Polar Bear Hockey

BJUSMA

The Jackson Polar Bear Hockey club made the state playoffs. For those unfamiliar, there are 3 Divisions in the state that play Division I high school club hockey. Each Division sends 4 teams to the state playoffs for a total of 12 teams. Each team plays 3 games - one on Friday night (5th of March), and two games on Saturday. The top 4 teams of 12 will then advance to the semi-final games on Sunday morning. The winners play in the championship on Sunday afternoon.

It was a tortured path to make it this far as the team lost the second game of the league tournament on Tuesday night. The team then went on to win Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday night to get into the finals against the Medina Bees on Saturday night. The Bears lost a tough game 2-0 with one of those goals an empty netter near the end of the game. Still it was a great showing for the Bears Hockey program as they will represent the Cleveland area as the #2 seed from our league.

Congratulations to the players and good luck next week end in the state playoffs.

Is the Bears Hockey team made up of just Jackson students or is it like the Hoover team which is I believe made up of boys from the area. I do not for the life of me understand this hockey situration. Does the school fund the program or do they have to make it on their own. I do know it is an expensive sport what with rink rental etc. Hopefully the Bears are a Jackson High School supported sport.

The Jackson Polar Bears is a hockey club meaning that we have players from other schools. There are not enough players from Jackson to make an all Jackson team so the Polar Bears compete in the Division I club level. Hoover is a varsity team which is made up of 100% of North Canton High School students.

The Jackson Team has 9 players currently (of 22) from Jackson. Other schools are Green (3), St. Thomas Aquinas (4), Glen Oak (3), Revere (1), CCC (1), and Barberton (1).

Jackson plays several varsity teams throughout the season including Hoover. It is hit or miss -- some schools have very good teams while others are very weak. It is the same with club level hockey.

As far as the financials, the Jackson Hockey Club gets no help from the school, but the players are required to be compliant with all rules such as g.p.a. and the drug & alcohol program. The program is funded by the parents primarily through dues although fund raisers are available to help off set the dues.

I am unsure of what help Hoover gets from the school, but I doubt it is much. I'd bet the majority if not all of the funding comes primarily from the parents.

Jackson plays in the NCHSHL -- North Coast High School Hockey League which has 11 club teams. The top 4 teams qualify for the state playoffs. Jackson finished 2nd in the league.

Hope this post helps your understanding and I encourage you to watch a game next year.

Thanks Purple, but do they play in the same league? Are there any other club teams or OHSAA teams in the area. Thanks in advance.

No they do not play in the same league. Jackson plays in a league with other high school clubs while Hoover plays in a league with other Varsity Teams. By the way, the Jackson team won their 3 preliminary games and made it to the state semi-final, but lost to Athens this morning.