Post-covid Ohio wrestling.

WishYouWereHere

• 3 divisions (stays the same)

• 15 weight classes (106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 168, 176, 186, 198, 220, 285) (I’ve always had more trouble filling the light weights, and always seem to have a large group of bigger kids).

• allow 2 kids per school to enter sectionals (kids seem to fade away when they don’t see a post-season future).

• allow jr high to participate in high school events (will fill the empty lower weights and makes teams fuller. Also an added element of competition).

I’m not gonna explain myself on any of my items at this time. Just thought I’d throw this out and see what happens.
Don’t attack me, because, I have been knighted.
1616424417457.jpeg

We currently get 14 kids per school. Seems like this would be a step back. Also, what's the point of adding a weight class (up to 15) only to allow 2 kids per school to enter sectionals?

;-)
More kids get an opportunity, how is that a step back?
I like going to 15 weight classes. Also, LOVE the idea of having the ability to enter more than 1 kid.
I would like to be able to enter 20 kids, any weights, all 20 can score points.

More kids get an opportunity, how is that a step back?
I like going to 15 weight classes. Also, LOVE the idea of having the ability to enter more than 1 kid.
I would like to be able to enter 20 kids, any weights, all 20 can score points.
ghoastbusters2.gif

• 3 divisions (stays the same)

• 15 weight classes (106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 168, 176, 186, 198, 220, 285) (I’ve always had more trouble filling the light weights, and always seem to have a large group of bigger kids).

• allow 2 kids per school to enter sectionals (kids seem to fade away when they don’t see a post-season future).

• allow jr high to participate in high school events (will fill the empty lower weights and makes teams fuller. Also an added element of competition).
*Yes,
*No, 14 is plenty. For tournaments, personally, I like 12, but unless numbers drop so dramatically to justify it, I say keep it at 14.
*I'm neither for or against the 2 per class
*I can get behind the jr high competing for HS. I've seen this work when I was in Florida. I don't know if this was officially on the books but it was only their version of D3 that could do this and I was told only schools that had like a 7-12 building could consider their jh/hs as 1 team. Not sure how that would get policed, it made sense when I was told that (plus I was coaching at a D1 school) so I never questioned it. The biggest drawback to this being in D3 and not the other divisions is that you would get a lot of kids go to the local private school, get the varsity experience, then once they get to high school they'd enroll at their local public school.

Add odd number of weight classes allows for an obvious tie-breaker in duals. I would prefer 13 rather than 15, but I'll let that go for now.

I would support multiple (up to 2) entries from the same school in one weight class, with the limitation that the total number of entries cannot exceed the number of weight classes. I've seen this used in other sports. If there are 15 classes, then you can enter 15 competitors, with 0, 1, or 2 in each class. I don't know if this would impact the number of kids that advance from Sectional to District or District to State; I would argue for "no change" there.

Michigan allows for the second clause in the post above mine - for post-season only. It does not impact the advancement within the state series. For Michigan it's still top four from district to regional and then from regional to state (in their structure there are two districts feeding to each regional, due to having four divisions of the sport).

Michigan allows for the second clause in the post above mine - for post-season only. It does not impact the advancement within the state series. For Michigan it's still top four from district to regional and then from regional to state (in their structure there are two districts feeding to each regional, due to having four divisions of the sport).

I don't have a dog in this fight and having more kids wrestle is always good. However, I can tell you without fear of being wrong that if we were to have full brackets for the Sectional tournaments, there is NO way we have enough officials to cover the need. We didn't have enough this year.
Personal opinion, we do not need to add another weigh class. We need to fill the classes we have now and very few schools can do that.

However, I can tell you without fear of being wrong that if we were to have full brackets for the Sectional tournaments, there is NO way we have enough officials to cover the need. We didn't have enough this year.”

So now we need to recruit officials while we are recruiting wrestlers.
So what can we do to get more quality officials?
When will kids be able to redshirt?
I would think this has a simple equation...
• You can “redshirt” anytime you want before entering 9th grade (you have 4 yrs. of eligibility once in 9th grade).
• Only 8th graders can participate in high school events.
• If you do elect to wrestle in a high school event while in 8th grade, then you have 5 consecutive years of eligibility at the high school level.

Last edited:
Maybe its just me but I dont want to see district and state brackets with Graham wrestling Graham in the finals, or Eds and Eds, or Legacy and Legacy, etc.

If you can enter 2 kids per weight the super teams will get "superer" because now you don't have to wait your turn to wrestle in the post season. Now you can have the great practice room and the immediate gratification of having a post season. Its as crazy as having your cake and eating it too!

You may have a D1 top 8 consisting of 2 Eds kids, 2 Wadsworth, 2 Eylria, and 2 Coffman. I know this is an extremity but it is closer to reality than most are willing to admit.

I know that the state is going to be cracking down on tournaments that allow "extras" in moving forward, so why would the state allow extras into the postseason?

I know that the state is going to be cracking down on tournaments that allow "extras" in moving forward, so why would the state allow extras into the postseason?
So that they wouldn't have to "crack down" .

The real question is, why are they cracking down on allowing extras in tournaments?

I understand that is a "rule", but what does it hurt / harm to put 'extras' in open slots in a tourney?

I understand that is a "rule", but what does it hurt / harm to put 'extras' in open slots in a tourney?
I agree, and that really hurts younger and inexperienced wrestlers who need mat time. But I am just going off of what I have been told by some individuals in the know. Hopefully more JV/B Tournaments pop up to address this.

I agree, and that really hurts younger and inexperienced wrestlers who need mat time. But I am just going off of what I have been told by some individuals in the know. Hopefully more JV/B Tournaments pop up to address this.
You may run into the issue of lack of officials like we did this last year for some events.

Something I'm a little torn on is the split sessions. I was going to ask this in its own thread but, from a spectator standpoint, the splits were kind of nice with that quick turnaround. Now, as a host site for sectional, I did not care for it because I was there all day regardless, but district and state I only had 1 qualifier in the afternoon session so it was kind of nice being able to roll in and only be there for 3.5 hrs for 4ish rounds.

Logistically, I get it could be a nightmare, but I think for 2 day events this could be beneficial, day 1 run A and B groups to get more rounds done and then bring everyone back for day 2 to run the semis/cons semis, and the placement rounds.

Unless someone could write a more compelling argument for it, I don't see it catching on for 1 day events.
**Assuming you could bring your whole team or had the ability to bring a split squad without major issues**

You may run into the issue of lack of officials like we did this last year for some events.

Something I'm a little torn on is the split sessions. I was going to ask this in its own thread but, from a spectator standpoint, the splits were kind of nice with that quick turnaround. Now, as a host site for sectional, I did not care for it because I was there all day regardless, but district and state I only had 1 qualifier in the afternoon session so it was kind of nice being able to roll in and only be there for 3.5 hrs for 4ish rounds.

Logistically, I get it could be a nightmare, but I think for 2 day events this could be beneficial, day 1 run A and B groups to get more rounds done and then bring everyone back for day 2 to run the semis/cons semis, and the placement rounds.

Unless someone could write a more compelling argument for it, I don't see it catching on for 1 day events.
**Assuming you could bring your whole team or had the ability to bring a split squad without major issues**

As a parent, we only wrestled 2 individual tournaments this year. One was a true bracket early in the season (Barnesville) and one was a pool. The Barnesville tournament was terribly long with the logistics they had in place for limiting spectator in the gym. The tournament ran well but with the setup they had with wrist bands they had a lot of down time on mats and it really drug the time out. This would have been a better tournament doing a split session. It was early in the year and everyone was still feeling things out. I get it, I am not complaining.

Sectionals, Dists, and state with the split sessions was wonderful from a time standpoint. In and out of gyms in several hours. But a bummer that you cant watch all the kids on your team wrestle. Im torn on what i would prefer for the future.

Yeah, not a fan of not being able to watch your teammates compete. Hopefully, that is something that can be figured out going forward if things stay this way.

I am a fan of going back to more duals, tri's & quads...think the parents & many families probably are as well as opposed to sitting in the gym all day. It can also help to bring more fans to the sport as well.

Yeah, not a fan of not being able to watch your teammates compete. Hopefully, that is something that can be figured out going forward if things stay this way.
I would hope the spectator thing wouldn't be an issue, like in my mind spectators can stay and watch groups and/or whole teams could go.

Like I was saying earlier, not 100% how this would work logistically during the season, especially when you could run a whole group if you wanted to. I guess in my mind, discussing this with my coaches, is you could knock out a whole tourny for the morning group with minimal downtime, then the break between the 2 groups is that built in break for everyone (workers, refs, etc.) and then do the same thing in the afternoon that you did in the morning or make whatever adjustments to help move it along. Plus, do awards after each group cuts down on that hanging out time, only thing whole teams would need to be there for is team award.

However, I can tell you without fear of being wrong that if we were to have full brackets for the Sectional tournaments, there is NO way we have enough officials to cover the need. We didn't have enough this year.”

So now we need to recruit officials while we are recruiting wrestlers.
So what can we do to get more quality officials?

I would think this has a simple equation...
• You can “redshirt” anytime you want before entering 9th grade (you have 4 yrs. of eligibility once in 9th grade).
• Only 8th graders can participate in high school events.
• If you do elect to wrestle in a high school event while in 8th grade, then you have 5 consecutive years of eligibility at the high school level.
5 years in Ohio????? Never ever heard this before.This is only in certain sports and only if there isn't enough boys able to fill a line-up.

I agree that these reasons are legitimate for not allowing 2 kids at the same weight (long, drawn-out sectionals & two finalists from the same “super” schools).
One positive for the kids would be they won’t have to do a hard cut, or wrestle way over their weight just to participate.

Last edited:
And I agree that all-day tournaments suck for parents, some coaches, and even wrestlers.
But the finals are usually pretty awesome!!! 1st place on middle mat and 3rd & 5th on the sides.
Getting an award and standing on some type of podium and getting pictures taken by parents, grandparents and just being recognized.
This is what kids look forward to. And especially kids that don’t have a full team.

You make no sense.
First you said it should be 14 weights then you shifted and listed 13 weights, then you collapsed and claim 15 is the right number.

Here is your quote from a previous thread

Mr. WishYouWereHere” said

“It should be 14 weights. But if you insist, here are the 13 new weights beginning in the 2022-23 season... 112, 118, 124, 130, 137, 144, 151, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285.”

can you please make up your mind and stop waffling.

and listen to the others who said “wrestling doesn’t need to be changed inOhio. They said it is perfect.
You criticised the proposal to reduce Divisions, but you want more weight classes while the rest of the nation is looking to reduce weights in order to reduce forfeits.

You make no sense.
First you said it should be 14 weights then you shifted and listed 13 weights, then you collapsed and claim 15 is the right number.

Here is your quote from a previous thread

Mr. WishYouWereHere” said

“It should be 14 weights. But if you insist, here are the 13 new weights beginning in the 2022-23 season... 112, 118, 124, 130, 137, 144, 151, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285.”

can you please make up your mind and stop waffling.

and listen to the others who said “wrestling doesn’t need to be changed inOhio. They said it is perfect.
You criticised the proposal to reduce Divisions, but you want more weight classes while the rest of the nation is looking to reduce weights in order to reduce forfeits.
It’s ok dude. Breath deep and relax.
And how did you know I had waffles for breakfast this morning? Is it the covid vaccine? Are you tracking me?
This is what I said ...
“It should be 14 weights
But if you insist, here are the 13 new weights beginning in the 2022-23 season...
112, 118, 124, 130, 137, 144, 151, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285.“
This was me having fun... all I did was remove the 106 class and move some weights around just to make 13. I then expected to get a backlash of people to say that there must be a 106 class, which would have led me back to my 15 classes.
I really do believe 15 is the perfect number of weights. And here they are again for your viewing pleasure...
106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 168, 176, 186, 198, 220, 285.
And another point that you make which is false. You say that less weight classes reduce forfeits. There are no forfeits at individual tournaments, only byes. If I do not enter my team into a dual/tri/quad, and only enter into individual tournaments, my empty weights do not cause forfeits (unless my wrestler doesn’t make weight, or becomes injured, etc).

Last edited:
I really thought the previous weight class breakdown was better than the most current one. There were 9 weight classes between 103 and 152. I really liked the breakdown 25,30,35,40,45,52 because that's almost half the weights and that's usually where over half of the wrestlers on the roster are coming from on teams. Moving 103 up to 106 doesn't look like much but essentially it created 3 weight classes in a short span of weight distribution 106,113,120 that can't feed those spots. So instead of having more numbers at 113 and 120 we have diluted these weight classes by essential making 106 and 113 very similar by end of season with 4lb allowance. Moving it back to 103 will decrease the deflection of smaller 113 to 106 because even with 4lb growth allowances its still 107 and a much harder cut and hold. Watching the 106lb weight class at the state tourn and most of the guys are close to 120 on the second day if not higher.
Who knows whats right? If we're going to change anything let's look at things that might actually help and can be easily reversed if they don't work. Hard to get a weight class back after you remove it. Things like moving to 6 match a day maximum,no growth allowance, no weigh outs etc.