller beat Elder in 3, Darby took them to 5.
Elder beat X in 5.
Ed's beat Davidson in 4, Darby handed Ed's a 3-0 defeat.

Seems to me the two teams in the state that are supposedly down, could potentially be 1 and 2.

Moeller beat Elder in 3, Darby took them to 5.
Elder beat X in 5.
Ed's beat Davidson in 4, Darby handed Ed's a 3-0 defeat.

Seems to me the two teams in the state that are supposedly down, could potentially be 1 and 2.

The Elder-Moeller match were 3 VERY close games (28-26, 25-23, 25-22) that could have gone either way. The first two games, neither team led by more than 3 points. I don't think the 3-0 defeat compared to Darby's 3-2 defeat is really as big as you're implying.

Update on my Rankings

1a. Moe
1b. Elder
1c. X
4. Walsh
5. Alter
6. DeSales
7. Centerville
8. Darby
9. Davidson
10. St. Edwards

Updated:

1. Moeller
2. St. Xavier
3. Elder
4. Walsh
5. Alter
6. DeSales(Big week with SC, Mt Vernon, and Walsh... Chance to move big up and down)
7. Darby(Win over Davidson is big IMO, also Moeller game looks good for them)
8. Centerville
9. Davidson
10. Gahanna Lincoln(they knocked off my No.10 last week so they move in)
10a. St. Edward

HM: Lakota East, Dublin Coffman, Mt Vernon, St Charles

I also want to give a little love to Loveland.. 7-0 start which is very nice to see from their young program

I think Gahanna is getting overlooked so far. They are certainly streaky, but they have put together some decent results.

They have a decently tough schedule down the stretch (Mt. V, Coffman, Beavercreek, Walsh, DeSales, etc.)

And they knocked off St. Charles the other day, who you seem to be pretty high on.

Maybe Central OH Football is high on St. Charles, but I don't know anyone else that is. You are talking about the same guy that had Davidson in the top 4 just a week ago.

I still do not know why Gahanna and LE are mentioned in Central OH Football's top 10/HM when you have not even mentioned Fairfield.. Gahanna, a team that got handled by Oak Hills (and OH in turn got handled by Fairfield) and LE a team that hadn't played a single difficult opponent until they played Fairfield last night (and got beat 3-0).

Records are not everything. Quality over quantity.

The East is pretty hard to judge for DI and DII this year. I don't think that Darby or Davidson (who I guess are the cream of the crop for DI East) this year are gonna compete with the South or even Centerville.

For DII, I think everyone agrees that Walsh's resume is the best at this point based on the DII Showcase and the rest of their results for the year thus far. I think the gap between the DII East (DeSales, St. C, and Mt. V) and Alter/Walsh is much smaller than in Division I though.

DeSales and SC play later this week I think, so that could tell a lot about the East. The East and the South play each other in the semis at Capital this year so it looks like Walsh and Alter will face off in the Semi's.

Lakota East s out next week for rankings.. But Gahanna will probably remain in

I also am looking at quantity and St Charls has Will Eichel who is arguably the best player in the state, Alex Brown and Kevin Gallahger who both play for Vanguard National teams and a former National team player on the outside.. They have some talent.

I think Alter/DeSales are neck and neck at the moment with Walsh being the #1.. I think the DeSales win over Centerville may be the best win of the group.. Tied with Walsh over Alter

D1 East has proven they can play with anybody.. Well at least Darby has. Don't sleep on them

I wasn't saying St. Charles doesn't have some talent, but they haven't beaten a high quality East opponent for at least several years that I can recall let alone anyone else in the State.

Just skimming their schedule from the year thus far:

They played an Alter team close, but lost.
They played a Davidson team close, but lost.
They beat Mt. Vernon, who is maybe a little off their peak from previous years.
They played Gahanna tough, but lost.

They haven't beaten anyone of note. They have been solid but you can't really put them over DeSales until they get over the hump (not saying you did). I think they can certainly win the East (or at least beat DeSales once) this year. When you have arguably the best player in the state, winning the regional is always a possibility.

They will find out how good they are on Friday. At least to an extent. From their schedule, they play DeSales again at Home later in the year.

St. Charles can be very dangerous, and this Friday's match with DeSales will be huge in determining seeding going into the post-season. DeSales has been without their starting right side all season (did see action in 3 matches playing with a broken thumb) and he's not slated to return until next week. If they can go 2-1 in the coming 24 hour stretch without him, that would be a great accomplishment.
St. Charles 6:30 Friday
Mt. Vernon 10am Sat.
Walsh 11:30 Sat.

St. Charles win over Mt. Vernon was when Levi Rhoades was hurt. I think that match could have a different outcome if Mt. V was full strength.

DeSales could basically lock up the #1 seed in the East by Sunday. Or be sitting at #3ish depending on the Mt. V match.

That's a big three matches.

Having to travel to Mt. V makes Saturday that much more difficult for them. Luckily they are at home on Friday night for what should be a decent home crowd.

Updated:

1. Moeller
2. St. Xavier
3. Elder

4. Walsh
5. Alter
6. DeSales(Big week with SC, Mt Vernon, and Walsh... Chance to move big up and down)
7. Darby(Win over Davidson is big IMO, also Moeller game looks good for them)
8. Centerville
9. Davidson
10. Gahanna Lincoln(they knocked off my No.10 last week so they move in)
10a. St. Edward

HM: Lakota East, Dublin Coffman, Mt Vernon, St Charles

I also want to give a little love to Loveland.. 7-0 start which is very nice to see from their young program

These three are tough, but I'm wondering your reasoning for keeping Moe #1. They had the home sweep against Elder (and since the Panthers have been rolling), but IMO X has the best resume. They took Elder to 5 on the road and beat Moeller and Centerville on the road. Now I think Elder is playing the best ball right now, but I think X has the most impressive wins and one good (if there is such a thing) loss.

Loveland is a nice story, but who have they played?

These three are tough, but I'm wondering your reasoning for keeping Moe #1. They had the home sweep against Elder (and since the Panthers have been rolling), but IMO X has the best resume. They took Elder to 5 on the road and beat Moeller and Centerville on the road. Now I think Elder is playing the best ball right now, but I think X has the most impressive wins and one good (if there is such a thing) loss.

Loveland is a nice story, but who have they played?

No one, they just got swept by Mason too.. Their best win to date is Sycamore/Milford

Loveland is just a nice story.. Im glad to see a young program succeeding the way they are, but I don't believe they have any warrant for the rankings. That's why I mentioned that they should get a little love

Lakota East was in the Final 8 last year and I haven't seen them yet.. Gave them merit, but now Fairfield deserves more credit

A lot will be seen from this weekend

Updated Rankings (Post Centerville Elite)

1. St X
2. Elder
3. Moeller
4. Walsh
5. Alter
6. Darby
7. Davidson
8. Centerville
9. DeSales
10. Fairfield

Also, any frontrunners for D1 and D2 POYs?

D1 I would be leaning towards Beer, but could see either Talbot or Ben Luebbe taking it.

D2 I honestly don't know and am curious what others think. Is it still Feltz, Eichel, Vandenbrock? Or has someone from Walsh become the frontrunner with their solid team play?

Updated for the week of the 27th

1. St Xavier
1a. Elder
3. Walsh
4. Moeller
5. Darby
6. Alter
7. Davidson
8. DeSales
9. Centerville
10. Fairfield

HM: Mt. Vernon, St. Eds, Olentangy Liberty

I think Walsh looked really good this weekend, I'll give them a slight edge over Moeller as of now.. But it's close

DeSales disappointed, but according to Cadf is still not 100%... So should be better when they're at 100%.. Plus those three teams in less than 24 hours is tough

Love to Fairfield and some love to Olentangy Liberty for wins over Coffman and Gahanna

Alter has some big matches coming up, because they haven't had a big match recently. I Want to see how they look against some of the top teams.

POY:
D1: Beer(St. X)
D2: Luby(Walsh)

Throwing a name out there as a darkhorse for POY in D1, Kevin Siemer from Elder. Plays Setter from the back row, then hits opposite in the front row. Has been having as good a year as Beer IMO. Luebbe is having a strong year and rightfully should receive some consideration as should Talbot. I think it's a 4-horse race at this point between those guys and the final Elder/X match on Friday may decide who gets it, along with who gets the #1 in the South.

My statewide top 10:
1a. St Xavier - based on Elite result
1b. Elder - I think they're better than X, but recent head-to-head result
3. Walsh Jesuit
4. Archbishop Moeller
5. Hilliard Darby
6. Archbishop Alter
7. Hilliard Davidson
8. Mt Vernon
9. Centerville
10. St Francis DeSales